Another dumb new guy here...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 20

Thread:
Another dumb new guy here...

  1. #1
    Senior Member HEMETDRAGRACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    IE
    Posts
    1,149

    Default Another dumb new guy here...

    Ok... might be a really stupid ? but is there anyway to see what impeller my pump has with out a tear down??? and my next ? is what Impeller would be best suited for a 600-700 HP big block? Pump is a berkeley 12JG

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Luckie Stiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    assuming that your pump has never been apart, you can read the tag on the suction housing, it should say some shit like 12-J-G-?

    The last letter is your impeller cut when it left Berk.
    "Don't you realize that there are already enough people in the world to hate without you putting in so much effort to give me another?"

  4. #3
    Senior Member HEMETDRAGRACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    IE
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    The guy I bought it from said Jet had been gone thru, so hard to say... Ill check it out though... any other way to know?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Ken F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    557

    Default

    yep, tow it to someone with some knowlege of jets and pull the bowl.

    Ken F
    The liberals are asking us to give Obama time. We agree and think 25 to life would be appropriate.

  7. #5
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Here is my stupid question....Why does it matter? Are you building it, or maybe bought it less motor?

    Run it and find out! Just an out loud idea. Also 450+ HP should have a stainless impeller, as far as which cut, it depends on where the motor makes peak torque/HP...

    GT
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  8. #6
    Senior Member HEMETDRAGRACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    IE
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    Well, reason for asking is Im putting a heavily built 481 BBC in it, it currently has a mild 454 in it, so sounds like im gonna have to have it checked out, or dig in to it myself... The tag on the pump is marked A... can I see the impeller from the intake to see if its stainless or not? Again sorry for the dumb questions... if you wanna know how to make a heavy car run 8s in the quarter,Im the guy... boat stuff... not so much...

  9. #7
    E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newton Ks.
    Posts
    6,834

    Default

    Yes, you can see the impeller from the intake, also from the cleanout.
    On the BACK side of the impeller, is where teh letter marking it is, so can't see from in front (without a many-thousand dollar borescope LOL)
    Only way to be sure is to take the bowl off and measure a few things, because sometimes an impeller gets cut down, but not re-marked.

    Just keep in mind, Jets are very hard to spin high RPM.
    Every once in a while a guy with a "seriously built" motor, turns up to have one built that would scream in front of a 4-speed and a clutch, get's it's arse handed to it by a jet pump and big impeller.
    Try to keep as much low and midrange torque production as possible in the motor build, and it'll work great.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

    OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

  10. #8
    Senior Member HEMETDRAGRACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    IE
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLowriderSS View Post
    Yes, you can see the impeller from the intake, also from the cleanout.
    On the BACK side of the impeller, is where teh letter marking it is, so can't see from in front (without a many-thousand dollar borescope LOL)
    Only way to be sure is to take the bowl off and measure a few things, because sometimes an impeller gets cut down, but not re-marked.

    Just keep in mind, Jets are very hard to spin high RPM.
    Every once in a while a guy with a "seriously built" motor, turns up to have one built that would scream in front of a 4-speed and a clutch, get's it's arse handed to it by a jet pump and big impeller.
    Try to keep as much low and midrange torque production as possible in the motor build, and it'll work great.
    Cool... good info, thanks, the engine is 13.5-1, like I said 481, 454 .125 over, heavily ported 990 heads, big valves, .715 lift solid roller, team G, 1050 Dom, If it needs more balls I will squeeze it as I have alot of nitrous stuff... sounds like I need a ss impeller for sure then... will the Aluminum one break under more power???

  11. #9
    Senior Member carreradude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rancho Cordova. CA
    Posts
    649

    Default

    From what the experts have said in other posts, yes a SS impeller and the better shaft that can handle more power to slide it onto will be needed. Sounds like you got a nice motor that can make some ponies there.

  12. #10
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HEMETDRAGRACER View Post
    Cool... good info, thanks, the engine is 13.5-1, like I said 481, 454 .125 over, heavily ported 990 heads, big valves, .715 lift solid roller, team G, 1050 Dom, If it needs more balls I will squeeze it as I have alot of nitrous stuff... sounds like I need a ss impeller for sure then... will the Aluminum one break under more power???

    IMHO the biggest problem with an aluminum impeller under extreme conditions is the cavitation, it can literally "eat" the impeller causing it to fail, a stainless is much tougher and can handle a great deal more cavitation and torque...On a centrifugal pump, the faster you spin it the more HP it can absorb, so if it is an "A" impeller (most common) and the stocker turns it say 4800 RPM, and you put in a badass that wants to see say 6000 RPM, the "A" will still be in the hunt, but if its a stock type aluminum, you will probably peel it like an overripe banana....

    GT
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  13. #11
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Hemet as GT said , your definatley past the aluminum (450 to 500 hp) and into the bronze or stainless , Where that motor makes its 600 to 700 HP power the boat and what your going to do with it will help determine the Impeller , re "knowing what Impeller" without actually partially disassembling the jet and looking at/measuring the impeller its pretty tough . Were experimenting with a new bore scope type mini cam we just purchased should be interesting to see if we can see the backsides of the impellers Tom

  14. #12
    Senior Member HEMETDRAGRACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    IE
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    cool... thanks guys for bearing with my dumb questions... like I say this boat stuffs fairly new for me... this is my 7th or 8th boat, but the first one Im really putting serious power to...

  15. #13
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    We just picked up the Milwakee version of that badboy, cool tool for sure...I would think the cable is a bit shy though...That'd be cool!

    GT
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  16. #14
    Senior Member HEMETDRAGRACER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    IE
    Posts
    1,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Hemet as GT said , your definatley past the aluminum (450 to 500 hp) and into the bronze or stainless , Where that motor makes its 600 to 700 HP power the boat and what your going to do with it will help determine the Impeller , re "knowing what Impeller" without actually partially disassembling the jet and looking at/measuring the impeller its pretty tough . Were experimenting with a new bore scope type mini cam we just purchased should be interesting to see if we can see the backsides of the impellers Tom
    We just got a bunch of snap on bore scopes at work... hmmmm....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95