Need some advice on finding the right boat for me
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 18

Thread:
Need some advice on finding the right boat for me

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denton, Tx
    Posts
    6

    Default Need some advice on finding the right boat for me

    Well, first off I hate joining a forum like this where my first post is just newb questions... So go easy on me please! Feel free to skip the first part of this as it's mostly my intro/plans for whatever boat I buy.

    A little about me:
    - My DD is an 87 Grand National on E85...
    - I've been working in the oilfield for 7 months now, and my budget isn't crazy, but I do make enough for toys.
    - Before the new job, I worked for over 4 years in the Monster Truck industry. I am familiar with Blown/Injected alcohol BBCs, and what a bitch they are.
    - I am very mechanically inclined, significantly more experienced than most 24 year olds, and not afraid to ask how to do things the RIGHT way.
    - My time is limited due to work, my space is limited to my two car garage
    - I have moderate fab skills and limited tools, but lots and lots of enthusiastic friends.

    Ok, first things first. Here is what I've decided I want: Jet boat, seating for at least 5,Rear bench faces forward(not towards engine). I really like how the Taylor SS looks, and the TX19s are also sick.

    I've been "in the market" for a good solid boat for around a year, but I'm starting to think I just don't know enough to make an informed decision.

    This boat will be a lake boat only... Looks, style, and having 800-1000hp on tap are the only things I care about. I don't care about doing 100mph, drag racing, or anything other than showing off and having fun. Haters, feel free to hate, but I'm being completely honest here. Although it may sound like a contradiction, my goals are simplicity while being completely overkill.

    It will be twin turbo, run off E85, and more than likely run a blow through carb from CSU. I am completely aware of how much my engine program will cost. I have not decided if the engine will be BBC based or LsX based. I am open to running a blower, but more partial to twins for various reasons.

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Questions:
    Should I buy a completed project?
    I know there are plenty of benefits to buying a good running boat, but my primary concern is that I honestly don't know enough about jet boats to not get completely hosed. I know next to nothing about structural fiberglass work, stringer condition, jet pump condition ect. I've got my mechanical background, but that's not going to save me from a nicely covered hack job. This is really what I'd like to do, mainly due to the fact that someone else has already dumped a ton of time and money into making a nice boat already. I can simply change what I don't like, but I'll at least know how everything is supposed to go together. The real issue here is finding one I like for a price I can afford. I'm comfortable spending $5-8,000 for a lake ready boat.

    Should I buy a complete running boat that "needs work"?
    I am completely open to custom interior and paint work. Paint I know very well, interior work on the other hand is a complete mystery. I see quite a few quality boats missing their rear bench seat, which for me is essential. I'd love to build my own custom interior, but I don't even know where to start. The biggest thing I'm worried about is buying someone's disaster and having to pay someone to fix it.

    So what do you guys think? Is there anywhere I can go read or learn about things like building custom seats, or how to check the structural integrity of a boat? Where would you look for good deals on boats? I am very serious about this, and I am in no hurry to buy right now. I'll be happy if I get out on the lake by next summer.

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    208

    Default

    I know a 19 would be cramped for 5.
    A 21 would offer at least a little more room, and with that much hp, you'll be able to propel a full crew without issue. Even with room for 5, I don't like taking more than me and my girl.

  4. #3
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    A lake ready boat. 800-1000 hp. Twin Turbos. You want to spend 5k to 8k. I think you need to reevaluate your wants and needs. You will need at least a 21 ft boat to be a bit comfortable. I think you might find something for maybe 15k or more. More likely 20k
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Cole SS cole ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rochester, wa.
    Posts
    139

    Default

    One thing to consider if is you will be packing any kids? And all the gear that goes with it. Now or in the future you may have to deal with that.

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denton, Tx
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFORCE View Post
    A lake ready boat. 800-1000 hp. Twin Turbos. You want to spend 5k to 8k. I think you need to reevaluate your wants and needs. You will need at least a 21 ft boat to be a bit comfortable. I think you might find something for maybe 15k or more. More likely 20k
    No 5-8K for a lake ready boat... my engine will go in later. I'm budgeting 15K for the engine,fuel system, ect.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Denton, Tx
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cole ss View Post
    One thing to consider if is you will be packing any kids? And all the gear that goes with it. Now or in the future you may have to deal with that.
    No kids... ever. I'm only 24 and the only thing kid sized going on this boat may be a gymnast or two

  9. #7
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,810

    Default

    How much boating experience do you have? I hate to see someone that hasn't any experience on the water with 800-1000HP on tap. In fact I hate it when anyone buys a boat and has no experience but jumps in it and goes without getting familiar with boating and rules of the water.

    That being said, know that it always cost more over time to build a project boat then it does to pop with the initial $$$ and buy a ready to go boat. You never get your money out of them.

