I wanted to thank all of you for the help with my boat thus far. Special shout out to hondo, last mohican, and obnoxious. Found a few surprises with my boat today.
So I got the motor out and broken down.
I found a few scratches in a few of the pistons. I looked at the valve initially thinking it was the valve smacking it but they are all in random places in the dish of the piston. The valves didn’t show any sign of metal on metal. Opinions on if they are safe to use for a while? My budget just doesn’t allow for pistons. Damn BBO parts being made of unobtainium.
The block had mod’d drainbacks but the heads didn’t.
The cam is a crane cams 268H
The exhaust crossover on the intake manifold has been blocked off.
And the whole initial reason for the breakdown. #5-6 rod bearings where spun, well, more like missing. They had disintegrated.
On the boat side. I have decided on a name I think. “Sporting wood” I initially saw a patch of what I thought was fiberglass when I was stripping the paint. As I began to sand I realized it looked like wood grain. After a google search and finding a few boats with this wood pattern I had to strip a larger area and sure enough its wood grain.
More updates to come.