Do baffles affect power?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
Do baffles affect power?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default Do baffles affect power?

    I was reading in the "water in baffles" thread and heard a few talk about power loss and rpm change with the addition of baffles.

    Is this something all engines will be affected by or just ones built up fairly heavily?

    My TX19 has a pretty stock 454. Just a mild cam and a hirise dual plane with a 850 holly and a locked out dist. Thats all I know about it so far.

    I have Bassett twisty headers with bassett baffles. The baffles that look like a glasspack inside, not the twisted noodle style.

    I have heard that the twisties run a little quieter than other header designs? My friend has twisties with No baffles and its not very loud at all. Is there some truth in the "quieter" theory?


    Can I expect to gain any RPMs or power? Or am I just gonna have to pull them and see?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Chop,

    Years ago I had a 13.75-1 Olds with a pretty hefty cam, tunnel ram with 2 660's, and Bassetts. It would turn 5900 open and 5700 with Bassett mufflers. I was running an A-B impellar. After I lowered the compression and went with a milder cam I don't believe I ever removed the mufflers, So I am not sure on a milder build if it would be that much of a difference.
    Also the original high comp motor was as loud with mufflers as most seemigly stock motors were without. With mufflers I was asked to leave my local lake.

    I hope this helps

    Bob

  4. #3
    Senior Member TNYoungblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    5,109

    Default

    I'll loose about 400 RPMS when I run mine
    WFLC The REAL #321 Kentucky Drag Boat Association 2016 NJBA 10.0 High Points Champ

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Nothing is free. There is always a trade-off. Noise and HP are linear. If you quiet it down, you will lose some HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  7. #5
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Also depends on the set up and the "tune" have had engines that didn't seem to mind a bit of silencer at all

  8. #6
    southwindsforsure justsquirtin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rio linda calif
    Posts
    645

    Default

    my 500hp 460 will loose 400-500 rpm with baffles

  9. #7
    Senior Member cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justsquirtin View Post
    my 500hp 460 will loose 400-500 rpm with baffles
    Years ago I tested every baffle on the market. You absolutely loose power with baffles. The Bassett one you have are the worst in terms of robbing power. Like the others said, it's routine to lose 400-500 rpm.

  10. #8
    Senior Member wpmxwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, California, United States
    Posts
    157

    Default

    I run the dynatech cones with no noticeable rpm loss. But I also don't notice a noise drop.

    I have ran the spiral bassetts and noticed a big difference in both noise and power

    Pretty much what beer:30 said

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    If it makes it quiter, it will cost you power. Its that simple. Specially when you don't have the room to build and design a proper muffler. When we had to run mufflers at the Long Beach Marine Stadium, everybody ran big huge Flowmaster box mufflers. Quite and a minimal power loss. But they were HUGE with a 4" in and out along with big 4" turn ups.

    Anything that you stuff up a collector is going to rob power. Period. Like Cyclone said, some worse than others.
    The more more the motor makes, the bigger the loss. Its simply air in, air out. More power=more air. You try to shove 1500HP of air out a bassett glass pack type, and you kill more power than the average 454 even makes.
    Less loss as you go down the scale, but you have to be way down there to say it had no effect. Way down there.

    The best header deal I have ever ran, with the least power loss on a 850 HP deal was these. Hands down, bar none. No they aren't pretty, the just work. Cheaper than a Borla, almost as quite, and you could run water thru them it you had to.





    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  12. #10
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    If it makes it quiter, it will cost you power. Its that simple. Specially when you don't have the room to build and design a proper muffler. When we had to run mufflers at the Long Beach Marine Stadium, everybody ran big huge Flowmaster box mufflers. Quite and a minimal power loss. But they were HUGE with a 4" in and out along with big 4" turn ups.

    Anything that you stuff up a collector is going to rob power. Period. Like Cyclone said, some worse than others.
    The more more the motor makes, the bigger the loss. Its simply air in, air out. More power=more air. You try to shove 1500HP of air out a bassett glass pack type, and you kill more power than the average 454 even makes.
    Less loss as you go down the scale, but you have to be way down there to say it had no effect. Way down there.

    The best header deal I have ever ran, with the least power loss on a 850 HP deal was these. Hands down, bar none. No they aren't pretty, the just work. Cheaper than a Borla, almost as quite, and you could run water thru them it you had to.

    I never thought you were a QUITER? I don't know how a muffler can be QUITE, though. Unless it flows QUITE well?
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    I never thought you were a QUITER? I don't know how a muffler can be QUITE, though. Unless it flows QUITE well?
    Picking on my dyslexia again asshole?
    Name:  hi[1].JPG
Views: 516
Size:  12.4 KB



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Picking on my dyslexia again asshole?
    Name:  hi[1].JPG
Views: 516
Size:  12.4 KB
    Just seeing if your sensitive side was still out on your sleeve. Guess it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    Well its time to try it "loud" style.

  16. #14
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    I haven't run w/o my Bassett "performance" baffles out in a looooong time > wonder if I could do it for a day > and NOT get a ticket
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95