460 versus 454 versus 455
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 33

Thread:
460 versus 454 versus 455

  1. #1
    Senior Member k5-cj5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kuna, Idaho
    Posts
    101

    Default 460 versus 454 versus 455

    Been looking at a lot of boats, always stayed clear of the boats with Fords, because im a chevy guy. But in reality I have seen a lot of nice boats with 460 power plants. I want to know if there is really a big longevity difference between the 460 454 and 455, which I see in the boats most often, especially the 455 olds. I know it has its issues, what should I be concerned about with the 460? Im pretty familiar with the 454. This is stemming from a couple boats I like that have the 460 and Berkeley jet versus the 455 boats I have seen with jacuzzi and Berkeley, pretty mixed. Oh, im looking at mini day-cruisers in the 21-22 ft range. thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Positive Vibration Dread Pirate of Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Humboldt
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Personally I would stay away from Olds and the Jacuzzi. Chevy would be cheaper to maintain and my personal choice, but there is nothing wrong with a Ford. The Berkeley will be a better option all around and have way better resale and parts availability. Be patient and the right boat will pop up.

  4. #3
    Senior Member andyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Valley of the Winds
    Posts
    302

    Default Yup

    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate of Humboldt View Post
    Personally I would stay away from Olds and the Jacuzzi. Chevy would be cheaper to maintain and my personal choice, but there is nothing wrong with a Ford. The Berkeley will be a better option all around and have way better resale and parts availability. Be patient and the right boat will pop up.

    IMO: If it has a Chevy and a Berkeley/Dominator/Aggressor/American Turbine pump, then your ahead of the game for parts availability, maintenance and resale.

    Even though my first boat had a 460 and it screamed!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    674

    Default

    I think both Ford and Chevy make solid motors and with care and upkeep would both serve you well. While I dont have any personal experience with the 455, its my understanding it suffers from oil starvation when operated continuously at higher r's which is exactly what a jet requires, and has a propensity to wear out rod bearings. All that said, I did lose a head gasket on 460 but it was old and due for a refresh. I am looking for a boat and to be honest, I dont really care what sellers tell me, I always budget 1000-1500 for "maintenance" These motors work pretty hard turning a jet especially if you are hot foot.

  7. #5
    Senior Member k5-cj5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kuna, Idaho
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Thanks for the replys guys. I dont mind doing work on one, just want a good platform to start with, and prefer one that I can work on but still get out on the water with the family fairly quickly. Most of the boats around for sale seem to be a 455 with either a Berkeley or Jacuzzi pump. There is a SleekCraft that im going to look at its a 23 ft versus the 21fts that I had been looking at but its got a newer 454 with Berkeley jet, just needs some interior work. The other is an 86 centurion with Berkeley and also a 21ft Bayon with a 455 Berkeley. Im looking at 8 different boats the within 5 days, fun fun. Just want to make sure I get a decent one to start with.

    How much heavier and slower are a day cruiser versus a mini cruiser?

  8. #6
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Ya, stay away from 455 olds. Seems like they are nothing but problems for most people. Unless it's dirt cheap and the hull is way nice, run. The swap from olds to chev isn't cheap...
    Stick with what you like, no sense running something you don't like to work on....and figure if i can put a chev together out of junkyard parts and have it stay together anybody can.
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default nothing wrong with a olds

    the problem with Oldsmobile is that it doesn't like high rpm no more than 5000 rpm you can get more but you have put a lot of money in to them don't get me wrong ford are not cheap to build am a ford guy but there not cheap to build Chevy are better on the pocket book to build stay with Berkley pumps you can do a lot more with them and cheaper to work on good luck in your search

