[Question] 97 scarab 19 jet ...5.7 sbc hardly moves, HELP!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 47

Thread:
97 scarab 19 jet ...5.7 sbc hardly moves, HELP!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Angry 97 scarab 19 jet ...5.7 sbc hardly moves, HELP!

    Ok so it's my first jet bear with me. It's a 97 well craft scarab 19' put a 5.7 sbc in it has a Volvo Penta jet has a place diverter and electric trim. The engine is running great. Revs too 4500 boat hardly does 10 mph. I checked access cover to impeller nothing stuck in there no debris no shaft play impeller looks fine and is sharp. I played with the trim drive cables making sure it was in the whole way And not blocking nozzle and no real improvement also stuck a borascope In it and wear ring looks good....any ideas suggestions please some one help

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,855

    Default

    It has to be the pump.

    Check the packing.
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  4. #3
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    This Jet drive has some similarities to other popular mixed flow jets and although not supported by the mfg there are limited parts available for it call if we can help Tom

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member OkieDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    319

    Default Under the boat

    I'd look under to see if there's a plastic bag or something in the intake. or even some debris caught in the leading side of the impeller. amazing how little it takes to keep things from working

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default Pump?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    It has to be the pump.

    Check the packing.
    Sorry if its a dumb question I'm learning as I go with this thing when u say pump and packing what are you referring too? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions just wanna get a Handel on things and get her on the water.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    This Jet drive has some similarities to other popular mixed flow jets and although not supported by the mfg there are limited parts available for it call if we can help Tom
    Will do once i figure out what I need...hard to find parts for it around my way so if u had some or could source some that may help me down the road!

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OkieDave View Post
    I'd look under to see if there's a plastic bag or something in the intake. or even some debris caught in the leading side of the impeller. amazing how little it takes to keep things from working
    Sorry forgot to put that in original post I was under it even had intake grate off and looked all through there and saw nothing no kinda debris at all. Its frustrating I get the motor running real nice sounds wicked with the thru hulls' throttle it up and a canoe could pass me goin up river !

  10. #8
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarab jet View Post
    Sorry forgot to put that in original post I was under it even had intake grate off and looked all through there and saw nothing no kinda debris at all. Its frustrating I get the motor running real nice sounds wicked with the thru hulls' throttle it up and a canoe could pass me goin up river !
    seemed like Volvo made several different model pumps that were different designs. can you tell what model pump this is? or maybe post a pic of it?

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    seemed like Volvo made several different model pumps that were different designs. can you tell what model pump this is? or maybe post a pic of it?

    i hope these help.

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Pictures jet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	324305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	324313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	324321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	324329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	324337  


  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default Jet drive.

    Appears to say cc-1 ? And on the grey part it says Volvo Penta on it.

  14. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default Bump

    Took the jet drive apart everything looks good nothing obv. I did notice some play in the shaft the impeller sits on isn't there a way to tighten it up ? Is this possibly the problem ?

  15. #13
    Senior Member jms-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alpine, ca
    Posts
    128

    Default

    This may sound stupid but how is the engine coupled to the jet in this ? Could there be any issues there ? Are you sure the impeller is spinning the same rpm as the engine? Could someone forgot to put the keyway in or maybe it sheared off so the shaft is spinning faster than the impeller? I've never herd of one actually breaking like that but I guess it could happen.

  16. #14
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarab jet View Post
    Took the jet drive apart everything looks good nothing obv. I did notice some play in the shaft the impeller sits on isn't there a way to tighten it up ? Is this possibly the problem ?
    Time for some precision measuring , whats the impeller skirt and wear ring surface look like Tom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95