Chevy ignition
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
Chevy ignition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default Chevy ignition

    I read in HOTBOAT that a blue grommet ford ignition box will work in place of a MSD-6 box on an MSD Pro-Billet distributer. would it work on a GM HEI dist? Has anyone done this do you know how to wire it? I've found the wiring scematics for the box and think I know how to wire it but was looking for advice before I tried it.
    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member CHEVY JET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St. Charles, IL
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Just Put The Msd In And Be Done. Why Put Ford Crap On A Chevy Any How?? That's Like Puting An Elevater In An Out House, It Just Dont Belong!!!!

  4. #3
    058
    058 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHEVY JET View Post
    Just Put The Msd In And Be Done. Why Put Ford Crap On A Chevy Any How?? That's Like Puting An Elevater In An Out House, It Just Dont Belong!!!!
    It takes Ford parts to make a Chevy run....

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmeister2002 View Post
    I read in HOTBOAT that a blue grommet ford ignition box will work in place of a MSD-6 box on an MSD Pro-Billet distributer. would it work on a GM HEI dist? Has anyone done this do you know how to wire it? I've found the wiring scematics for the box and think I know how to wire it but was looking for advice before I tried it.
    Thanks
    it can be done but why? if your going to use something besides
    the msd box, use an HEI module. I have a link somewhere
    that shows the wiring diagram if you interested.....
    BTW its not a bad idea to keep one of these HEI modules in your
    emergency tool box with a couple of wires and alligator clips
    you can have most engines running in a few minutes as long as the reluctor and pickup are still working,
    #55

  7. #5
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,160

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmeister2002 View Post
    I read in HOTBOAT that a blue grommet ford ignition box will work in place of a MSD-6 box on an MSD Pro-Billet distributer.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEVY JET View Post
    Just Put The Msd In And Be Done. Why Put Ford Crap On A Chevy Any How??
    Er, chevyjet, where do you think MSD gets their internal parts (such as the magnetic pickup coil) for their distributors? Yes, they are Ford-applicable parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmeister2002 View Post
    ...would it work on a GM HEI dist?
    dirtmeister, I don't know where GM gets their internal parts or how well they might be mated electronically (resistance, etc). Without knowing this, I don't think I would recommend it...but would instead suggest looking into a complete GM HEI system if you are so insistent on running that distributor.

    LO
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2017 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHEVY JET View Post
    Just Put The Msd In And Be Done. Why Put Ford Crap On A Chevy Any How?? That's Like Puting An Elevater In An Out House, It Just Dont Belong!!!!
    Hey a great idea chevyjet, were I come from, Missouri. we have two story outhouses didn't know there was anything else.
    Not to cause a fued but I AM A CHEVY MAN, but if the artical I read is true ( trying to find out) a ford box is sealed against moisture, better at handeling vibration and has more coil saturation than a smallar chevy module . as far as using an MSD dist and box, $17.00 for the ford box and I already have the Chevy HEI vs the cost of a MSD dist and box 3 to $400.00 differance that could go for maybe NOS? I would also bet the "ford box" isn't built by ford.

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    it can be done but why? if your going to use something besides
    the msd box, use an HEI module. I have a link somewhere
    that shows the wiring diagram if you interested.....
    BTW its not a bad idea to keep one of these HEI modules in your
    emergency tool box with a couple of wires and alligator clips
    you can have most engines running in a few minutes as long as the reluctor and pickup are still working,
    My last post exsplains why the ford module and for the hp I,m running not sure the investment in a MSD would help much for the cost. I'd be intersted if you can let me know the link I'd like to see it. Maybe I'm crazy or just like messing with something different but I think this would work. I'm new to jetboats got this one a year ago and just got it going about a month ago had HEI module troubles first time out put in a new one once I figured out the problem now am dealing with the jetting in the carb. Ran this 750 Holley on a streat car years ago with 75 jets am up to 82 jets now and starting to get it to run right and was looking at ignition for my next challange. Also did'nt take me long to figure out to fill a box of tools and parts to carry with me. I can't walk on water.
    Thanks Outlaw

  10. #8
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    I don't understand how you think an Hei isn't reliable, that's 1 or the reasons I run one, If you've lost a module or 2 somethings wrong,IMO. The other reason is I picked up a brand new unit, for under a hundred bucks. Is it the best perf. ign. on the market, no. Is it reliable yes.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  11. #9
    Senior Member moneysucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Descanso, California, United States
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    I have an HEI dist that is holding down the garage floor. I only run MSD. If a ford box is $17 I say go for it. But use tha billet Msd dist.
    Vinyl Graphics, Magnetic signs, Reg #s, Boat names, Banners, Boat decals, Etc. Please contact me Via facebook or e-mail [email protected].

  12. #10
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmeister2002 View Post
    My last post exsplains why the ford module
    the only reason I suggested NOT using the ford module is because I
    drove a ford Pickup back then and you would have to carry a module box with you so you wouldnt be walking.
    heres a couple links http://www.bronco.com/cms/node/25
    http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm



    this is for a 4 pin HEI moduleyou will need to mount it to a piece of aluminum for a heat sink.

    Moneysucker, pull that module out of the HEI and wire it for an emergency unit
    Last edited by Outlaw; 11-25-2008 at 07:19 AM.
    #55

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H20MOFO View Post
    I don't understand how you think an Hei isn't reliable, that's 1 or the reasons I run one, If you've lost a module or 2 somethings wrong,IMO. The other reason is I picked up a brand new unit, for under a hundred bucks. Is it the best perf. ign. on the market, no. Is it reliable yes.
    I didn't say its not reliable I've used them for years on the street but I've never had a street car that would turn 6 grand. I was looking for an uprade to my ignition and the ford box like the MSD is suppost to be bigger so more coil saturation and higher output at higher RPMs like an MSD box just doesn't have the multi spark at lower RPMs Was just wanting a more effective ignition than the stock module.

  14. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Thanks Outlaw for the info and links. I need to siffer a little more but think I'm onto something. Or maybe alot of wiring up in smoke? I'll see what happens and let you know.

  15. #13
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmeister2002 View Post
    I didn't say its not reliable I've used them for years on the street but I've never had a street car that would turn 6 grand. I was looking for an uprade to my ignition and the ford box like the MSD is suppost to be bigger so more coil saturation and higher output at higher RPMs like an MSD box just doesn't have the multi spark at lower RPMs Was just wanting a more effective ignition than the stock module.
    just for comparision, on a buddy's boat running a MSD system, it just died and would not restart.
    we disconnected his 6AL box and wired in the HEI module, it fired right up and ran just as good as before
    same top RPM. He ran this while MSD repaired his 6AL
    box, even hitting the NOS.

    I think you would be suprised whats inside those larger
    modules(heat sinks).

    if you try the HEI module make sure its mounted to
    at least a 3X5 piece of aluminum with sink compound.

    remember the weak link of the HEI dist is the coil not the module.
    #55

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95