Porpoising After Diverter/Wedge Install
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 53

Thread:
Porpoising After Diverter/Wedge Install

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Tan Valley AZ
    Posts
    36

    Default Porpoising After Diverter/Wedge Install

    I just took out my boat after installing a Hyd PD w/ wedge on my boat and it is faster by 8 mph but squirley and porpoises pretty badly. It is a 21 Omega Open Bow with jacuzzi. What is my next step to over come as I really like the new setup other than what I mentioned. I would like to be able to go full up on the diverter without having to worry about bouncing all over the place. What can I do to counteract and get this baby to be a smooth sailer

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mygarageguys View Post
    I just took out my boat after installing a Hyd PD w/ wedge on my boat and it is faster by 8 mph but squirley and porpoises pretty badly. It is a 21 Omega Open Bow with jacuzzi. What is my next step to over come as I really like the new setup other than what I mentioned. I would like to be able to go full up on the diverter without having to worry about bouncing all over the place. What can I do to counteract and get this baby to be a smooth sailer
    Remove the wedge and take it back out for a "putt"

  4. #3
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Remove the wedge and take it back out for a "putt"
    Or.......Add about 500 more HP.

    Your basically pushing the rear (transom) of the boat down which in turn raises the nose (bow) and you don't have enough HP to keep the bow in the air...

    Remove the wedge or install a droop.

    Still gonna need more HP
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Driver 78CoLeBBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Golden Shores,AZ
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Remove the wedge and take it back out for a "putt"
    dude are you guys kidding me a wedge adjustment on the back of a bowl males it porpoise

    put some inexspensive trim tabs on it and adjust till it handles better and enjoy your boat
    Its a FORD thing chevy's arent quick enough to understand

  7. #5
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78CoLeBBF View Post
    dude are you guys kidding me a wedge adjustment on the back of a bowl males it porpoise

    put some inexspensive trim tabs on it and adjust till it handles better and enjoy your boat

    Took a step forward but facing backwards....

    This makes little to no sense.....Please explain your thoughts. I am all ears. (or eyes as it turns out on the Internet)....

    All he seems to want to do is to have a gnarly roost....

    Need more grunt.
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  8. #6
    Driver 78CoLeBBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Golden Shores,AZ
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mygarageguys View Post
    I just took out my boat after installing a Hyd PD w/ wedge on my boat and it is faster by 8 mph but squirley and porpoises pretty badly. It is a 21 Omega Open Bow with jacuzzi. What is my next step to over come as I really like the new setup other than what I mentioned. I would like to be able to go full up on the diverter without having to worry about bouncing all over the place. What can I do to counteract and get this baby to be a smooth sailer
    your telling me the wedge made such a difference in nozzle angle even though he has full adjustablity of it that it made him porpoise?
    Its a FORD thing chevy's arent quick enough to understand

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Tan Valley AZ
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Ok then I will remove the wedge and see how it plays out. As for the needing more HP I would have to say I could always use more but I do have a pretty solid build for a family boat. That is why I am trying to tackle the actual hull defects though diverter/ droop/ rideplate or whatever it takes to get it smoothed out. The roost is fun but i could live with a smaller one as long as the boat reacted the way I want it. What is a droop gonna do to help my situation if the wedge is messing me up?

  10. #8
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,810

    Default

    I would think taking the wedge out and trying it is a lot cheaper and easier than going out and buying a set of trim tabs, drilling holes in the transom and hoping that was the problem. But that's just me. I'm just a back yard garage hack.

  11. #9
    Driver 78CoLeBBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Golden Shores,AZ
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mygarageguys View Post
    Ok then I will remove the wedge and see how it plays out. As for the needing more HP I would have to say I could always use more but I do have a pretty solid build for a family boat. That is why I am trying to tackle the actual hull defects though diverter/ droop/ rideplate or whatever it takes to get it smoothed out. The roost is fun but i could live with a smaller one as long as the boat reacted the way I want it. What is a droop gonna do to help my situation if the wedge is messing me up?
    You need something like this
    http://www.performanceboats.com/part...trim-tabs.html
    Its a FORD thing chevy's arent quick enough to understand

  12. #10
    Senior Member SBS933's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socialist Republic of California / Parker Az.
    Posts
    975

    Default Easy

    Quote Originally Posted by mygarageguys View Post
    Ok then I will remove the wedge and see how it plays out. As for the needing more HP I would have to say I could always use more but I do have a pretty solid build for a family boat. That is why I am trying to tackle the actual hull defects though diverter/ droop/ rideplate or whatever it takes to get it smoothed out. The roost is fun but i could live with a smaller one as long as the boat reacted the way I want it. What is a droop gonna do to help my situation if the wedge is messing me up?
    Call Greg Shoemaker at his shop, tell him what make and model of your boat. He will tell you what to put on or take off, whether to use a droop or not. The guy has tested it all.