  10. #8
    Young & Dumb FrederickFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    East Brady Pa
    Posts
    96

    Default

    I've been in a boat since I was born. Don't buy a project, you'll get sick of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mebaby.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	167363

  11. #9
    Senior Member ICECREAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Hey Adam, I think you should be able to buy a nice used jet in the $8000.00 range pretty easily. I would look for something relitively mild 4-500 hp ranget to start. Be more interested in a boat that the previous owner was proud of, not some "100 mph" Craiglist or ebay find that the seller doesn't seem to know shit about.
    If you've been around hot rod stuff like you say, use the same knowledge and experience when looking at a boat as you would if you were looking at monster truck with a blown alky motor in it. Does the rigging look like it was done buy a 16 yr old guy who's been installing stereo's for about a week and thinks Pick-a- part is the first stop for parts. Or, is the attention to detail, wiring, plumbing, cable routing etc what you'd expect to see on a quality piece. Does the motor look like it's been apart so many times it should have zippers instead of bolts? Is silicone ooozing out of every mating surface and yet it still leaks all fluid you put in it? Don't buy on emotion. Don't get caught staring at the chrome or the killer stereo and miss all the warning signs of trouble. In short, I wouldn't be looking for a diamond in the ruff for your fist boat, but a good running boat someone owned a loved and is selling for what ever personal reason.

    After you get your first jet boat, use it and give yourself some time to learn how a jet boat works mechanically as well as an operator. Learn the different types of hulls Learn and which ones are capable of housing a 1000 hp power plant realistically, there's really not that many.

    Try to hook up with the local knowledge, there seems to be a fare amount in the Texas area. There is a Texas Hot boats forum that may get you hooked up with the more local seen, probably a good place to start a search for your first boat.

    I wouldn't be in to big of a hurry to get a "Dragon Slayer" of a boat until you gain some experience and knowledge.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Connell View Post
    Well, first off I hate joining a forum like this where my first post is just newb questions... So go easy on me please! Feel free to skip the first part of this as it's mostly my intro/plans for whatever boat I buy.

    A little about me:
    - My DD is an 87 Grand National on E85...
    - I've been working in the oilfield for 7 months now, and my budget isn't crazy, but I do make enough for toys.
    - Before the new job, I worked for over 4 years in the Monster Truck industry. I am familiar with Blown/Injected alcohol BBCs, and what a bitch they are.
    - I am very mechanically inclined, significantly more experienced than most 24 year olds, and not afraid to ask how to do things the RIGHT way.
    - My time is limited due to work, my space is limited to my two car garage
    - I have moderate fab skills and limited tools, but lots and lots of enthusiastic friends.

    Ok, first things first. Here is what I've decided I want: Jet boat, seating for at least 5,Rear bench faces forward(not towards engine). I really like how the Taylor SS looks, and the TX19s are also sick.

    I've been "in the market" for a good solid boat for around a year, but I'm starting to think I just don't know enough to make an informed decision.

    This boat will be a lake boat only... Looks, style, and having 800-1000hp on tap are the only things I care about. I don't care about doing 100mph, drag racing, or anything other than showing off and having fun. Haters, feel free to hate, but I'm being completely honest here. Although it may sound like a contradiction, my goals are simplicity while being completely overkill.

    It will be twin turbo, run off E85, and more than likely run a blow through carb from CSU. I am completely aware of how much my engine program will cost. I have not decided if the engine will be BBC based or LsX based. I am open to running a blower, but more partial to twins for various reasons.

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Questions:
    Should I buy a completed project?
    I know there are plenty of benefits to buying a good running boat, but my primary concern is that I honestly don't know enough about jet boats to not get completely hosed. I know next to nothing about structural fiberglass work, stringer condition, jet pump condition ect. I've got my mechanical background, but that's not going to save me from a nicely covered hack job. This is really what I'd like to do, mainly due to the fact that someone else has already dumped a ton of time and money into making a nice boat already. I can simply change what I don't like, but I'll at least know how everything is supposed to go together. The real issue here is finding one I like for a price I can afford. I'm comfortable spending $5-8,000 for a lake ready boat.

    Should I buy a complete running boat that "needs work"?
    I am completely open to custom interior and paint work. Paint I know very well, interior work on the other hand is a complete mystery. I see quite a few quality boats missing their rear bench seat, which for me is essential. I'd love to build my own custom interior, but I don't even know where to start. The biggest thing I'm worried about is buying someone's disaster and having to pay someone to fix it.

    So what do you guys think? Is there anywhere I can go read or learn about things like building custom seats, or how to check the structural integrity of a boat? Where would you look for good deals on boats? I am very serious about this, and I am in no hurry to buy right now. I'll be happy if I get out on the lake by next summer.

    Thanks!
    Hey Adam, I'm just North of you on Lake Texoma. How about this boat. Seems to fit most of your criteria.
    http://www.performanceboats.com/boat...jet-turbo.html
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  13. #11
    Senior Member RogerThat99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    make sure to get one with full stringers. There are many quarter stringer jet boats out there. I think a 21 daycruiser or Daytona would be a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    "I Love Haters" - Its not a frame of mind for us...IT'S A LIFE STYLE!!!


    http://www.performanceboats.com/signaturepics/sigpic17778_1.gif

  14. #12
    Screamin SeaMonkees Schi-502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vacaville, California
    Posts
    1,663
    Loose, the Dogs of War!

  15. #13
    Senior Member RogerThat99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    Schi-502, Your boat would be a great choice for him...and right in the price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    "I Love Haters" - Its not a frame of mind for us...IT'S A LIFE STYLE!!!


    http://www.performanceboats.com/signaturepics/sigpic17778_1.gif

  16. #14
    Screamin SeaMonkees Schi-502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Vacaville, California
    Posts
    1,663

    Default Yes

    Loose, the Dogs of War!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95