Aluminum Heads?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 59

Thread:
Aluminum Heads?

  1. #1
    Member UrbanLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50

    Default Aluminum Heads?

    I have a 460 and I currently have steel heads and I'm thinking of changing them out for aluminum heads. Has anyone here ever had any warping problems with them (berkley jet)? Also, can some give me the pro's and con's to changing them out? I have a 23' footer and I'm not going to be out racing or anything, but I would like to add more horsepower for added weight to my boat. Obvioulsy aluminum or steel isn't going to make that difference, but will there be any real difference in the weight of the motor?

    Thanks for any and all input.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
    I have a 460 and I currently have steel heads and I'm thinking of changing them out for aluminum heads. Has anyone here ever had any warping problems with them (berkley jet)? Also, can some give me the pro's and con's to changing them out? I have a 23' footer and I'm not going to be out racing or anything, but I would like to add more horsepower for added weight to my boat. Obvioulsy aluminum or steel isn't going to make that difference, but will there be any real difference in the weight of the motor?

    Thanks for any and all input.
    Get the Blue thunder heads, other wise it's a step sideways. The BT heads also allow for chevy exhaust systems to be used, much more readily available.
    Upper Midwest Power Boat Association
    DRAG BOAT RACING UMPBA #926


  4. #3
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    You may want to try a thread search over in the dyno area, The topic has come up quite a bit. Alum. advantages are obviously weight and repairability. I think if cc's and all else were equal. The iron heads will make slightly more power than their tin can brothas.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member CK7684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    550

    Default

    I've been running aluminum heads on my BBC this season with no problems...get studs instead of bolts to hold 'em for better clamping force distribution...I also use a thermostat and water pressure regulator. Also keep in mind that alum heads will soak up heat more, so it's like dropping a full compression ratio point...

  7. #5
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H20MOFO View Post
    You may want to try a thread search over in the dyno area, The topic has come up quite a bit. Alum. advantages are obviously weight and repairability. I think if cc's and all else were equal. The iron heads will make slightly more power than their tin can brothas.

    I think not. or that small advantage if it does exist is over run by the other benefits of the alumi heads.

    Savings of at least 80lbs of the back of the boat.

    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  8. #6
    Member UrbanLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Thank you men, very much appreciated. I'm sorry to tell you that you're talking to a (pretty much) illiterate when it comes to tech talk. I'm trying to learn as I go.
    The cooling issue is one of reletive ease isn't it? As long as everything is cooled properly, I really shouldn't have much to worry about, right?

    Thanks again.

  9. #7
    About 500' AGL MudPumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
    I have a 460 and I currently have steel heads and I'm thinking of changing them out for aluminum heads. Has anyone here ever had any warping problems with them (berkley jet)? Also, can some give me the pro's and con's to changing them out? I have a 23' footer and I'm not going to be out racing or anything, but I would like to add more horsepower for added weight to my boat. Obvioulsy aluminum or steel isn't going to make that difference, but will there be any real difference in the weight of the motor?

    Thanks for any and all input.
    I wouldn't waste your money on a set of Aluminum heads for that 23' boat. It's a big heavy boat and your money would be better spent on some head work on the steel heads you already have, or a stroker kit, or something else. What you are looking to get isn't worth going the extra step for aluminum heads. Just my opinion. If it was a smaller performance boat then I would say go for it.

  10. #8
    Member UrbanLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MudPumper View Post
    I wouldn't waste your money on a set of Aluminum heads for that 23' boat. It's a big heavy boat and your money would be better spent on some head work on the steel heads you already have, or a stroker kit, or something else. What you are looking to get isn't worth going the extra step for aluminum heads. Just my opinion. If it was a smaller performance boat then I would say go for it.

    Do you think it would be worth the weight loss to the back of the boat?

  11. #9
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
    Thank you men, very much appreciated. I'm sorry to tell you that you're talking to a (pretty much) illiterate when it comes to tech talk. I'm trying to learn as I go.
    The cooling issue is one of reletive ease isn't it? As long as everything is cooled properly, I really shouldn't have much to worry about, right?

    Thanks again.
    Operating rpm range ?

    The port shape of a modern Alumi head, even under 5,000 rpms will gain you power over cast iron heads, Blue Thunders or even Edelbrocks come to mind.

    Even though you have a heavy boat 80 lbs is 80 lbs. Even if you stick with porting your stockers use a RPM Air Gap intake and a good cam swap and you can add 50-75 hp to your 460 under 5,000 maybe even more. I wouldn't do the head work without a cam swap your effort will be diminished.

    Sleeper CP

  12. #10
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Do you know what heads you have now? If the alum. heads had smaller chambers then you might make more power. If they are too much smaller you may have pump gas or other issues. I wouldn't spend the money just thinking alum. heads will be faster. Unless maybe you have some crappy heads now . peanut ports or something.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  13. #11
    Senior Member djmadmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    377

  14. #12
    About 500' AGL MudPumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
    Do you think it would be worth the weight loss to the back of the boat?
    No...in a boat that big you will never see or feel the difference. Your money is better spent somewhere else.

  15. #13
    Member UrbanLegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MudPumper View Post
    No...in a boat that big you will never see or feel the difference. Your money is better spent somewhere else.
    Thank you for the input.

    I'm just thinking if I lighten up the heads I could get a 320 pound hottie in the back instead of just a 240 pound hottie.....

  16. #14
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    My 23ft Sleekcraft Executive would hit 70 no problem, with a 540 BBC on a mild cam. 5400 rpm's turning an AMT AA impeller. Weight has some effect on top end, but more of an effect on acceleration, than anything.
    Upper Midwest Power Boat Association
    DRAG BOAT RACING UMPBA #926


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95