Tiller Arm Removal
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread:
Tiller Arm Removal

  1. #1
    79 Sanger Picklefork Tittyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    857

    Default Tiller Arm Removal

    Before I get in there and just start beating the thing to death I though I would ask first prior to pounding on it...What's the best way to remove it...I know the key has to come out..see how the arm has slipped for some reason. I noticed it a couple of months ago and it was down about 1/16 and now a lot more..The pin is flush inside the droop..the arm has slipped up..thought I would ask prior to breaking it...thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8100129.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	348913  
    Last edited by Tittyman; 08-10-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    "Bill, if your gonna ride my ass that hard, at least you could pull my hair"....Hillary Clinton

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tittyman View Post
    Before I get in there and just start beating the thing to death I though I would ask first prior to pounding on it...What's the best way to remove it...I know the key has to come out..see how the arm has slipped for some reason. I noticed it a couple of months ago and it was down about 1/16 and now a lot more..The pin is flush inside the droop..the arm has slipped up..thought I would ask prior to breaking it...thanks.
    Got a 3 jaw puller,, or maybe even a 2 jaw? Seems like it would not take a ton of pressure to remove without damage.

  4. #3
    Senior Member 74Bonneville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Magic Mountain CA
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Maybe some heat, but it will ruin the paint. I repaint with appliance paint on my jet parts.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    79 Sanger Picklefork Tittyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    Got a 3 jaw puller,, or maybe even a 2 jaw? Seems like it would not take a ton of pressure to remove without damage.
    So you definitely need a puller..you just can't pry it up because of the key..and the cast material the arm is made from..correct? I do have a 2 jaw puller..
    Last edited by Tittyman; 08-10-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    "Bill, if your gonna ride my ass that hard, at least you could pull my hair"....Hillary Clinton

  7. #5
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tittyman View Post
    So you definitely need a puller..you just can't pry it up because of the key..and the cast material the arm is made from..correct? I do have a 2 jaw puller..
    If it already "moved" on its own , its not likely to be too tight , either take the allen head screw all the way out and carefully "ask it" (the tiller arm) to come out with the help and persuation of a rawhide or plastic topped mallet or you may be able to push it in enough to remove the lower woodruff key and the pull the tiller and shaft u straight up and out together ... Tom

  8. #6
    79 Sanger Picklefork Tittyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    If it already "moved" on its own , its not likely to be too tight , either take the allen head screw all the way out and carefully "ask it" (the tiller arm) to come out with the help and persuation of a rawhide or plastic topped mallet or you may be able to push it in enough to remove the lower woodruff key and the pull the tiller and shaft u straight up and out together ... Tom
    Yes it has moved on it's own...Can I leave the shaft in place, remove the top set screw and use a puller to remove the tiller arm. Then tap the tiller arm back in place with the key down so it's level again with the top of the shaft..or would you not recommend using a puller to remove..thanks
    "Bill, if your gonna ride my ass that hard, at least you could pull my hair"....Hillary Clinton

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95