Oops!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 340

Thread:
Oops!!!

  1. #1
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Unhappy Oops!!!

    Well, I took the boat out tonight, and it was running good and hard. I could finally put my foot into it without it making any funky sounds. But, I think I might have ran it just a bit too hard. Final pass, started to hear a clanking sound, said uh oh, better put it on the trailer. Got it back to the house, pulled the passenger valve cover and here's what I found, yummy. And the #8 intake rocker came off, and the push rod was sticking way out of the hole, and it won't go back down to where it normally sits, so I'm afraid for the worst. I'm going to pull the intake tomorrow and see what's up. But, looks like my season might be over now. Here's some pics.

    Passenger side.




    Drivers side.


    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    BTC cardcarrying member sunkisst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chantilly Va.
    Posts
    1,074

    Question HJ's 427 Tall Deck Motor

    Patrick, I want one of those so that I will have something to do until Thanksgiving...Got an extra???

  4. #3
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    Did'nt some one suggest to you to change all the nuts on you rocker studs last time this happened? Nuts loose again whoopy there goes the fun. As for the milkshake, I see something that is miss placed, that would be your ball valve on the intake. putting a restriction on the water discharge will cause an over pressure on the cooling system, could be up to 100+ psi possible. A valve should be located just off the pump, tee valve for the headers should be before the ball valve too.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcrafter View Post
    Did'nt some one suggest to you to change all the nuts on you rocker studs last time this happened? Nuts loose again whoopy there goes the fun. As for the milkshake, I see something that is miss placed, that would be your ball valve on the intake. putting a restriction on the water discharge will cause an over pressure on the cooling system, could be up to 100+ psi possible. A valve should be located just off the pump, tee valve for the headers should be before the ball valve too.
    Nope, pressure never got over 22 psi at WOT, about 52 mph. Here's a pic to prove it (from today). My dump line is unrestricted so it doesn't build up a lot of pressure. The gate valve for the headers is before the t-valve. That is a 100 psi gauge, so if I had 100 psi I would know it. I think it has something to do with the damn spacers I have for the intake. I hope I didn't blow a head gasket.



    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  7. #5
    Just Me snoc653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    The pushrod won't go back down because it is bent. Buy a new one. The valve cover looks like milkshake most likely because of condensation. Your plumbing needs adjusted. Cold river water, hot engine, hot and cold spots in head = condensation. What does the oil in the pan look like?

  8. #6
    ... Some Kind Of Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    2,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoc653 View Post
    The pushrod won't go back down because it is bent. Buy a new one. The valve cover looks like milkshake most likely because of condensation. Your plumbing needs adjusted. Cold river water, hot engine, hot and cold spots in head = condensation. What does the oil in the pan look like?
    I hope you're right, but I think thats a bit much for condensation. At least you know what to do about putting the rocker back sonce its happened before Patrick. What you need to do different this time is replace the nuts!! If it happened before and you used the same nuts, it will probably happen again. Just a guess here but I bet you're intake gasket is blown and letting water into the motor. You have double the chance with those spacers. Just a guess. I would have guessed too much water to the headers but it doesn't look like you have much judging by the pics.

  9. #7
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    22 psi is too much IMO, regardless the gate valve belongs right off the pump, not on the exit side of the motor.

  10. #8
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoc653 View Post
    The pushrod won't go back down because it is bent. Buy a new one. The valve cover looks like milkshake most likely because of condensation. Your plumbing needs adjusted. Cold river water, hot engine, hot and cold spots in head = condensation. What does the oil in the pan look like?
    My first thought also, but I rolled the pushrod on a flat surface and it was straight. I pulled the dipstick out and it was clean, no milkshake, the oil is starting to pick up a little color though, not the new yellow like it has been.

    Any way I plumb this thing, I'm going to have cold water going into a hot motor. Unless I switch to a thermostat setup, and I'm not doing that. I've been through all of this before, on here. Let's lot turn this thread into this please. Need Pumbing Help!!!!!!

    My first thought when I saw the milk, was also condensation, but then I looked at how much there is, then I looked at the dipstick, so I keep going back and forth on it.

    Thanks.

