[Question] Jet Pump Advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 20

Thread:
Jet Pump Advice

  1. #1
    A Real Love For Speed Bass Lake Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ahwahnee California
    Posts
    124

    Default Jet Pump Advice

    I am building a 540ci 14.2:1 compression BBC with Brodix CNC BB-1 head 119cc chamber. Solid roller Comp cam w/ Adv. 285 / 295 Duration .656 & .640 lift due to 1.75:1 roller rockers. 950HP Holley Brodix Single plane intake. I am trying to spin this at 6,500 - 6,800 RPM. This is running a Berkley 12JB-A Jet. I need some advice on the pump. I am thinking of upgrading to a 12JG-A. This will be a lake blaster boat but the occasional prompt-to run with the local guy on the lake with a bigger mouth than a boat motor that I would sure like swamp his boat with my roost. All advice is welcome.
    Thanks, Boz

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    Senior Member jyeager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Covina, California, United States
    Posts
    794

    Default

    I would talk with Chris at b1 racing. He will point you in the right direction.
    b1racing.net
    Last edited by jyeager; 01-24-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Check out my work here --------> http://www.fairplex.com/fp/ctec/index.asp
    Decals? go here------------------> https://www.facebook.com/StickersByJosh
    Like McIntyre Snob here -------->https://www.facebook.com/McIntyreSnob

    Southwind 18 460 ford
    Southwind tunnel dragster 468 Chevy


  4. #3
    A Real Love For Speed Bass Lake Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ahwahnee California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jyeager View Post
    I would talk with Chris at b1 racing. He will point you in the right direction.
    b1racing.net
    Thanks jyeager

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    Senior Member tigertooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    877

    Default

    N
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Lake Boz View Post
    I am building a 540ci 14.2:1 compression BBC with Brodix CNC BB-1 head 119cc chamber. Solid roller Comp cam w/ Adv. 285 / 295 Duration .656 & .640 lift due to 1.75:1 roller rockers. 950HP Holley Brodix Single plane intake. I am trying to spin this at 6,500 - 6,800 RPM. This is running a Berkley 12JB-A Jet. I need some advice on the pump. I am thinking of upgrading to a 12JG-A. This will be a lake blaster boat but the occasional prompt-to run with the local guy on the lake with a bigger mouth than a boat motor that I would sure like swamp his boat with my roost. All advice is welcome.
    Thanks, Boz
    Pretty sure the addition of a placedivertor will supply you with plenty of roost to accomplish your goal of swamping his boat with your roost.

  7. #5
    A Real Love For Speed Bass Lake Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ahwahnee California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigertooth View Post
    N

    Pretty sure the addition of a placedivertor will supply you with plenty of roost to accomplish your goal of swamping his boat with your roost.
    Actually I do have a Place Diverter, I just want to insure there will be no doubt.
    When it comes to that I can be vindictive. But who wants to lose?? NOT ME.

    Boz

  8. #6
    A Real Love For Speed Bass Lake Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ahwahnee California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigertooth View Post
    N

    Pretty sure the addition of a placedivertor will supply you with plenty of roost to accomplish your goal of swamping his boat with your roost.
    The Hull is currently at Bullet Fiberglass getting re-Gel coated by Brien Dunn.


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Boat 003 - Copy.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	206242
    Last edited by Bass Lake Boz; 01-28-2013 at 07:55 AM.

  9. #7
    Senior Member River Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    Don't know anything about the setup or if you have already started, but based on the mill you are building you may want to reconsider the investment in the gel coat. Just my opinion and others may differ, but for the amount of money you are going to invest in re-gelling your boat added to what you could sell it for "as is" you would probably be able to find a hull better suited to handle the power and perform to your expectations.

    I don't know anything about that brand and model of boat, but to me it looks heavy. Very heavy..... Why put a 20k motor in a 2500 boat? Just a thought..... There are some pretty decent deals out there right now on complete "less power" boats that might be a much better option.

    Sounds like a pretty bad ass mill that will make some serious power!!


    Oh, and you can't go wrong giving Chris a call at B1, he will steer you in the right direction..
    Last edited by River Dad; 01-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.

  10. #8
    A Real Love For Speed Bass Lake Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ahwahnee California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River Dad View Post
    Don't know anything about the setup or if you have already started, but based on the mill you are building you may want to reconsider the investment in the gel coat. Just my opinion and others may differ, but for the amount of money you are going to invest in re-gelling your boat added to what you could sell it for "as is" you would probably be able to find a hull better suited to handle the power and perform to your expectations.

