nicson set up?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 15

Thread:
nicson set up?

  1. #1
    Junior Member tahitijetn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default nicson set up?

    hey guys new to forum (thank you for having me) and new owner, so this tahiti i just picked up has an out dated (from what i can find) cooling set up. jet to nicson logs, through logs then to engine, through engine and both dumps run to the snails and just dumps in the snails. I am not sure i like the fact that all of that water is constantly in the exhaust, i feel better if there was no water in the exhaust until 1,500-2,000 rpm? does any one have any pics/diagrams of the inside of snails? what is the inside design of a snail? what is every ones thought/experience with this set up? Thank you.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Nothing to worry about..

    Quote Originally Posted by tahitijetn View Post
    hey guys new to forum (thank you for having me) and new owner, so this tahiti i just picked up has an out dated (from what i can find) cooling set up. jet to nicson logs, through logs then to engine, through engine and both dumps run to the snails and just dumps in the snails. I am not sure i like the fact that all of that water is constantly in the exhaust, i feel better if there was no water in the exhaust until 1,500-2,000 rpm? does any one have any pics/diagrams of the inside of snails? what is the inside design of a snail? what is every ones thought/experience with this set up? Thank you.
    That's the way they were designed to work. Nothing to worry about... The idea of running the water through the logs first was/is to preheat the water. The water that goes into the snails is beyond where it can back up into the engine....
    Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  4. #3
    Junior Member tahitijetn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    O ok I knew the logs were for pre heat but I did not know if the snail design allowed water to make its way back into the logs and ports or not. Thank you does any one have a performance opinion on this set up? Does it rob much power?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member hellnback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Dallas TX
    Posts
    746

    Default

    I didn't find any noticeable difference when I switched to OT but then I run Oldsmobile as well ;-) Do know logs don't bring the popo... .
    It may be OLD ,it may be Slow ... but at least it's MOBILE !!!

  7. #5
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tahitijetn View Post
    O ok I knew the logs were for pre heat but I did not know if the snail design allowed water to make its way back into the logs and ports or not. Thank you does any one have a performance opinion on this set up? Does it rob much power?
    Like Ray said they are working as designed with constant water flow (if plumbed correctly) if you were able to "regulate back" the water flow somehow to come on at higher rpm you would jeprodize (burn) the exaust Hoses that connect the tips to the snails , regarding performance logs vs Headers , with the addition of headers and others changes plus tuning you would likley pickup some some appreciable increase on power Tom

  8. #6
    Senior Member ICECREAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    My suggestion would be, if you're not building a fairly serious performance engine, leave the logs on the boat. They're much more user friendly than headers, no need to worry about header burns, noise, and water reversion issues. There's many other aspects of your boat that are probably robbing more power from your boat than the exhaust, ie: Hull and pump issues. Have fun.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Logs vs headers...

    Quote Originally Posted by ICECREAMAN View Post
    My suggestion would be, if you're not building a fairly serious performance engine, leave the logs on the boat. They're much more user friendly than headers, no need to worry about header burns, noise, and water reversion issues. There's many other aspects of your boat that are probably robbing more power/performance from your boat than the exhaust, ie: Hull and pump issues. Have fun.
    ICM, I agree, there are many many ways to increase BOAT performance without actually adding power modifications to existing, AND WORKING engines.... Trim tabs have found more speed for jetboats than headers.... I often wonder how many jets, including mine, have unknown "hooks" in the hulls? How many pumps are just barely hanging on when it comes to efficiency?....How many simple carb adjustments/fine tuning could add to the economy of a weekend?.... All that said, if I had it to do over, I would leave the logs on my Tahiti BBC..... The hassle of dodging the LE, the flow issues, the constant warnings to passengers about the BURNS, the boat covers that don't fit w/headers, etc etc... Headers just aren't worth the hassle..... Leave it alone and use it for what it was designed for...... FUN.......
    Ray
    PS the Bassetts are coming OFF my boat this spring, going BACK to logs!!!!
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  10. #8
    Senior Member johnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Tahitijetn. There is a thread "Headers vs logs" Check it out With my engine only 400hp it was a no brainer!!!! My grankids and dogs love to lean on the logs!!!! johnf

  11. #9
    Senior Member md-11mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Thousand Oaks Ca
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    Tahitijetn. There is a thread "Headers vs logs" Check it out With my engine only 400hp it was a no brainer!!!! My grankids and dogs love to lean on the logs!!!! johnf
    Like this post!
    What sort of engine does the boat have? If it is a stocker or low power you are wasting your money. What sort of rpm does this engine realistically turn? Like Johnf said too its nice to have water cooled exhaust. The headers look nice and make a lot of sound but try touching them some time right after you shut the thing down even. Amazing how fast you can get a 1st and 2nd degree burn. If you are going to throw money at it make it reliable first. Boating is alot more fun when the boat is running vs sitting on the trailer cause it dont.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Chop Shop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound Wa
    Posts
    673

    Default

    My headers look fast even with my boat off.

  13. #11
    Junior Member tahitijetn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    It has a 396 bbc a little bore and a little cam nothing close to crazy.

  14. #12
    Senior Member md-11mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Thousand Oaks Ca
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tahitijetn View Post
    It has a 396 bbc a little bore and a little cam nothing close to crazy.
    Yea I for sure wouldn't change what you got then. It was set up to be a 50 or 60 mph boat. Headers aren't going to do a thing other than make more noise. Then you have to put those crappy looking stainless discs over the holes in the transom.

  15. #13
    Senior Member rogerroost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maple Ridge B.C. Canada
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICECREAMAN View Post
    My suggestion would be, if you're not building a fairly serious performance engine, leave the logs on the boat. They're much more user friendly than headers, no need to worry about header burns, noise, and water reversion issues. There's many other aspects of your boat that are probably robbing more power from your boat than the exhaust, ie: Hull and pump issues. Have fun.
    I totally agree ,,,,however I love my o/t headers! love the look, the sound, the performance, & it's a great reason for not bringing passengers

  16. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    how is the water hooked up on the nicson logs? From gate valve to bottom nipple or top noiiple?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95