1970 Shuster Torino Tahiti
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 18

Thread:
1970 Shuster Torino Tahiti

  1. #1
    Member rick1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego Ca
    Posts
    95

    Default 1970 Shuster Torino Tahiti

    Here's my 1970 Shuster Torino Tahiti, about 19 foot, with a Hardin Marine 454 BBC with a Berkley 12jc i believe. It seats 6 to 8. I bought it for $500 from a friend who gave up on it with a half dead engine and pump. I rebuilt the motor and pump 2 years ago. Ive got 15 hrs on it now. Upholstery is cracked and needs carpet replaced But its in good shape otherwise. I know Shuster is out of business, can anyone offer me any information on this boat? . I've had it 3 years now and love it to death. It's a very good looking boat, with nice lines. Its very good on the water and corners like its on rails. We have lots of fun in it, speeding and doing tight turns and donuts, Im getting close to 60 mph out of it at only 3000 rpm tho. Not sure the guy who rebuilt the pump matched the impeller to the motor, about 350 hp. I'm pretty sure it has a mild cam in it. After rebuild I put a short Edelbrock high rise intake and an 870 Holley double pumper on it. Its my first boat and probably only boat, we love this machine. I don't think the motor is much into it's power band at 3000 rpm tho...?? Just looking for advise and insight about this beautiful machine. Are there any tricks that will get me more a little more speed, other then spending a thousand or 2 on the motor. It has a standard intake grate for the berkley, no scoop or loader grate. Ive never played with these before now, but I'm very good mechanically and have done all my own exterior work on the engine, new carb, setting up cooling lines, I set up the ignition, and just about everything else on the outside of the engine. Any input appreciated.

    Thanks
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat at shore.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	349890  
    Last edited by rick1964; 08-11-2013 at 10:27 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member 74Bonneville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Magic Mountain CA
    Posts
    542

    Default

    I wouldn't mess with it for more speed. Costs would be to high, enjoy it as it is.

    Something seems off with tach or speed. I would expect 4500 to 5000 rpm to get close to 60 mph.

    How is the take off? Do you jump on plane or is it slow out of the hole? Did you use GPS for speed?

  4. #3
    Senior Member old rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Rick, as you know that hull is wide and heavy and gives a great ride. With a BBC and a Berk as a foundation seeing 70 with the right mods should be a reasonable goal. Might be some hook in that bottom that should be addressed first. Me, I'd be happy with 60 in a boat that can haul a ton of friends.

    You didn't say but a Place Diverter is a must and if you don't have one it should be the next thing you get for the boat. Save your money on a grate and get this instead, you don't need a aftermarket grate with that tub.

    Here's a shot of the first one out of the molds back in the day on the Parker strip, me at the wheel a year or so before I got my drivers license. Dad was a rigger there and I worked there from the time I was a kid til Dick Schuster started Hawaiian boats in '74 and most of us followed him to that shop, he paid very well. For years we didn't own a boat, Schuster would just send something off the showroom floor with us to the river, it was great for us and great for him to get something new seen as there were dozens and dozens of models at Tahiti through it's first decade. Countless more after we left as Tahiti lived well into the 90's with 2 different owners.

    That bottom was used on at least 5 different models that I can remember, maybe more.



    While a different deck, the boat the top of the page and at the bottom right has the same bottom, it's the 19 LP. The center shot was from the inside of one of the buildings (where Competitive trailers has been for decades) and shows a Winters worth of work stacked up against the wall. Dick would try to keep as many guys working in the off season so when Spring hit things would already be ramped up. If a customer didn't want a boat off the floor of course he could order his with what ever he wanted done to it but the inventory sold like crazy. In '71 we made the move to the big shop off the 605 freeway in Cerritos.


  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member rick1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego Ca
    Posts
    95

    Default Engine rpm

    Hi guy's thanks for the info, sounds like this boat is one to keep! It jumps out of the hole somewhat but not drastic, the nose sure pitches up tho. Here's a link to a video I posted on youtube of us rompin around mission bay last week, my tach says 3000 and rarely gets above that, sounds like the motor is doing 3000, hmm maybe more? I had it wide open a lot of the time. What do you think. I have plans on getting a new tach anyway cause I dont like the style that's in it. What does a place diverter do for performance? We used GPS for the speed.

    Thanks much

    Last edited by rick1964; 08-12-2013 at 11:03 AM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member River Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,608

    Default

    I could be wrong but if you GPD's it at 60 and your tach is reading 3k it is most likely a bad tach. Just by the video it sounds like alot more than 3k..... IF you have a timing light that reads RPM hook it up and take it back out next time and I bet you will find that your motor is in the 4 to 4500 range. Just a guess though..

