Glad I didn't sell it.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread:
Glad I didn't sell it.

  1. #1
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default Glad I didn't sell it.

    Last year was pretty miserable after scattering my motor on the first day of the season.
    Spent most of the summer spending money I didn't have rebuilding the thing, and came sooo close to selling it...many times.
    Being unemployed was a great motivator.
    Glad I didn't.
    I just started trucker school, and should be gainfully employed fairly soon.(fingers and toes crossed)

    After 3 seasons of basically solo runs, my friend Fred got his 73 Kona after a 3 year meticulous build, so now
    we have at least two boats to run around in.
    That Kona is sweet....lordy.

    Just rewired my entire boat too, so hopefully my hot start problems will go away...and I have gauges that actually work now.

    Anyway, looking forward to a good season of boating.


    Gas prices are a bit scary, but that's life.
    100 years from now, none of this will matter.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member shadlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boise, Idaho, United States
    Posts
    41

    Default truck driving

    After you get that CDL look into coming up to N. Dakota. Making a killing up here! Tons of places hiring. You'd probably be looking over 80g's your first year. I work two weeks and then a week off. Not to bad. Good luck with the boat too!

  4. #3
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadlee View Post
    After you get that CDL look into coming up to N. Dakota. Making a killing up here! Tons of places hiring. You'd probably be looking over 80g's your first year. I work two weeks and then a week off. Not to bad. Good luck with the boat too!

    I've heard about that before.
    I hear there aren't even enough rentals up there, and people are living in their cars just to have work.
    I'm trapped here in the valley for a while, but getting out of cal is on the bucket list.
    I start classes tomorrow, and will have my CDL in a month.
    Been sitting on my ass for over 2 years.
    Really looking forward to a new career in trucking.....and some new carbs for the boat.
    100 years from now, none of this will matter.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    058
    058 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    Last year was pretty miserable after scattering my motor on the first day of the season.
    Spent most of the summer spending money I didn't have rebuilding the thing, and came sooo close to selling it...many times.
    Being unemployed was a great motivator.
    Glad I didn't.
    I just started trucker school, and should be gainfully employed fairly soon.(fingers and toes crossed)
    After 3 seasons of basically solo runs, my friend Fred got his 73 Kona after a 3 year meticulous build, so now
    we have at least two boats to run around in.
    That Kona is sweet....lordy.

    Just rewired my entire boat too, so hopefully my hot start problems will go away...and I have gauges that actually work now.

    Anyway, looking forward to a good season of boating.


    Gas prices are a bit scary, but that's life.
    As a truck owner/operator for the last 40 years all I can say is good luck....I'd take the advice of going to the Dakotas and find a decent paying job.
    Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved. "Good grief you're an irritating blowhard...." [Tex 6/16/11]

  7. #5
    Senior Member jet pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hesperia California
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 058 View Post
    As a truck owner/operator for the last 40 years all I can say is good luck....I'd take the advice of going to the Dakotas and find a decent paying job.
    I was an owner/operator for many years when trucking was good. and I second 058's comment!

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Seriously, as a life long resident here, dont come here unless you have somewhere to live lined up before hand. Unless you like living in your car. When people say "It cant be that bad there, I will find something..." Really it is that bad here. The wait list on most apartments is around 2 years. There are new houses for sale but they are crazy expensive and NOT WORTH THE WOOD THEY ARE BUILT FROM! 3 bedroom 2 bath houses in Williston rent for around 2500 to 3500 month. One bedroom apartments go from 900 to 1500/month and like I said earlier, around a 2 year wait to get one. Yes there are exceptions and on occasion something cheap comes available, but how fast do you think they are snatched up?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95