buying my first jet boat
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread:
buying my first jet boat

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default buying my first jet boat

    hello im getting ready to buy my first jet boat a 76 baja bowrider 460 ford w berkley jet
    are there any major things i need to look for right away
    the owner has had it for 15 years and has every reciept for it that has been fixed on it the pump has been rebuilt and all in all the boat looks to be in very good shape
    here is the link to the boat if anyone has any info on it that i may need to know Baja Bad Ass Jet Boat

    ok and one last question at the risk of sounding like a ass what is the part that makes the jet boats throw the huge roostertail i always thought it was a place divertor but i may be wrong ive been around boats a majority of my life but done have a lot of hands on experiance with jet boats i am a truck and equipment mechanic by trade anda drag racer/ engine builder as my hobby and mostly a ford guy so the ford 460 is a plus to me

    thanks again

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Pink Taco Reagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, United States
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Yes the place diverter is what throws the big rooster tail. I wld b a lil skeptical on the motor as the ad states it cld run better with new/rebuilt motor. But for 3k make him take u for a lake test, and if i runs well, no leaks, starts easy everytime(specially when hot). It cld b a nice starter/project. Get on the water my friend.

  4. #3
    Senior Member jamesblown97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    st george ut
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Yes the place diverter is what throws the big rooster tail. I wld b a lil skeptical on the motor as the ad states it cld run better with new/rebuilt motor. But for 3k make him take u for a lake test, and if i runs well, no leaks, starts easy everytime(specially when hot). It cld b a nice starter/project. Get on the water my friend.
    yeah what he said get him to take you to the lake for bit i bought mine without going to the lake and he said everything was good to go fired it up for me and everything now ive owned for for one year and have over 4 grand into over what i paid i got raped and dont want anybody else to get the shaft the way i did look it over really well.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    yea i was planning on having him take me out in it before i put the perverbial money on the wood for the boat, from talking to him he seems very legitimate and honest about the little stuff it needs. i was just going to cruise it for the summer then tear into the engine and pump over next winter if its not quite peppy enuff for me i will toss my spare rpm air gap intake 950 quickfuel carb and speedtech nitrous plate on it and im sure that will either make it fast enuff or give me a reason to build a 514 w kasse heads for it and rattle my eardrums out lol j/k
    i have always wanted to do a turbo bbf in a jet boat tho and i think this would be a good candidate the brutal torque and the fact that it can be mild cammed and still pull hard seem very tempting to me
    Last edited by jdiding; 04-19-2012 at 07:50 PM.

  7. #5
    Jet boat service
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sebastopol Cal.
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Good luck on your buy.. If you need to get more info before you buy , or if you do. Shoot me a PM. Jim

  8. #6
    Junior Member Whiplash Splash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    being a mechanic you'll pick it up quick, just research this site you will find all the info you need and your answers here it just takes patience and time. where are you from where will you be boating?

  9. #7
    Blown, OHBA Member Wild Hair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Okmulgee Okla.
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdiding View Post
    yea i was planning on having him take me out in it before i put the perverbial money on the wood for the boat, from talking to him he seems very legitimate and honest about the little stuff it needs. i was just going to cruise it for the summer then tear into the engine and pump over next winter if its not quite peppy enuff for me i will toss my spare rpm air gap intake 950 quickfuel carb and speedtech nitrous plate on it and im sure that will either make it fast enuff or give me a reason to build a 514 w kasse heads for it and rattle my eardrums out lol j/k
    i have always wanted to do a turbo bbf in a jet boat tho and i think this would be a good candidate the brutal torque and the fact that it can be mild cammed and still pull hard seem very tempting to me
    If your wanting to put some power to it I would sugest finding a hull that was designed to handle it. That is a runabout, family style boat, and not a hot rod. Just my 2 cents.
    OHBA GROWTH THROUGH PARTICIPATION
    Built Cheyenne Tuff, With Chevy Stuff.
    well the block is GM any ways


    GOD BLESS AMERICA AND KEEP HER SAFE

    LOCK N LOAD AMERICA, OUR 2nd AMENDMENT
    IS UNDER FIRE


  10. #8
    Credaroli Images
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Hair View Post
    If your wanting to put some power to it I would sugest finding a hull that was designed to handle it. That is a runabout, family style boat, and not a hot rod. Just my 2 cents.
    My thoughts exactly. There are plenty of more suitable hulls to be had out there, if hot rodding it is your intention. I'm sure that you see something that you like, and I don't mean to take anything away from that. The classified on this site have several similarly priced boats that might be better suited for a good go-fast project.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95