i confused myself reading. please help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
i confused myself reading. please help

  1. #1
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default i confused myself reading. please help

    i have a few pictures off this site that have brought me questions i cant search out. they are of other members boats and not my own. if you know what they are please pick a colored arrow and explain away

    first in red and yellow. these look like some kind of super bearing holder and a clear cup for something jet related

    second in green looks like a transom adapter for a set back and light blue is this welded to the suction housing? i have seen similar set ups in many boats but this is the best picture to draw on

    last pink looks like a double steering system of some sort and teal seems like the support that was mentioned to hold the weight of the jet from taking the transom off, or do i have these mixed up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	157884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0086.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	157885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transom3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	157886  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Boss of the McIntyre Mob danhercules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norco
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    i have a few pictures off this site that have brought me questions i cant search out. they are of other members boats and not my own. if you know what they are please pick a colored arrow and explain away

    first in red and yellow. these look like some kind of super bearing holder and a clear cup for something jet related

    second in green looks like a transom adapter for a set back and light blue is this welded to the suction housing? i have seen similar set ups in many boats but this is the best picture to draw on

    last pink looks like a double steering system of some sort and teal seems like the support that was mentioned to hold the weight of the jet from taking the transom off, or do i have these mixed up

    First pic. Its a "jet away" Its like a free wheel rachet on a bike. If the motor blows, the rachet will free wheel so the back of the boat dose not rise causing the nose to stuff on shutdown. Also a cool neutral to have so the impeller does not spin on dry starts.

    The cup is for oil for the bearing.

    Second, yes, transom adaptor. Not welded but silicone for a water seal

    Third. It is a cable steering system lots of racers use. Forgot the name. Some one will chime it. And yes, its a pump support. Keeps things from wanting to move.


    Very first TPR 21' Deck. 528 BBF 736hp on pump gas built by High Flow Dynamics

    McIntyre Mob. Where the rejects play!

  4. #3
    Senior Member sandeggo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vista, Big River California, United States
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    Calgo steering

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    thank you very much. i was more correct than i thought i would be. back to reading about boats

  7. #5
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default more questions

    i found this picture on CL and was wondering if this is an appropriate plumbing set up.
    to me it looks like the water comes from the large hose under the oil filter, tees off to the engine intake and then a bypass to the exhaust.
    goes through the engine and then to a thermostat that also feeds exhaust. it all seems pretty straight forward as long as the thermostat is functioning correctly. it also seems that an engine at temp would burn more efficiently opposed to a cold engine. i am curious about this set up because i dont know how to get my engine any warmer than a hundred degrees and with the hull swap i feel a few other things need change as well

    question. i do not see a bassett valve for low idle water to exhaust, and if there was one would you put it where the exhaust water supply comes out and just have a separate dump out the boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5Nd5Ed5J43Ed3Gd3L7c4qb1637791af33111c.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	158174  

  8. #6
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    i found this picture on CL and was wondering if this is an appropriate plumbing set up.
    to me it looks like the water comes from the large hose under the oil filter, tees off to the engine intake and then a bypass to the exhaust.
    goes through the engine and then to a thermostat that also feeds exhaust. it all seems pretty straight forward as long as the thermostat is functioning correctly. it also seems that an engine at temp would burn more efficiently opposed to a cold engine. i am curious about this set up because i dont know how to get my engine any warmer than a hundred degrees and with the hull swap i feel a few other things need change as well

    question. i do not see a bassett valve for low idle water to exhaust, and if there was one would you put it where the exhaust water supply comes out and just have a separate dump out the boat

    Belive what your seeing is a water jacketeted header setup which is plumbed differently the water injected , not likley there is actually a T stat in the housing Tom

  9. #7
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    could you please explain the difference tom

  10. #8
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,861

    Default

    Looks like a sterndrive water system.

    It makes sure the jacketed headers are fed water before the thermostat opens up. Bypass hose going to the top of the tstat housing.
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  11. #9
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    first in red and yellow. these look like some kind of super bearing holder and a clear cup for something jet related
    when a jetaway is installed, the thrust bearing is lubricated by the jetaway fluid instead of grease. when the fluid gets hot enough, it can pressurize the cavity, resulting in the fluid exiting somewhere. the cup is a bearing oiler, used on some industrial motors. by removing the zirk, the bearing oiler gives the pressurized cavity a place to vent, collecting any jetaway fluid that might have otherwise spilled into the bilge.

