nozzle teflon gaskets
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 18

Thread:
nozzle teflon gaskets

  1. #1
    Senior Member 78Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    266

    Default nozzle teflon gaskets

    What would cause the gaskets to blow out from the grooves. I just replaced them and two lake trips and already they blown out!
    See attached pic.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 034.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	12422  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newton Ks.
    Posts
    6,834

    Default

    Don't know whose diverter you have, but I managed to stop it in my Berk F pump by stopping installing the seals.
    Dad never got them to stay in, I never did, no noticable losses to my lake cruiser, so i quit concerning myself with it.

    "excessive clearance" is the culprit, don't know how you're going to "fix" that.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

    OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

  4. #3
    Senior Member 78Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLowriderSS View Post
    Don't know whose diverter you have, but I managed to stop it in my Berk F pump by stopping installing the seals.
    Dad never got them to stay in, I never did, no noticable losses to my lake cruiser, so i quit concerning myself with it.

    "excessive clearance" is the culprit, don't know how you're going to "fix" that.
    Are you saying i should replace the nozzle assy' then? Its jetavator that wont give a rooster tail. Thats another issue tho. Thanks for the reply.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    with your ol lady
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Dont turn the steering wheel all the way left and right. The nozzel is going past the point where its supposed to stop. If you run alot in sand, the sand will wear out the teflon and the alum. You could try to build up the low spots with epoxy.
    No more Mr. Nice Guy !

  7. #5
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Daaaaaa View Post
    ... You could try to build up the low spots with epoxy.
    Yep, I've done that on a few diverter/sockets and it works well.(for a time)
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  8. #6
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    On my old jetovator this was a problem. I drilled and tapped into a meaty part of the nozzle/jetovator and used some 1/4" stainless bolts as a mechanical stop to keep it from turning so far left and right. It only stopped it a few milimeters shy of where it used to go, so I couldn't tell any difference in the steering and it kept it from blowing out the rings. Never had to replace another after that.

    I used to have some pictures showing the modification, but I lost them due to a computer hard drive failure.

    It was super simple to do and fixed the problem though.
    Last edited by Squirtcha?; 06-30-2008 at 09:39 AM.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    546

    Default

    i agree with both above answers, limit the steering travel, smooth out the bore, and we have had success with gluing,i.e. groilla snot, the oring to the groove .

  10. #8
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Gotta hunch that you have an early Dominator nozzel adaptor coupled with a Berk JetOvator. The Dom nozzel adaptor is ever so slightly larger (ID) than standard Berk nozzle bodt and seal ring and probably fits a smidge loose . Its very simple to make steering stops like Squirtcha said by drilling and tapping the hsg and using small stainless allen heads to limit the travel R and L also I'll post up a "steering stop" pic when I find one Tom

  11. #9
    Senior Member 78Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Gotta hunch that you have an early Dominator nozzel adaptor coupled with a Berk JetOvator. The Dom nozzel adaptor is ever so slightly larger (ID) than standard Berk nozzle bodt and seal ring and probably fits a smidge loose . Its very simple to make steering stops like Squirtcha said by drilling and tapping the hsg and using small stainless allen heads to limit the travel R and L also I'll post up a "steering stop" pic when I find one Tom
    Thanks for the advise. I will see about drilling some stops for the steering. If you could post the pics of the steering stop, that would be great. thanks , Nino

  12. #10
    Senior Member 78Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtcha? View Post
    On my old jetovator this was a problem. I drilled and tapped into a meaty part of the nozzle/jetovator and used some 1/4" stainless bolts as a mechanical stop to keep it from turning so far left and right. It only stopped it a few milimeters shy of where it used to go, so I couldn't tell any difference in the steering and it kept it from blowing out the rings. Never had to replace another after that.

    I used to have some pictures showing the modification, but I lost them due to a computer hard drive failure.

    It was super simple to do and fixed the problem though.
    Thanks I'll give that a try.

  13. #11
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    a little off topic but, my diverter had a nozzle ring that was nylon with a soft inner
    part. who makes this? is it supposed to be better?

  14. #12
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    a little off topic but, my diverter had a nozzle ring that was nylon with a soft inner
    part. who makes this? is it supposed to be better?
    some people will put a rubber band in the groove before installing the oring just to make the oring pack/seal against the socket better i've done it before and it works great,

    if its blowing out the seal, you need a new bowl to nozzle adapter, or you can just buy a short droop

  15. #13
    Senior Member 78Eliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    some people will put a rubber band in the groove before installing the oring just to make the oring pack/seal against the socket better i've done it before and it works great,

    if its blowing out the seal, you need a new bowl to nozzle adapter, or you can just buy a short droop
    I heard about the rubber band trick as well. I'll give that a try but most likely will get a new adapter if it dont work out. thanks for the inputs guys.

  16. #14
    It's what we do BDMarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    El Monte
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    a little off topic but, my diverter had a nozzle ring that was nylon with a soft inner
    part. who makes this? is it supposed to be better?
    I believe you are referring to the inner Place Diverter o-ring. You can get it from them or we have them.
    http://www.performanceboats.com//signaturepics/sigpic837_1.gif
    B & D Marine Performance
    El Monte, Ca.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95