I am rebuilding a '77 20' Cheetah w/ BBF 460 and Berkeley 12JC pump. I am building a 475-500 hp, 500ish lb./ft torque BBF power plant and currently painting and re-rigging the boat. I have gotten to the point of wanting to begin addressing the pump. I pulled the complete pump from the hull, including the intake. The intake fins have suffered some trauma, so I separated it from the hull to address it. I have been reading about loaders, shoes, ride plates, etc. So, naturally, now I have a quite a few questions.
Here it goes:
1) Should I just buy a 12JG split bowl now, or see how the boat performs with the 12jc one piece bowl?
2) Will my 20' Cheetah hull w/ around 500hp see benefits from a shoe and ride plate? loader?
3) I will need to have some machine work done on the intake to repair the fins. At this point, what other work or machining should be done? Being that there is both good and bad information on the inter-webs, is there a good place to read and educate myself on gaining performance and rebuilding these pumps?
4) How should I determine what impeller to run in my pump?
5) What is the best place (quality & cost effective) to buy a rebuild kit to go through my pump?
6) What other considerations do I need to make when Going through my pump?
7) Are there any special considerations when having my pump components powder coated?
Thank you all in advance for your time and help!