spoon???
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread:
spoon???

  1. #1
    Senior Member 1975sleekcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    393

    Default spoon???

    so a couple years ago i bought this 75 Eliminator Bubble deck for cheap...i did a rattle can re-build on the motor...shot some clear over the gel...re-placed all the cables...seals in the pump(everything else looked and felt tight)...put carpet in it, and rebuilt the seats(old covers).....All in under 2 grand !!!!!! first time out it GPS'D @ 74mph...drove like a cadillac...Loved it!! Drove the heck out of it...had it out 24 times the first year...It loves W.O.T.--so thats where it is--Alot--

    so last year i decided to race it... It ran a 12.42 @ 81 MPH...i didn't know how fast i was, i was pissed, it porpoised from about 74 on...

    It is a berk JB-A with a droop, and place diverter...But no ride plate.

    Pulled my intake, sent it to B1, now i have everything to put it back together...........

    WHAT THE HECK IS A SPOON!!!!

    is a spoon like the bubble the put on Datona's??????
    or is a spoon the other direction---up---??????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0058.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	504593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0438.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	504601  
    75 Eliminator

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Just Me snoc653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    A spoon looks just like the bottom of a spoon on the bottom of the boat. You will see it just in front of the intake. And if you carpeted between the stringers, you would have noticed it as a significant dip.

    Edit: That doesn't look like a bubble deck, and all of the semi-V huals I've seen with a spoon have fixed cav plates. It could just be your boat isn't happy with the droop or angle of the nozzle.
    Last edited by snoc653; 03-28-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    So many projects, so little time

  4. #3
    Senior Member 1975sleekcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoc653 View Post
    A spoon looks just like the bottom of a spoon on the bottom of the boat. You will see it just in front of the intake. And if you carpeted between the stringers, you would have noticed it as a significant dip.

    Edit: That doesn't look like a bubble deck, and all of the semi-V huals I've seen with a spoon have fixed cav plates. It could just be your boat isn't happy with the droop or angle of the nozzle.
    i put the droop on to try and stop the porpoising...as for the nozzle angle...with full diverter...it doesn't porpoise...But...it's slower...
    I now am trying a back cut shoe, ride-plate combo...and a new loader...

    My concern is...once i took my intake out...i noticed a small (about a foot or so) slight up curve in the keel right before the intake...i put an 8' level on it...it goes up an 18th inch or so???
    75 Eliminator

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member 1975sleekcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    393

    Default anythig too bad?

    looks different than i remember.....
    Would this cause Porpoising???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0669.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	504609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0670.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	504617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0671.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	504625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0672.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	504633  
    75 Eliminator

  7. #5
    Member sneakyneon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I hear spooning leads to forking...

  8. #6
    Member sneakyneon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Ok something useful, I read this thread a wile back on a spoon bottomed boats, not sure if you saw this or not...
    http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...469-spoon.html

  9. #7
    Senior Member 78_Tahiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Highlands, CA
    Posts
    110

    Default

    good info, thanks guys!

  10. #8
    Half a bubble off jrork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1975sleekcraft View Post
    WHAT THE HECK IS A SPOON!!!!
    is a spoon like the bubble the put on Datona's??????
    or is a spoon the other direction---up---??????
    Your boat runs hard! Dave, I believe the spoon is similar to what you've seen on the Daytonas up here. Take a spoon and run water from the faucet over the back side of it and watch how the water follows the curve of the back side of the spoon. Now imagine that same thing on the bottom of the boat and how you could use that curve to feed the pump by shaping the water. Even the glass intake of the Panther has a spoon (at least that's what I called it at the time) to help feed the pump.

    Hope to see you and D on the water soon....
    Last edited by jrork; 03-29-2014 at 07:19 AM.

  11. #9
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    16,461

    Default

    FWIW,

    Our Miller did in fact have a pronounced "spoon" before the intake when new.

    I had a guy re-set the intake and he did an absolutely horrible job and removed the spoon. (And cracked the hull, and didn't have the right epoxy, etc)

    The boat cavitated constantly and destroyed my detailed aluminum A.

    I thought I would have to rebuild the spoon, but a proper reset, with shoe and plate and loader fixed everything.

    It never cavs and pulls hard from 0-80MPH+., No spoon required.
    Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Tommy please remove all Jimsplace quotes from your sig and don't put more back. He doesn't like it and it is against the rules. Thank you.
    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

  12. #10
    Member 5ribsangerhydro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    south central pa
    Posts
    31

    Default


  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default Bubbledeck

    Quote Originally Posted by 1975sleekcraft View Post
    so a couple years ago i bought this 75 Eliminator Bubble deck for cheap...i did a rattle can re-build on the motor...shot some clear over the gel...re-placed all the cables...seals in the pump(everything else looked and felt tight)...put carpet in it, and rebuilt the seats(old covers).....All in under 2 grand !!!!!! first time out it GPS'D @ 74mph...drove like a cadillac...Loved it!! Drove the heck out of it...had it out 24 times the first year...It loves W.O.T.--so thats where it is--Alot--

    so last year i decided to race it... It ran a 12.42 @ 81 MPH...i didn't know how fast i was, i was pissed, it porpoised from about 74 on...

    It is a berk JB-A with a droop, and place diverter...But no ride plate.

    Pulled my intake, sent it to B1, now i have everything to put it back together...........

    WHAT THE HECK IS A SPOON!!!!

    is a spoon like the bubble the put on Datona's??????
    or is a spoon the other direction---up---??????
    The 18 Bubbledeck with the proper setup will easily run mid to high 90's with good power and no porpoise and no bottom modifications. Bottoms of boats are not all the same so what works on one boat may not work on yours. Start with the basic set up and work up from there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95