  10. #8
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bronco1 View Post
    the problem with Oldsmobile is that it doesn't like high rpm no more than 5000 rpm you can get more but you have put a lot of money in to them don't get me wrong ford are not cheap to build am a ford guy but there not cheap to build Chevy are better on the pocket book to build stay with Berkley pumps you can do a lot more with them and cheaper to work on good luck in your search
    By the time you are done building an olds that will rev past 5k and stay together it's not an olds anymore.
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  11. #9
    "BOATLESS" blender over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wildomar/Big River/OcotilloWells
    Posts
    3,468

    Default Yep!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate of Humboldt View Post
    Personally I would stay away from Olds and the Jacuzzi. Chevy would be cheaper to maintain and my personal choice, but there is nothing wrong with a Ford. The Berkeley will be a better option all around and have way better resale and parts availability. Be patient and the right boat will pop up.
    X2, well said. Olds is no bueno for a jet, or anything IMO, fords work well and make good-great power, but on the same token so does a Chevy but a Chevy u will spend less to make the same power as a ford, plus on a chevy the Dizzy on the back of the motor-boat just plain looks better

  12. #10
    Senior Member uniboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blender over View Post
    X2, well said. Olds is no bueno for a jet, or anything IMO, fords work well and make good-great power, but on the same token so does a Chevy but a Chevy u will spend less to make the same power as a ford, plus on a chevy the Dizzy on the back of the motor-boat just plain looks better
    Looks are one thing but being able to get to the dizzy from the back seat is priceless....just saying.

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    33

    Default Gotta disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by blender over View Post
    X2, well said. Olds is no bueno for a jet, or anything IMO, fords work well and make good-great power, but on the same token so does a Chevy but a Chevy u will spend less to make the same power as a ford, plus on a chevy the Dizzy on the back of the motor-boat just plain looks better
    Those of us who remember the boat biz in the 70 s saw thousands of 455/jacuzzi combinations, the reason is that they work and work well. It was the perfect motor for a jet boat, however the 455 was discontinued in the late 70s and fords & Chevys took over. Only a few of the old timers know how to build a olds and you have to load the pump differently with them. On a day cruiser application the 455 will out perform the others 100% of the time on the geometry alone. Parts are still available & swapping power plants will get costly, remember it's not a day cruiser drag boat. If possible go with a Berkeley though it's a better product

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blender over View Post
    X2, well said. Olds is no bueno for a jet, or anything IMO, fords work well and make good-great power, but on the same token so does a Chevy but a Chevy u will spend less to make the same power as a ford, plus on a chevy the Dizzy on the back of the motor-boat just plain looks better

    I agree with most of what you say, however if the dizzy is located located in the back and it's on a Chevy, it's probably not V-Drive. If looks and status are important, it'll be a V-Drive.
    There are exceptions however.

  15. #13
    "BOATLESS" blender over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wildomar/Big River/OcotilloWells
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post
    I agree with most of what you say, however if the dizzy is located located in the back and it's on a Chevy, it's probably not V-Drive. If looks and status are important, it'll be a V-Drive.
    There are exceptions however.
    Lol, yep no mention of a vdrive be me. I'm not a vdrive guy, more of a CP-Daytona jet guy. Nothing wrong with a "good" vdrive though, as long as u have a good lower back and kidney belt.

  16. #14
    "BOATLESS" blender over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wildomar/Big River/OcotilloWells
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mizer View Post
    Those of us who remember the boat biz in the 70 s saw thousands of 455/jacuzzi combinations, the reason is that they work and work well. It was the perfect motor for a jet boat, however the 455 was discontinued in the late 70s and fords & Chevys took over. Only a few of the old timers know how to build a olds and you have to load the pump differently with them. On a day cruiser application the 455 will out perform the others 100% of the time on the geometry alone. Parts are still available & swapping power plants will get costly, remember it's not a day cruiser drag boat. If possible go with a Berkeley though it's a better product
    Lol, ok, everyone has there own opinion and u are bringing back up the "70s" when 455 and jacuzzi jets were the thing to have, those days are long gone along with the parts availability of either,There's a reason now days a 455-jacuzzi is not the motor-pump combo he would want to go with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95