    I don't know anything about that brand and model of boat, but to me it looks heavy. Very heavy..... Why put a 20k motor in a 2500 boat? Just a thought..... There are some pretty decent deals out there right now on complete "less power" boats that might be a much better option.

    Sounds like a pretty bad ass mill that will make some serious power!!


    Oh, and you can't go wrong giving Chris a call at B1, he will steer you in the right direction..
    River Dad,
    Well at 1850 lbs it surely isn't the lightest boat on the lake. But it is surely strong enough to handle the rough water at my local lake.

    Many times the fatties will sit on the side lines due to the rough water while I am still able to enjoy my boat. The 500 hp BBC that I am replacing will spin my Berkeley A impeller @ 5400 and the hull handles the rough water nice.
    I Am Not Calling Anybody out on this. My boat is what it is.
    And as far as putting too much money in to a boat that is not worthy of a naturally aspirated 540ci then I am sure Im not the only one who is guilty of this.
    Buy the way. Lets go boating. At least we can agree on one thing..

    Boz


  11. #9
    Senior Member River Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    I'm not trying to call anybody out either, just an oppinion, and would NEVER claim to be right all the time.. I put tons of money into a boat I had as well and learned a good lesson, so no, you would not be the only one...

    Sometimes it's worth it for sentimental value or whatever. What kind of hull is it?? Update the thread with progress pics if you can, with the mill you are planning, that should put a grin on your face when you mash it..


    And I agree, Winter sucks...... At least you have plenty of time.... Ask for advice around here and you'll get all kinds!!!lol

    RD
    Last edited by River Dad; 01-28-2013 at 04:20 PM.

  12. #10
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    kind of looks like a sleekcraft tunnel?? doubtful you'll be able to turn an a 6800 unless you're starving the pump.

  13. #11
    A Real Love For Speed Bass Lake Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ahwahnee California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River Dad View Post
    I'm not trying to call anybody out either, just an oppinion, and would NEVER claim to be right all the time.. I put tons of money into a boat I had as well and learned a good lesson, so no, you would not be the only one...

    Sometimes it's worth it for sentimental value or whatever. What kind of hull is it?? Update the thread with progress pics if you can, with the mill you are planning, that should put a grin on your face when you mash it..


    And I agree, Winter sucks...... At least you have plenty of time.... Ask for advice around here and you'll get all kinds!!!lol

    RD

    This is a 1976 20 2 Aristocrat Tunnel Its been at Bullet Fiberglass for 18 months now.
    So far I have the 540ci Mill on the engine stand.
    Chris @ B1 is making me an estimate for the pump.
    Its been a long while since I have had the boat out on the water so all this attention that
    I have been giving it sure is torturing my soul
    Boz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Boat Motor 031.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	206418 Click image for larger version.

Name:	Motor 006.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	206458 Click image for larger version.

Name:	Motor 005.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	206466
    Last edited by Bass Lake Boz; 01-28-2013 at 09:53 PM.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Alter Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Sounds like you are gonna have plenty of motor, wondering why u chose the cam u did, seems u coulda gone a little larger. Your boat looks similar to a sleek craft tunnel, if you were turning that A 5400, then u should be pretty close with your rpm goal. Like r
    River Dad said, most of the time the motor is the most expensive investment of the project, so drive the boat a little before dumping a lot in a resto that you never be able to recoup, keep the pics comin whatever u choose to do!
    2011 Rouse Performance 19'

    WFL Crew

  15. #13
    Senior Member Sleek Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hooper Utah
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    its a sleekcraft aristocrat. I say build what you want and enjoy it as you never get your money back outta any of em that you build. that hull is a little heavy but the classic lines on that model stands out and look classy to say the least. you won't hurt that hull.

  16. #14
    A Real Love For Speed Bass Lake Boz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ahwahnee California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    Sounds like you are gonna have plenty of motor, wondering why u chose the cam u did, seems u coulda gone a little larger. Your boat looks similar to a sleek craft tunnel, if you were turning that A 5400, then u should be pretty close with your rpm goal. Like r
    River Dad said, most of the time the motor is the most expensive investment of the project, so drive the boat a little before dumping a lot in a resto that you never be able to recoup, keep the pics comin whatever u choose to do!
    Originally I stuck this cam in a 454 block with 12.25:1 pistons and the BRODIX sts BB-1 heads.
    Then I upped the ante with the 540ci w/ 14.2:1 and just stuck all the new goodies on it. The rockers are 1.75: 1 so this will play in to my favor somewhat. But yes the cam is a bit small & so are the heads.

    Boz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Boat Motor 022.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	206474 Click image for larger version.

Name:	isk-204-96-1_w.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	206482 Click image for larger version.

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	206490

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95