Jetovator or Place Diverter?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 36

Thread:
Jetovator or Place Diverter?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default Jetovator or Place Diverter?

    I have seen folks bash and defend the old jetovator. I have seen folks say how great a place diverter is.

    The only good reason I have heard so far is that the Place diverter has less moving parts and places to leak. That is NOT a concern to me.

    Im am curious as to how they differ in performance.

    The biggest difference I can see that would affect performance is the shape/layout of the joints.




    The Jetovator trims up and down at the bowl junction and then it steers at the nozzle.

    Where as....

    The place Diverter steers at the bowl junction and trims up and down at the nozzle.

    How does this affect its performance?

    Jetovator boats seem to roost form the back of the boat and place diverter boats seem to kick the roost out of the water further behind the boat.


    Whats the pros and cons of both setups?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default Place Diverter

    They
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop Shop View Post
    I have seen folks bash and defend the old jetovator. I have seen folks say how great a place diverter is.

    The only good reason I have heard so far is that the Place diverter has less moving parts and places to leak. That is NOT a concern to me.

    Im am curious as to how they differ in performance.

    The biggest difference I can see that would affect performance is the shape/layout of the joints.




    The Jetovator trims up and down at the bowl junction and then it steers at the nozzle.

    Where as....

    The place Diverter steers at the bowl junction and trims up and down at the nozzle.

    How does this affect its performance?

    Jetovator boats seem to roost form the back of the boat and place diverter boats seem to kick the roost out of the water further behind the boat.


    Whats the pros and cons of both setups?
    They both accomplish the same thing but the Place Diverter hands down just does it alot BETTER!!!!!

  4. #3
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greg shoemaker View Post
    They
    They both accomplish the same thing but the Place Diverter hands down just does it alot BETTER!!!!!
    It just does! Reminds me of......



    But why is it better? Cold hard facts please.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop Shop View Post
    It just does! Reminds me of......



    But why is it better? Cold hard facts please.
    With all due respect to those who own them are are think about buying a Jet O Vater think of it as a muzzle loader vs an modern bolt action rifle , Jet O Vater technology was that the mechanisim "trimmed" prior to steering (Place trim is the opposite) , rigging is more complicated , more pieces to make it work and droops are basically out , with C pumps the bowl has to be rotated and most importantly They (JOV) tend to leak less options in general , a word of caution if buying a used JOV make sure one gets ALL the pieces to re rig Tom

  7. #5
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    With all due respect to those who own them are are think about buying a Jet O Vater think of it as a muzzle loader vs an modern bolt action rifle , Jet O Vater technology was that the mechanisim "trimmed" prior to steering (Place trim is the opposite) , rigging is more complicated , more pieces to make it work and droops are basically out , with C pumps the bowl has to be rotated and most importantly They (JOV) tend to leak less options in general , a word of caution if buying a used JOV make sure one gets ALL the pieces to re rig Tom
    What is differnt in performance between having it trimmed before or after the steering?

    My boat is not a dragster and will most likely never get a droop installed.


    I have a Jetovator on my boat. It came with a used parts boat. It also came with a Place Diverter control handle/shifter. I got all the missing parts from Skagen. Jerry even gave me an OLD berkeley install diagram for it. It was basically free to me other than the parts from Tony and Jerry.

    It was in my budget to complete and install the Jetovator on my boat at this time.

    After looking at boats with a PD it looks like the handle/shifter has a different amount of throw froma jetovator to a PD. A place diverter combo will trim up and down.

    My jetovator with a place control shifter will only allow for enough throw to set the nozzle all the way up or flat level like a pump with no trim at all.

    I am weighing out the pros and cons to see if it is worth buying a Place diverter (400-500) to match my PD control shifter and to replace my jetovator parts so I can trim down lower than a fixed nozzle or just leave it alone?



    COST is a major factor in my decisions. My mechanic skills are better than my banking skills.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Also to add, my pump is polished so the Place diverter stuff will have to be polished too. An activity I dislike as much as spending money!

    Is it really that much of a gain over my current setup? Here is a link to the build if that helps. http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...ter-intro.html

  9. #7
    Bostick Racing Engines six-oh-nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, Ca.
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chop Shop View Post
    Also to add, my pump is polished so the Place diverter stuff will have to be polished too. An activity I dislike as much as spending money!

    Is it really that much of a gain over my current setup? Here is a link to the build if that helps. http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...ter-intro.html
    You have already the answer to your question before even asking it here... so either you are looking for someone to pat you on the back and say, "no fella, you made the right choice." or looking for someone to perform a spectacular miracle that will allow you to see the light of God beaming down upon you that brings forth a vision of why you need to spend the money.

    To be honest... just run the damn thing... you will never notice a difference... you'll save lots of money to buy several pairs of chineese headers and other assorted parts... and you'll become a national hero... oh... and your junk will grow 3 inches! (There... consider that your pat on the back)

    For fuck's sake... seriously... you have two of top guys in the industry suggesting that the Place is in fact, a better part. One even was so kind as to give you several differences to compare/contrast the two parts. The prudent corse of action would either heed their advice, which should be why you asked the question in the first place, or accept their points and determine that the points brought up really do not apply to your situation and continue on your merry way with your current setup.

