flat side gullwing???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 44

Thread:
flat side gullwing???

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default flat side gullwing???

    um, have i heard this phrase? " flat side gullwing" .mine(firehawk) seems to be angled in more at the bottom.narrower running surface.than say a mantra or others?are a few inches wider over all. so ,is there a running difference ? is one faster or safer or ???.....
    Last edited by mikewtx19; 12-30-2012 at 11:56 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anza Valley, Lost Lake, CA
    Posts
    861

    Default

    Is it flat or wavy? Straight or angled?

  4. #3
    Senior Member Sharkbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    153

    Default

    I think it's called a narrow cockpit TX19.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member TrollerDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chino,CA
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewtx19 View Post
    um, have i heard this phrase? " flat side gullwing" .mine(firehawk) seems to be angled in more at the bottom.narrower running surface.than say a mantra or others?are a few inches wider over all. so ,is there a running difference ? is one faster or safer or ???.....
    I think you're talking about the vertical sides of the hull.
    If so, the 18' has more vertical than the 19'.

    If you're looking at the boat from the bow,

    18' = l v l

    19' = \ v /

    If you understand my babbling , is this what you meant?

  7. #5
    AKA OhOneWS6 Last Mohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    I know the Earl Smith gull wing has straight vertical sides. There are several variations of the gull wing out there.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Need4Speed77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Q.C./Big River
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Mohican View Post
    I know the Earl Smith gull wing has straight vertical sides. There are several variations of the gull wing out there.
    There ARE several variations out there but really only two designs. One with straight sides and transom= 18' gullwing, one with angles sides and transom=19' gullwing. Whether it is a mantra, earl smith, CP, youngblood, scorpion etc, an 18' bottom and a 19' bottom are the same design no matter who had them layed up. The decks are really the only thing that change. Not the sides and transom.

  9. #7
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed77 View Post
    There ARE several variations out there but really only two designs. One with straight sides and transom= 18' gullwing, one with angles sides and transom=19' gullwing. Whether it is a mantra, earl smith, CP, youngblood, scorpion etc, an 18' bottom and a 19' bottom are the same design no matter who had them layed up. The decks are really the only thing that change. Not the sides and transom.
    huh???

    the cp 18' has flat sides. the whole boat is smaller, not just the deck. the flared sides on 19s provide much more cockpit space than an 18.
    the bottom's of every gullwing ever laid up are not identical. i've been told by someone who knows that there are subtle differences.

    here's a cp 18 with flat sides.



    here's one of tigerfang's 18s (not cp) with flat sides. while these things look similar, they are NOT identical, top or bottom. they are not set up the same way, and one wouldn't necessarily work well at all with the other's setup. but both do work, and work well.

    Last edited by bp298; 12-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.

  10. #8
    I do all my own stunts. white tortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tempe/Big River
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    the "flat sided" gullwing is gonna be probably a CP whereas an Earl Smith or Youngblood are considered "wavy sided" gullwings. haha

  11. #9
    Senior Member Need4Speed77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Q.C./Big River
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    huh???

    the cp 18' has flat sides. the whole boat is smaller, not just the deck. the flared sides on 19s provide much more cockpit space than an 18.
    the bottom's of every gullwing ever laid up are not identical. i've been told by someone who knows that there are subtle differences.

    here's a cp 18 with flat sides.



    here's one of tigerfang's 18s (not cp) with flat sides. while these things look similar, they are NOT identical, top or bottom. they are not set up the same way, and one wouldn't necessarily work well at all with the other's setup. but both do work, and work well.

    Yes!!! 18' gullwings have straight up and down (basically 90* sides) and the 19' gullwings have angled sides. And I never said that they were all identical. I said the 18's from X,Y,Z builder are the same design and the 19's from X,Y,Z builder are the same design. 18's have straight (90*) sides and 19's have angled sides. Where did you read that I wrote they were all identical? Of course the small details like keel, intake placement and hardware will all be different but the design of each boat, 18 to 18 or 19 to 19, is the same. The pictures you posted prove my point. Both of those boats are an 18' and they have the same 90* design on the sides built by to different people.
    Last edited by Need4Speed77; 12-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.