  13. #11
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78CoLeBBF View Post
    your telling me the wedge made such a difference in nozzle angle even though he has full adjustablity of it that it made him porpoise?
    The "full adjust ability" went out the window when the down trim angle was limited...IMHO. I suspect it had a porpoise problem before this mod.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mygarageguys View Post
    Ok then I will remove the wedge and see how it plays out. As for the needing more HP I would have to say I could always use more but I do have a pretty solid build for a family boat. That is why I am trying to tackle the actual hull defects though diverter/ droop/ rideplate or whatever it takes to get it smoothed out. The roost is fun but i could live with a smaller one as long as the boat reacted the way I want it. What is a droop gonna do to help my situation if the wedge is messing me up?
    "Hull defects"? What was it doing before you added the PD and the wedge? What possessed you to add the wedge AND the PD?

    I you have a hull that is prone to a porpoise situation, the last thing you want to do is add wedge. I always recommend doing one modification at a time, otherwise you can pass up the perfect setup without realizing it. The wedge is preventing you the ability to "trim down".

    A droop has a lifting effect that when set up correctly can add a lot of stability to the ride at speed, they are really a hit or miss type deal. If you have have HP it may do wonders...Then again, it may kill performance (but doubt it very much)....

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I would think taking the wedge out and trying it is a lot cheaper and easier than going out and buying a set of trim tabs, drilling holes in the transom and hoping that was the problem. But that's just me. I'm just a back yard garage hack.

    Aren't we all?
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Tan Valley AZ
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Before the the place diverter/wedge install it would pretty much just plow through the water with very very little porpoising but it did exist. When I would hit the rough or a wake I would have to pin it to win it to keep the bow from deflecting off and beating me to hell. Im trying to get this tank of a boat out of the water ( it rides pretty wet) and that is why I added thePD. The wedge just came with it from the guy I got it from so I said what the hell and installed it for shits and giggles. By the way, when it trim it down it does the job but I loose like literally 8-10MPH and I can feel the boat plowing, But at least it does trim down fine. When I am in havasu this weekend I will have the wedge off and see what it does. As for the droop I was thinking about getting the PD one with the ride plate to see if I can finger things out a bit but I'll definitley lose the wedge first.

  15. #13
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mygarageguys View Post
    Before the the place diverter/wedge install it would pretty much just plow through the water with very very little porpoising but it did exist. When I would hit the rough or a wake I would have to pin it to win it to keep the bow from deflecting off and beating me to hell. Im trying to get this tank of a boat out of the water ( it rides pretty wet) and that is why I added thePD. The wedge just came with it from the guy I got it from so I said what the hell and installed it for shits and giggles. By the way, when it trim it down it does the job but I loose like literally 8-10MPH and I can feel the boat plowing, But at least it does trim down fine. When I am in havasu this weekend I will have the wedge off and see what it does. As for the droop I was thinking about getting the PD one with the ride plate to see if I can finger things out a bit but I'll definitley lose the wedge first.
    Its important to keep the Hull design and type in perspective , not saying one cant make a Hot rod out of a family cruiser , but theres a lot of hull and fwd weight to keep aired out , run it with just the trim and see how it reacts

  16. #14
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mygarageguys View Post
    Before the the place diverter/wedge install it would pretty much just plow through the water with very very little porpoising but it did exist. When I would hit the rough or a wake I would have to pin it to win it to keep the bow from deflecting off and beating me to hell. Im trying to get this tank of a boat out of the water ( it rides pretty wet) and that is why I added thePD. The wedge just came with it from the guy I got it from so I said what the hell and installed it for shits and giggles. By the way, when it trim it down it does the job but I loose like literally 8-10MPH and I can feel the boat plowing, But at least it does trim down fine. When I am in havasu this weekend I will have the wedge off and see what it does. As for the droop I was thinking about getting the PD one with the ride plate to see if I can finger things out a bit but I'll definitley lose the wedge first.
    Just stabbing in the dark here, but I would be willing to bet he PD will do the job all on its own...There are very few boats that can run the Diverter all the way up without some ill effects...

    Any idea where the boats COG is? How hooky is the bottom? It is beginning to sound like you have a soft bottom....Well the boat has a soft bottom...

    If the bottom of the hull is soft it can do what you describe, basically a parasitic hook and a ride killing rocker. The harder you push, the worse it gets. I have only seen this a few times. Once it was a late '80's Charger with a small block. Used some PVC pipe and some woven roving and about 4 gallons of resin to get it stronger and trued up...Kinda redneck, but saved the hull from the junkyard...
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95