What makes a Hardin Marine engine any different than an Automotive engine?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread:
What makes a Hardin Marine engine any different than an Automotive engine?

  1. #1
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default What makes a Hardin Marine engine any different than an Automotive engine?

    Just a curious thought, But what makes a Hardin marine engine any different than a car or truck engine.
    Talking mainly about a 80's to 90's 454 bbc. Out of curiosity i was searching for specs on the Hardin Marine engies and cant really seem to find any thing on internals, bearing clearances, marine coatings and such.
    I did find one post, i think on here, and i think by Oldrigger, that said that Hardin Marine didnt actually build engines, but rather baught long blocks from the manufacturer and just bolted their accessories on.
    If this is the case, are there actually any differance in things like bearing clearances, from an automotive engine?
    Inquireing minds want to know!
    Last edited by holorinhal; 10-27-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: wrong section please delete

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    3,362

    Default

    Why don't you give the guys at CP Performance a call (distributor for Hardin Marine) - they'll give you straight answers.

  4. #3
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Dang it, wrong section. i meant to post it in the dyno section.

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member rick1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego Ca
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holorinhal View Post
    Just a curious thought, But what makes a Hardin marine engine any different than a car or truck engine.
    Talking mainly about a 80's to 90's 454 bbc. Out of curiosity i was searching for specs on the Hardin Marine engies and cant really seem to find any thing on internals, bearing clearances, marine coatings and such.
    I did find one post, i think on here, and i think by Oldrigger, that said that Hardin Marine didnt actually build engines, but rather baught long blocks from the manufacturer and just bolted their accessories on.
    If this is the case, are there actually any differance in things like bearing clearances, from an automotive engine?
    Inquireing minds want to know!

    I have a 454 BBC in my Schuster and asked the same question a few years back. I wish I could give you a link but I can't remember where I posted it. I probably posted it here. I do remember that I was told it's just a BBC that has been outfitted with Hardin Marine peripherals, such as my valve covers are Hardin Marine, ect. I think that's all there is to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	634601  
    Last edited by rick1964; 10-27-2014 at 08:36 PM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick1964 View Post
    I have a 454 BBC in my Schuster and asked the same question a few years back. I wish I could give you a link but I can't remember where I posted it. I probably posted it here. I do remember that I was told it's just a BBC that has been outfitted with Hardin Marine peripherals, such as my valve covers are Hardin Marine, ect. I think that's all there is to it.
    Yes, I saw your thread on it. I think that is where i saw Oldrigger, say that they just baught the long blocks and bolted stuff to it.
    Which makes me wonder it there are any diffrences in bearing clearances?

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  8. #6
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Well i guess the answer is really not much!
    I looked up the block casting numbers( 10069286) and is said to be a 90-91 Mk IV,4 bolt block.
    I poped the pan to have a peak at the inside and was pleasantly surrprised to find a pretty clean inside.
    While i was there, i decided to pull a main cap to have a look at bearing condition and decided to do a quick Plastigauge bearing check.
    The results were not what i wanted, but did tell me that there is really no differance in a stock Hardin marine engine and a regular ole truck engine.
    The main clearance measured out somewhere between .0015 and .002, which is pretty much stock automotive clearances.
    it does have a windage tray and a deep sump pan with a trap door, which i did like seeing. but thats about it. nothing special
    Last edited by holorinhal; 11-25-2014 at 10:34 AM.

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default 454

    Quote Originally Posted by holorinhal View Post
    Well i guess the answer is really not much!
    I looked up the block casting numbers( 10069286) and is said to be a 90-91 Mk IV,4 bolt block.
    I poped the pan to have a peak at the inside and was pleasantly surrprised to find a pretty clean inside.
    While i was there, i decided to pull a main cap to have a look at bearing condition and decided to do a quick Plastigauge bearing check.
    The results were not what i wanted, but did tell me that there is really no differance in a stock Hardin marine engine and a regular ole truck engine.
    The main clearance measured out somewhere between .0015 and .002, which is pretty much stock automotive clearances.
    it does have a windage tray and a deep sump pan with a trap door, which i did like seeing. but thats about it. nothing special
    Brass freeze plugs and at times a cam change other than that they are the same.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    104

    Default

    In addition to windage trays, better baffles in the front sump pans, cam changes and such, ANY lake cooled automotive style V-8 HAS to have more piston to wall clearance because of the block being colder than in an over-the-road application meaning that the bore is smaller at the colder temps. You can't use automotive clearances (for very long any way).
    Rob

  11. #9
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
    In addition to windage trays, better baffles in the front sump pans, cam changes and such, ANY lake cooled automotive style V-8 HAS to have more piston to wall clearance because of the block being colder than in an over-the-road application meaning that the bore is smaller at the colder temps. You can't use automotive clearances (for very long any way).
    Rob
    Yes it does have a windage tray and the stock looking truck pan does have a trap door in the sump.

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
    In addition to windage trays, better baffles in the front sump pans, cam changes and such, ANY lake cooled automotive style V-8 HAS to have more piston to wall clearance because of the block being colder than in an over-the-road application meaning that the bore is smaller at the colder temps. You can't use automotive clearances (for very long any way).
    Rob
    Ideally you may be correct, but I'd venture to say there are many boat engines that have run a long time with a basically stock automotive engine.

  13. #11
    Senior Member old rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post
    Ideally you may be correct, but I'd venture to say there are many boat engines that have run a long time with a basically stock automotive engine.
    You're absolutely correct, there's tens of thousands of stock auto engines pushing a pump and they'll last a lifetime if taken care of and left basically stock.

    Decades ago one of the boat mags did a test of 'stock' marine engines used in the biz. Not only were they bone stock factory engines, with the exceptions listed by others above...brass plugs, truck oil pans (maybe), the high performance engines offered were very disappointing. Mis-matched pistons, some questionable cams and so on. The only real thing that was high performance except for the stuff instantly identifiable like intake manifold and carb change was the stickers on the valve covers saying it was the 'high HP model'.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95