12jb or 12jg???
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread:
12jb or 12jg???

  1. #1
    Member jetboat ratt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mohave Valley, Az Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
    Posts
    81

    Default 12jb or 12jg???

    Any difference in performance or quality of a berkeley 12jb or 12jg bowl. trying to upgrade to a split bowl. Got a guy selling a 12jb for $300.00 Any advice or anybody have a used split-bowl laying around?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Crazy Eights Brad @ SCJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboat ratt View Post
    Any difference in performance or quality of a berkeley 12jb or 12jg bowl. trying to upgrade to a split bowl. Got a guy selling a 12jb for $300.00 Any advice or anybody have a used split-bowl laying around?
    from what ive been told its the same bowl...split bowl is a split bowl ...unless you custom split a C bowl......only difference between JB and JG is some minor differences in the suction housing...parts are interchangeable still.....performance wise, they are the same.

    if anyone wants to step in and correct me, please do. my info didnt come from a solid source.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Need4Speed77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Q.C./Big River
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboat ratt View Post
    Any difference in performance or quality of a berkeley 12jb or 12jg bowl. trying to upgrade to a split bowl. Got a guy selling a 12jb for $300.00 Any advice or anybody have a used split-bowl laying around?
    What bowl do you have now? If it is a JC then have it cut and use it. They flow better than a G or B. Or you can go to a Dominator bowl. I run a Dom and have no complaints. I am going to send it to MPD and have it detailed and stuffed for even better performance. Just my opinion.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Crazy Eights Brad @ SCJB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed77 View Post
    What bowl do you have now? If it is a JC then have it cut and use it. They flow better than a G or B.
    more useless unvalidated info from me:

    ive also been told that the flow difference is VERY minute from a C conversion to a G/B bowl. to spend the money (and even find someone to do it) isnt worth the time/money spent. its great if youre trying to shave 10ths off your 1/4 mile time, but youre not going to feel the difference in the ass of your seat. youre better off putting your money into a decent loader.

    i know the C bowl conversion was hashed out recently here on another thread. i didnt get a chance to read through it...maybe dig it up and skim through it. my info might not be the same.

    why do you want a split bowl? what are you trying to accomplish? do you really need a split bowl? unless you need a snoot (straight or droop), theres no reason for one. wedges arent absolutly needed if you have a diverter.

    $300 for a used split bowl is the going price....but i have also seen junkyard pile of shit boats on craigslist with pumps in them for $300....i picked up a complete 12jg off ebay for $250...had it reworked by tom @ JBP and hit 90mph in my last race.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Red Rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    winchester, ca
    Posts
    879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboat ratt View Post
    Any difference in performance or quality of a berkeley 12jb or 12jg bowl. trying to upgrade to a split bowl. Got a guy selling a 12jb for $300.00 Any advice or anybody have a used split-bowl laying around?
    I have one for sale in the spam section.

  8. #6
    Member jetboat ratt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mohave Valley, Az Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad @ SCJB View Post
    more useless unvalidated info from me:

    ive also been told that the flow difference is VERY minute from a C conversion to a G/B bowl. to spend the money (and even find someone to do it) isnt worth the time/money spent. its great if youre trying to shave 10ths off your 1/4 mile time, but youre not going to feel the difference in the ass of your seat. youre better off putting your money into a decent loader.

    i know the C bowl conversion was hashed out recently here on another thread. i didnt get a chance to read through it...maybe dig it up and skim through it. my info might not be the same.

    why do you want a split bowl? what are you trying to accomplish? do you really need a split bowl? unless you need a snoot (straight or droop), theres no reason for one. wedges arent absolutly needed if you have a diverter.

    $300 for a used split bowl is the going price....but i have also seen junkyard pile of shit boats on craigslist with pumps in them for $300....i picked up a complete 12jg off ebay for $250...had it reworked by tom @ JBP and hit 90mph in my last race.
    Yeah I have a jc bowl now. My pump barely sticks out the back and I want to put a droop to get the ass end of the boat out of the water. Ive been told that my boat looks too far in the water. Want to get some more Mph out of it. Thanks for all the info guys, think ill just buy that B bowl.

  9. #7
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    JB/ratt all "split bowls" "A" ,"B" and "G" are very similar although I prefer the G design when I can get my hands on one. A's and B's are the very early 60 and 70's and work OK (look carefull for cracks) Those will all facilitate "bolt ons" (droops , wedges) ,straight snoots etc Modified "C" bowls (exit hsg tail removed and flange installed) ,will do this as well . Theres also a plethera of really nice after market Split bowls like A/T Dominator and Aggressor 7's 9's and 11's and Legend ,most will be a direct bolt up to your berk , some like late AT and Legend will have some subtle design "sealing" differences , for example Dominator OD is larger and needs a different transom adaptor (if used) Energizer bowls have different bolt patterns Legend bowls have diffent exit side bolt patterns etc Bowl internal designs vary quite a bit Tom


  10. #8
    Member jetboat ratt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mohave Valley, Az Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    JB/ratt all "split bowls" "A" ,"B" and "G" are very similar although I prefer the G design when I can get my hands on one. A's and B's are the very early 60 and 70's and work OK (look carefull for cracks) Those will all facilitate "bolt ons" (droops , wedges) ,straight snoots etc Modified "C" bowls (exit hsg tail removed and flange installed) ,will do this as well . Theres also a plethera of really nice after market Split bowls like A/T Dominator and Aggressor 7's 9's and 11's and Legend ,most will be a direct bolt up to your berk , some like late AT and Legend will have some subtle design "sealing" differences , for example Dominator OD is larger and needs a different transom adaptor (if used) Energizer bowls have different bolt patterns Legend bowls have diffent exit side bolt patterns etc Bowl internal designs vary quite a bit Tom

    thanks tom, very helpful info.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95