  12. #10
    Senior Member vmaxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    EAST LA (Lower Arkansas)
    Posts
    721

    Default smith or Youngblood

    If its a 18' gull wing with flat sides it is a copy of an Earl Smith if you look from the front it will have a Texas longhorn T on the deck. Repeat 18's are Earl Smith splashes. If it's a 19' gull wing with a flat deck it is a Jim Youngblood or copy. I believe Jimmy Johnson was the one that splashed the YB and gave it the bubble deck. If that Green boat in the picture is Carr's boat it is a Scott Seastrum version of an Earl Smith. The CP 18' tunnel is a copy of the Earl Smith 16' tunnel that had a 18' V nose top put on it I think by Mantra, Sunkisst or Greg High I forget. The Earl Smith 18's except the first couple had no wood in the transom some may have a drop or bubble keel but they are ALL Youngblood or Earl Smith copies
    "DON'T JUST TELL ME IT WON'T WORK TELL ME WHAT WILL"

  13. #11
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed77 View Post
    Yes!!! 18' gullwings have straight up and down (basically 90* sides) and the 19' gullwings have angled sides. And I never said that they were all identical. I said the 18's from X,Y,Z builder are the same design and the 19's from X,Y,Z builder are the same design. 18's have straight (90*) sides and 19's have angled sides. Where did you read that I wrote they were all identical? Of course the small details like keel, intake placement and hardware will all be different but the design of each boat, 18 to 18 or 19 to 19, is the same. The pictures you posted prove my point. Both of those boats are an 18' and they have the same 90* design on the sides built by to different people.
    well, when i read this... "Whether it is a mantra, earl smith, CP, youngblood, scorpion etc, an 18' bottom and a 19' bottom are the same design no matter who had them layed up" it seemed to me you were saying they were all the same... "identical". i'm talking about differences in bare hulls. saying they're all the same is kind of like saying all 18' shallow v's are the same. they are not all the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxed View Post
    If its a 18' gull wing with flat sides it is a copy of an Earl Smith if you look from the front it will have a Texas longhorn T on the deck. Repeat 18's are Earl Smith splashes. If it's a 19' gull wing with a flat deck it is a Jim Youngblood or copy. I believe Jimmy Johnson was the one that splashed the YB and gave it the bubble deck. If that Green boat in the picture is Carr's boat it is a Scott Seastrum version of an Earl Smith. The CP 18' tunnel is a copy of the Earl Smith 16' tunnel that had a 18' V nose top put on it I think by Mantra, Sunkisst or Greg High I forget. The Earl Smith 18's except the first couple had no wood in the transom some may have a drop or bubble keel but they are ALL Youngblood or Earl Smith copies
    yes it is my friend greg's boat. and i already said it's one of tigerfangs. the cp 18 tunnel is NOT copy of something else. that mold was created with nothing splashed, other than the cap he already had.
    personally, i could give a crap who theoretically copied what. irrelevant.

    edit.. meant to say 18' tunnel
    Last edited by bp298; 01-01-2013 at 11:22 AM.

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    995

    Default

    All 18ft gullwings had wavey sides untill about 91 when Scotten made a new mold and took the waveness out.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Need4Speed77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Q.C./Big River
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    well, when i read this... "Whether it is a mantra, earl smith, CP, youngblood, scorpion etc, an 18' bottom and a 19' bottom are the same design no matter who had them layed up" it seemed to me you were saying they were all the same... "identical". i'm talking about differences in bare hulls. saying they're all the same is kind of like saying all 18' shallow v's are the same. they are not all the same.



    yes it is my friend greg's boat. and i already said it's one of tigerfangs. the cp 18 is NOT copy of something else. that mold was created with nothing splashed, other than the cap he already had.
    personally, i could give a crap who theoretically copied what. irrelevant.
    Ok
    Last edited by Need4Speed77; 12-31-2012 at 03:03 PM.

  16. #14
    The Good mrjoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque NM
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Last edited by mrjoshua; 12-31-2012 at 04:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95