Finally got the new ride!!!!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
Finally got the new ride!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    387

    Default Finally got the new ride!!!!!!

    After almost 3 years, 2 blown motors, a ton of interior work, and a hell of alot of headache, I finally decided to cut my loses and downgrade for reliability. As some of you know I have been parting out the motor and the boat which has finally gotten me enough money to pick up the new boat...Just picked her up yesterday!

    Its actually the exact same boat I had with a 455 instead of a 454(and it has upholstery).
    1974 Tahiti Tiger
    455 Olds w/Berkley pump
    ....thats about it all I know.

    Picked this up from a retired gentleman that my dad knows. From what he told me its stock minus throwing in a new dizzy, holly carb, and some tuning to run a little more efficiently on todays pump gas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first bath 1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	493930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first bath sum.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	493938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test run 2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	493946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test run 1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	493954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test run 3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	493962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	covered.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	493970

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    So you downgraded for reliability but got a 455? Hmmm.

  4. #3
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 67weiman View Post
    So you downgraded for reliability but got a 455? Hmmm.
    haha. if you only knew the problems i had with the last one. No more stacks, dual carbs, tunnel ram....all the stuff that created problems for me. In 3 years I saw the water for about 2 hours and an hour and a half was me paddling back to the dock. Im past looking cool and flashy. Just want something that I can take out and enjoy. Ill take my time and do another Chevy build later down the road.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member TrollerDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chino,CA
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Congrats. Looks like it was well taken care of. Hopefully, you'll get some water up there to enjoy it.

    Do you have plans to do anything to it?

  7. #5
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrollerDave View Post
    Congrats. Looks like it was well taken care of. Hopefully, you'll get some water up there to enjoy it.

    Do you have plans to do anything to it?
    Thanks. I took it to Folsom Lake yesterday for a quick test drive and the lake is one giant debris field. Slowly getting some more water but not enough yet. I really dont want to mess with it too much right now. I have 2 missed summers to make up for. I did a wet sand and polish today on a small section and it seemed to shine up real nice. Aside from that I'll probably just replace the carpet(not a big fan of the 70's brown). The plan is to enjoy if for the summer, sell it, and buy a better one.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, Calif.
    Posts
    1,396

    Cool

    congats...much nicer than the green one

  9. #7
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Thank you. Yeah the green one was hideous.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Mouzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    corona ca
    Posts
    19,779

    Default

    Hey bud, you gotta do what you gotta do to get out there and have some fun...ive wasted many yrs with project boats because there a popular model..when i coulda bought a clean trihull with a jet on the back and been pulling my kids on tubes instead of trying to build the best.......

    i give you .. up for the effort..........projects suck so just save for a better boat and when your ready sell yours......get the new one of your dreams

    im not a jet guy but i think they will tellya you can jump on it with a 455 olds just dont keep it wide open long..........

    OK IM GOING BACK TO THE V-DRIVE SECTION NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by Mouzer; 03-11-2014 at 11:34 AM.


    ''''''OWNER OF THE BIG WHITE WOLF....,,,
    ,,,

  11. #9
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouzer View Post
    Hey bud, you gotta do what you gotta do to get out there and have some fun...ive wasted many yrs with project boats because there a popular model..when i coulda bought a clean trihull with a jet on the back and been pulling my kids on tubes instead of trying to build the best.......

    i give you .. up for the effort..........projects suck so just save for a better boat and when your ready sell yours......get the new one of your dreams

    im not a jet guy but i think they will tellya you can jump on it with a 455 olds just dont keep it wide open long..........

    OK IM GOING BACK TO THE V-DRIVE SECTION NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    yeah I definitely learned the hard way. Leaned a hell of a lot though.....and spent a lot. Im just looking forward to having a kick ass summer now. Your totally right...When im ready to build another I'll be better off building a better boat. Ive heard not to keep a 455 wide open for extended periods of time from a lot of people. Can you give me an idea as to what an extended period of time is?

  12. #10
    Senior Member TrollerDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chino,CA
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monstertahiti78 View Post
    yeah I definitely learned the hard way. Leaned a hell of a lot though.....and spent a lot. Im just looking forward to having a kick ass summer now. Your totally right...When im ready to build another I'll be better off building a better boat. Ive heard not to keep a 455 wide open for extended periods of time from a lot of people. Can you give me an idea as to what an extended period of time is?
    Depends on how it's built.
    I don't really run mine at higher RPM's (4-5k) for longer than 10 seconds, if that.
    All the oil gets pushed up into the heads and slowly drains back down.
    I've had oil blow out of the breathers and catch fire on the headers. I probably have other issues, but that's just my experience.
    Unless it's built to run hard, cruise it with short bursts of wide open and give it time for the oil to drain back into the pan.
    They can be good motors. Keep an eye on your oil pressure.

  13. #11
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrollerDave View Post
    Depends on how it's built.
    I don't really run mine at higher RPM's (4-5k) for longer than 10 seconds, if that.
    All the oil gets pushed up into the heads and slowly drains back down.
    I've had oil blow out of the breathers and catch fire on the headers. I probably have other issues, but that's just my experience.
    Unless it's built to run hard, cruise it with short bursts of wide open and give it time for the oil to drain back into the pan.
    They can be good motors. Keep an eye on your oil pressure.
    Good to know. Thanks for the input, its much appreciated. I would be devastated if I blew this motor up and was out of a boat for another summer......so I will make sure I keep my foot out of it.

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Havasu Az
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monstertahiti78 View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for the input, its much appreciated. I would be devastated if I blew this motor up and was out of a boat for another summer......so I will make sure I keep my foot out of it.
    Famous last words!!! Keep my foot out of it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #13
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tad.maloney View Post
    Famous last words!!! Keep my foot out of it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'll see how long it lasts.

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Yakima, wa
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Nice looking Tiger!

    Mine's yellow where yours is red, and I'm running a 460. I also have the bench seat setup in back. What length is yours? Mine is an 18 and looks smaller than yours?

    Nice looking boat! Something to be said for just turning the key and enjoying the ride.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95