    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  11. #9
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcrafter View Post
    22 psi is too much IMO, regardless the gate valve belongs right off the pump, not on the exit side of the motor.
    The valve has nothing to do with the dump side. The boat only has 1 dump and the other fitting on the T-stat housing is the header water supply. The valve hooks up between there and the T-valve.

    Regardless, IMO there is no better cooling system for a header equipped jet boat than the LPHV (low pressure high volume) cooling system, where you have 2 dump lines, a pressure relief valve adjusted to start opening at 12psi, and a thermostat and run the water full on unrestricted from the pump. 50 hours later and I've never seen even a hint of water in the oil...not even the "condensation" you speak of. This type of system eliminates hot/cold spots in the heads since it will have more than enough water coming in to completely fill the block and the thermostat holds it in the block longer. Constant temp regardless of pump RPM, no more hot/cold spots and no water in the oil.
    Last edited by Jetaholic; 09-24-2008 at 07:19 PM.



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  12. #10
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcrafter View Post
    22 psi is too much IMO, regardless the gate valve belongs right off the pump, not on the exit side of the motor.
    You mean like this???



    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  13. #11
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetaholic View Post
    The valve has nothing to do with the dump side. The boat only has 1 dump and the other fitting on the T-stat housing is the header water supply. The valve hooks up between there and the T-valve.
    Correct, I think. Here's a picture to clear some things up about my plumbing.



    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  14. #12
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    Correct, I think. Here's a picture to clear some things up about my plumbing.



    Read my post above about the LPHV/T-stat setup. Way better and you only have to set it up 1 time.

    Also...what cam/spring combo are you running in that thing? I highly recommend ARP rocker studs and roller rockers to be able to handle the RPMs we spin in these things. Also, you may wanna invest in an adjustable push rod so that you can measure for how long of a push rod you'll need for proper valve train geometry. On top of that, upgrade to some 3/8" 1 piece pushrods...you'll need to make sure you're running lifters that will allow you to run 3/8" pushrods and you'll have to change the guideplates for 3/8" rods as well. But by doing these things you'll make the valve train bulletproof.

    One more thing...you may wanna consider running a smaller crank pulley to slow the alternator down. In a car the engine's only spinnig around 2000 RPM so a 3:1 pulley ratio (standard car pulley ratio) would spin it at 6,000. However jet boat engines spin faster than they do in a car, so at a cruise RPM of 3500-4000, with the pulley you're running you're spinning the alternator at about 9,000-12,000RPMs. Alternators...especially OEM ones....are not made for that. By changing over to a 2:1 pulley ratio you'll slow the alternator down and your alternator will thank you for it. I run a 2:1 pulley and I have plenty of charge voltage.
    Last edited by Jetaholic; 09-24-2008 at 07:27 PM.



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  15. #13
    ... Some Kind Of Monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    2,056

    Default

    Here is my best guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01360.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	20779  

  16. #14
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetaholic View Post
    Read my post above about the LPHV/T-stat setup. Way better and you only have to set it up 1 time.

    Also...what cam/spring combo are you running in that thing? I highly recommend ARP rocker studs and roller rockers to be able to handle the RPMs we spin in these things. Also, you may wanna invest in an adjustable push rod so that you can measure for how long of a push rod you'll need for proper valve train geometry. On top of that, upgrade to some 3/8" 1 piece pushrods...you'll need to make sure you're running lifters that will allow you to run 3/8" pushrods and you'll have to change the guideplates for 3/8" rods as well. But by doing these things you'll make the valve train bulletproof.
    I saw it. I've stated my opinion on those setups in other threads, and as of right now, I'm sticking to it.

    Will a set of 0-12 inch micrometers work for this? Because I have those laying around, but not an adjustable pushrod. Cause I should only need the same length ones I'm currently running, right? Or am I missing something here. But anyways, that's not really an option at this time. Def. in the future though. I'm just gonna get some posi-locks for now.

    Don't know on the cam/spring combo, it came assembled and I never messed with it.

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Some Kind Of Monster View Post
    Here is my best guess.
    Here's a better shot.



    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 10-19-2008 at 12:20 AM.
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95