Bottom Hook
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 84

Thread:
Bottom Hook

  1. #1
    Large Member edog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Riverside, Ca
    Posts
    679

    Default Bottom Hook

    I hear people talking about taking hook out of the bottom of the boat, to get more MPH.
    Why is there hook in bottom to begin with?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by edog View Post
    I hear people talking about taking hook out of the bottom of the boat, to get more MPH.
    Why is there hook in bottom to begin with?
    Because the curved shape creates a low pressure zone when water passes by it (kinda like an airplane wing), thus creating suction. Which pulls the hull down into the water a bit, making it more stable, but in turn the hull will be slower. With a perfectly flat hull very little suction is created so the boat flies higher, thus the hull will run faster. But it is also less stable, thus the boat is more dangerous.

    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 09-25-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  4. #3
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edog View Post
    I hear people talking about taking hook out of the bottom of the boat, to get more MPH.
    Why is there hook in bottom to begin with?
    some may have a lil rocker in them on purpose, research the hull brand well and make sure this is not the case if you take out rocker that was meant to be there, it may buck and porpuse like crazy on ya from then on

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Banne'd Cobra1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,568

    Default

    Hook and rocker go hand in hand. If you look at some of the new ski boats they claim to be "trimable". Not really. They have rocker built in and they use a trim tab of sorts to force the nose of the boat down. Then when the lift the tab the boat starts to rock back on the tail end. Hook is there for a reason. If you remove it your going to have a heluva ride. And at slow speeds a sucky ride.
    Last edited by Cobra1; 09-25-2008 at 04:54 PM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member LuckyDaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma Wa
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    Because the curved shape creates a low pressure zone when water passes by it (kinda like an airplane wing), thus creating suction. Which pulls the hull down into the water a bit, making it more stable, but in turn the hull will be slower. With a perfectly flat hull very little suction is created so the boat flies higher, thus the hull will run faster. But it is also less stable, thus the boat is more dangerous.


    Not always. There was a feller here who blue printed the bottom of his hull took out all of the hook, and then couldn't get it to stay in the water. You know when you dole out information you'd better make sure its correct or you know what your talking about....


    Hook can also be caused by an improper fitting trailer warping the bottom of the boat.

  8. #6
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    jack at MPD told me i need to leave 1/16" to 1/8" hook in my hull or it will want to porpuse.

  9. #7
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDaze View Post
    Not always. There was a feller here who blue printed the bottom of his hull took out all of the hook, and then couldn't get it to stay in the water. You know when you dole out information you'd better make sure its correct or you know what your talking about....


    Hook can also be caused by an improper fitting trailer warping the bottom of the boat.
    Re-read what I wrote. That is exactly what I said. Remove the hook, and the boat is going to fly higher, and on some boats it may even want to fly completely out of the water.

    And I know all about the improper fitting trailer thing.
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  10. #8
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Edog ,start on a good surface (garage floor) with a mat or creeper and a good 3' to 5' foot straight edge and check the boat bottom carefully for "distortion or uneveness" especially in ares where it sets on the bunks etc call if you need more info Tom

  11. #9
    460
    460 is offline
    ATTA BOY 460's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    Re-read what I wrote. That is exactly what I said. Remove the hook, and the boat is going to fly higher, and on some boats it may even want to fly completely out of the water.

    And I know all about the improper fitting trailer thing.
    Im going to say and sum can back me up but not every boat needs the hook taken out to ride on top of the water. I talked to the builder of my boat and he told me to leave it there or im asking for trouble. Matter of fact he used the word PORPUSE. You need to do your research before you start taking hook out. Could end up hurting you in the end

  12. #10
    ....like warm apple pie RaceFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mission Viejo
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    Re-read what I wrote. That is exactly what I said. Remove the hook, and the boat is going to fly higher, and on some boats it may even want to fly completely out of the water.

    And I know all about the improper fitting trailer thing.
    Ya gotta love this guy. His boat has been in the water for 2 weeks and has jet boats ALL figured out and is throwing advice out.....especially with the way his boats PLOWS through the water!!! YOU DA MAN!!!! NOT!!!

    Just a tip....a high post count doesn't mean you know shit about jet boats...and we ALL know you do not have the seat time to give advice....especially when you don't take the advice yourself.

    As I have said before, there are alot of VETERAN jet boaters who don't come in the jet section anymore because they are tired of ALL your threads, your lip service in their threads, and your inexperienced 'advice' to other jet boaters. Take a rest for a while and let the veterans come back and enjoy the boards they helped start. They are the ones that should be giving advice, not you...and when they try to give advice to someone else, shut up...whether you are 'misquoted' or not or whether you think you know or not.

    I guarantee you, there are alot of jet boaters on these that have spent more time in the seat than you have on this earth...myself included. Your sled floats and runs, go use it and get some seat time and give the rest of us a break.


    OR you can hit another angle and see if the mods will start a "HJ's Hawaiian" section in Tech.
    Race

  13. #11
    Purple headed member Quickjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    7,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFace View Post
    Ya gotta love this guy. His boat has been in the water for 2 weeks and has jet boats ALL figured out and is throwing advice out.....especially with the way his boats PLOWS through the water!!! YOU DA MAN!!!! NOT!!!

    Just a tip....a high post count doesn't mean you know shit about jet boats...and we ALL know you do not have the seat time to give advice....especially when you don't take the advice yourself.

    As I have said before, there are alot of VETERAN jet boaters who don't come in the jet section anymore because they are tired of ALL your threads, your lip service in their threads, and your inexperienced 'advice' to other jet boaters. Take a rest for a while and let the veterans come back and enjoy the boards they helped start. They are the ones that should be giving advice, not you...and when they try to give advice to someone else, shut up...whether you are 'misquoted' or not or whether you think you know or not.

    I guarantee you, there are alot of jet boaters on these that have spent more time in the seat than you have on this earth...myself included. Your sled floats and runs, go use it and get some seat time and give the rest of us a break.


    OR you can hit another angle and see if the mods will start a "HJ's Hawaiian" section in Tech.
    My name is Quickjet and I approve this message!.......
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I used to believe QJ was a gay black man..

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Secret View Post
    Keith...
    Real Fast Big Blocks are always V-Drives

  14. #12
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    My name is Quickjet and I approve this message!.......

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    whoowee...tough crowd!!! ...but, i do agree & approve this msg also

    FastRat

  16. #14
    Boat 502 76Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    1,298

    Default Step away from the keyboard

    I second this request

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95