  8. #6
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    I had a 72. What a great boat
    Speed was about 65 on a good day
    But it rode great and carried 6 people plus gear.
    There's one in Florida and one in Washington that have big power that run well.
    $2 grand wouldn't get you 5
    Mph probably.
    Enjoy it
    #55

  9. #7
    Senior Member old rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick1964 View Post
    It jumps out of the hole somewhat but not drastic, the nose sure pitches up tho... What does a place diverter do for performance?
    Place diverter, an adjustable nozzle, will keep the nose down out of the hole and free up the boat on top end, lets you trim according to your load and water conditions.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick1964 View Post
    Here's my 1970 Shuster Torino Tahiti, about 19 foot, with a Hardin Marine 454 BBC with a Berkley 12jc i believe. It seats 6 to 8. I bought it for $500 from a friend who gave up on it with a half dead engine and pump. I rebuilt the motor and pump 2 years ago. Ive got 15 hrs on it now. Upholstery is cracked and needs carpet replaced But its in good shape otherwise. I know Shuster is out of business, can anyone offer me any information on this boat? . I've had it 3 years now and love it to death. It's a very good looking boat, with nice lines. Its very good on the water and corners like its on rails. We have lots of fun in it, speeding and doing tight turns and donuts, Im getting close to 60 mph out of it at only 3000 rpm tho. Not sure the guy who rebuilt the pump matched the impeller to the motor, about 350 hp. I'm pretty sure it has a mild cam in it. After rebuild I put a short Edelbrock high rise intake and an 870 Holley double pumper on it. Its my first boat and probably only boat, we love this machine. I don't think the motor is much into it's power band at 3000 rpm tho...?? Just looking for advise and insight about this beautiful machine. Are there any tricks that will get me more a little more speed, other then spending a thousand or 2 on the motor. It has a standard intake grate for the berkley, no scoop or loader grate. Ive never played with these before now, but I'm very good mechanically and have done all my own exterior work on the engine, new carb, setting up cooling lines, I set up the ignition, and just about everything else on the outside of the engine. Any input appreciated.

    Thanks
    Rick
    That is some cool old stuff. Looks somewhat like a longer version of the '73 17' Sleekcraft Montery that I used to have. The windshield is identical.

    Old Rigger has given you some really interesting history on it.

    And I agree with River Dad: Your tach is hosed. No way you could do 60 mph at only 3000 rpm. That would be truly impressive.

    Enjoy your float!

  11. #9
    Senior Member 74Bonneville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Magic Mountain CA
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick1964 View Post
    Hi guy's thanks for the info, sounds like this boat is one to keep! It jumps out of the hole somewhat but not drastic, the nose sure pitches up tho. Here's a link to a video I posted on youtube of us rompin around mission bay last week, my tach says 3000 and rarely gets above that, sounds like the motor is doing 3000, hmm maybe more? I had it wide open a lot of the time. What do you think. I have plans on getting a new tach anyway cause I dont like the style that's in it. What does a place diverter do for performance? We used GPS for the speed.

    Thanks much

    I have this rpm gauge app on my phone that I used when I thought my tach was off. It turned out to be pretty close. It says 4400 rpm when you come in close which is also what it sounds like to me. Once again I would enjoy that boat as it is

  12. #10
    Member rick1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego Ca
    Posts
    95

    Default Enjoyment!

    Lots of good advice, we love it as is,, taking it out again this Saturday. Fun times

  13. #11
    Senior Member old rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpkardell View Post
    ... Looks somewhat like a longer version of the '73 17' Sleekcraft Montery that I used to have. The windshield is identical....
    the little 16/17 foot Torino based decks that everyone and their brother built that were derived from the original Sidewinder deck all share the same windshield. This 19 (and the 18 footer which is a completely different deck and hull) that Tahiti and a few others built is wider and basically shares the same bubble shape as the others but are not interchangeable.

    Guy in Az still makes them.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Double A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Yakima, Washington
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Damn Dude...you are having too much fun! Keep it up!

  15. #13
    Senior Member Double A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Yakima, Washington
    Posts
    391

    Default





    [/QUOTE]
    That is so cool to see the boats stacked like that!

  16. #14
    Member rick1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego Ca
    Posts
    95

    Default Mods and hook

    Hey Old Rigger you mentioned possibly seeing 70 with the right mods..? Would that be the place diverter you mentioned? And what is hook in a boat... what do I look for to tell, Im taking her out again this Saturday

    Thanks

    Rick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95