    No one is compelling you to buy shit for yor boat... it is not your burden that you must buy stuff for your boat... it is all your choice... your hobby... you do with it as you choose and if it works out, killer... if not... then get creative or get out the wallet... or even yet, fuckit... live with it.
    Last edited by six-oh-nine; 07-15-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    The Bostick®

    Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by six-oh-nine View Post
    You have already the answer to your question before even asking it here... so either you are looking for someone to pat you on the back and say, "no fella, you made the right choice." or looking for someone to perform a spectacular miracle that will allow you to see the light of God beaming down upon you that brings forth a vision of why you need to spend the money.

    To be honest... just run the damn thing... you will never notice a difference... you'll save lots of money to buy several pairs of chineese headers and other assorted parts... and you'll become a national hero... oh... and your junk will grow 3 inches! (There... consider that your pat on the back)

    For fuck's sake... seriously... you have two of top guys in the industry suggesting that the Place is in fact, a better part. One even was so kind as to give you several differences to compare/contrast the two parts. The prudent corse of action would either heed their advice, which should be why you asked the question in the first place, or accept their points and determine that the points brought up really do not apply to your situation and continue on your merry way with your current setup.

    No one is compelling you to buy shit for yor boat... it is not your burden that you must buy stuff for your boat... it is all your choice... your hobby... you do with it as you choose and if it works out, killer... if not... then get creative or get out the wallet... or even yet, fuckit... live with it.
    is there a "Like" button ?
    1990 ultra 21' open bow. 509, American turbine Jet

  11. #9
    Senior Member Mojave85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limited View Post
    is there a "Like" button ?
    X2 ... now that's some funny (and real) shit! Carry on -

  12. #10
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by six-oh-nine View Post
    You have already the answer to your question before even asking it here... so either you are looking for someone to pat you on the back and say, "no fella, you made the right choice." or looking for someone to perform a spectacular miracle that will allow you to see the light of God beaming down upon you that brings forth a vision of why you need to spend the money.

    To be honest... just run the damn thing... you will never notice a difference... you'll save lots of money to buy several pairs of chineese headers and other assorted parts... and you'll become a national hero... oh... and your junk will grow 3 inches! (There... consider that your pat on the back)

    For fuck's sake... seriously... you have two of top guys in the industry suggesting that the Place is in fact, a better part. One even was so kind as to give you several differences to compare/contrast the two parts. The prudent corse of action would either heed their advice, which should be why you asked the question in the first place, or accept their points and determine that the points brought up really do not apply to your situation and continue on your merry way with your current setup.

    No one is compelling you to buy shit for yor boat... it is not your burden that you must buy stuff for your boat... it is all your choice... your hobby... you do with it as you choose and if it works out, killer... if not... then get creative or get out the wallet... or even yet, fuckit... live with it.
    Neither of the two responses I got answered the question of "why" is the PD better than a jetovator?

    I was looking for the person that had bought an older boat with a jetovator and later replaced it with a PD and noticed a big difference in performance or attitude? I also asked about the difference in the amount of throw when a PD shifter handle is used with a jetovator?

    Is that some insane request? To help me understand how and why my boat works and what will affect it differently?

    Did you have to be such a tool with your response?



    Quote Originally Posted by six-oh-nine View Post
    Did you have any info that pertains to why it performs better or differently??

  13. #11
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limited View Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave85 View Post


    Found yer button!

  14. #12
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    You will not notice a huge difference from jet to place...one is made still one is not... You choose.. one is in prodiction, one isn't...
    Last edited by 67weiman; 07-15-2012 at 10:55 PM.

  15. #13
    tintingsandiego krusn56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    If you are still filling your bowl with oil...makes it alot easier to fill with them on top. Removing both plugs and fill till comes out the other. With a jetovator turning your bowl will be tricky/time consuming to get gear oil in just the one.
    Made In The Shade

    Custom Window Tinting

  16. #14
    Bostick Racing Engines six-oh-nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, Ca.
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    You discovered emoticons... NEAT!

    I love used, cheap, free, junky, rusty parts too.
    Then mismatching parts... and without "mechanix" skills not having them function properly is what you get. Your approach and attitude would be best suited for Junkyard Wars if it was still around more than boating. Doing stupid, hacky shit trying to save a buck is irresponsible and dangerous not only to you... but anyone that is foolish to ride with you. Boats are dangerous toys when they are misused and/or poorly put together.

    Ponder this... since you scabbed this together... your steering function is directly connected to the trim device... so if a failure occurs to your hacked trim device... it will have an adverse effect on your steering ability. .

    Let me put it this way... if you are unable to afford to do it right... then do not do it.

    You have stated that your butcher shop skills was not able to make the marrage of these two componets work properly.. this should be the first sign that perhaps you should either: Get some better "mechanix" skilz yo!, or, find the parts to make one or the other a complete unit.

    If you are looking for people to try to help you justify your reasoning... then good luck... because it is quite apparent that no amount of "convincing" will get you to even consider changing your mind.

    As far as the performance gains in yor application between one or the other that is properly functioning... in your case and situation... it is doubtful you'd ever notice a performance gain or loss one way or another. but note some key words... properly functioing... very important distinction here... between "properly funtioning" and "I hacked some used up, mismatched junk together that doesn't work but was cheap and therefore better."

    So... as stated before... Will work great... save money... chineese parts... hero... bigger junk.... you rock!
    Last edited by six-oh-nine; 07-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    The Bostick®

    Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95