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    it also seems that an engine at temp would burn more efficiently opposed to a cold engine. i am curious about this set up because i dont know how to get my engine any warmer than a hundred degrees and with the hull swap i feel a few other things need change as well
    explain what you mean by "an engine at temp" vs a "cold engine"? if you're referring to the WATER temperature gauge, in a jet boat, that is not an accurate measurement of engine temp. it is water exit temp. most all jets have a once through cooling system, meaning lake/river water is pumped through the engine and back into the lake/river. the objective of the system is to remove heat from the engine. not necessarily to obtain a specific temp reading on a gauge. simply put, the heat removed is the product of Tout - Tin x flow rate (lbm/hr). in a given day on a given lake, Tin never changes. if flow rate is increased, Tout decreases. if flow rate is decreased, Tout increases. considering that most lake/river water this time of year is around 50-60 degrees, decreasing flow to the point the Tout gauge reads 180 isn't necessarily a good idea. with this kind of cooling system, oil temp is going to run 70-100 degrees higher than Tout.
    a warm engine is an engine that's nice and warm to the touch, with the oil temp up to normal operating temp.

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    question. i do not see a bassett valve for low idle water to exhaust, and if there was one would you put it where the exhaust water supply comes out and just have a separate dump out the boat
    you only need a basset valve to feed water injected headers. you don't want water running into the header loops below 1500-2000rpm as you can get into reversion. the spring in the T valve is supposed to close off water flow at 1500 rpm...

  12. #10
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    explain what you mean by "an engine at temp" vs a "cold engine"? if you're referring to the WATER temperature gauge, in a jet boat, that is not an accurate measurement of engine temp. it is water exit temp. most all jets have a once through cooling system, meaning lake/river water is pumped through the engine and back into the lake/river. the objective of the system is to remove heat from the engine. not necessarily to obtain a specific temp reading on a gauge. simply put, the heat removed is the product of Tout - Tin x flow rate (lbm/hr). in a given day on a given lake, Tin never changes. if flow rate is increased, Tout decreases. if flow rate is decreased, Tout increases. considering that most lake/river water this time of year is around 50-60 degrees, decreasing flow to the point the Tout gauge reads 180 isn't necessarily a good idea. with this kind of cooling system, oil temp is going to run 70-100 degrees higher than Tout.
    a warm engine is an engine that's nice and warm to the touch, with the oil temp up to normal operating temp.
    this is good to know. i am only familiar with auto systems that recycle the coolant. being that i only get one shot with lake water would it be better practice to put my temp gauge in the oil to measure aprox engine temp, or would a random port in the block be better? also what would a good temp for an engine be based on your location provided?

  13. #11
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    is this bracket a correct way to extend stringers in the boat? or do you need to replace the whole piece of wood?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21Eliminator003.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	158293  

  14. #12
    Senior Member Fonz69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Frozen Tundra, WI
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by $uperJoe View Post
    is this bracket a correct way to extend stringers in the boat? or do you need to replace the whole piece of wood?


    WTF?

    Who hacked that chunk out of the stringer?

    The best I can tell of what you are asking is the aluminum plates on the stringer look like they are giving support to the 3 point engine mounts.

    If you want a full length stringer boat then "right" way is to install new stringers front to back or in this economy it might be cheaper just finding a boat hull with them allready in it and sell your hull.

  15. #13
    Senior Member $uperJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fonz69 View Post
    WTF?

    Who hacked that chunk out of the stringer?

    The best I can tell of what you are asking is the aluminum plates on the stringer look like they are giving support to the 3 point engine mounts.

    If you want a full length stringer boat then "right" way is to install new stringers front to back or in this economy it might be cheaper just finding a boat hull with them allready in it and sell your hull.
    i didnt see the motor mount until you pointed it out. i dont know if i want a full stringer boat. i dont understand exactly what the value is compared to the cost to install them, as i havent read on that subject yet

  16. #14
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    .

    explain what you mean by "an engine at temp" vs a "cold engine"? if you're referring to the WATER temperature gauge, in a jet boat, that is not an accurate measurement of engine temp. it is water exit temp. most all jets have a once through cooling system, meaning lake/river water is pumped through the engine and back into the lake/river. the objective of the system is to remove heat from the engine. not necessarily to obtain a specific temp reading on a gauge. simply put, the heat removed is the product of Tout - Tin x flow rate (lbm/hr). in a given day on a given lake, Tin never changes. if flow rate is increased, Tout decreases. if flow rate is decreased, Tout increases. considering that most lake/river water this time of year is around 50-60 degrees, decreasing flow to the point the Tout gauge reads 180 isn't necessarily a good idea. with this kind of cooling system, oil temp is going to run 70-100 degrees higher than Tout.
    a warm engine is an engine that's nice and warm to the touch, with the oil temp up to normal operating temp.
    ...
    well stated BP.

    Figured out years ago if we ran the oil temp at 190-200* under cruise conditions and the water temp just ends up being what it is to control the oil temp.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95