Which way should a scoop face???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 34

Thread:
Which way should a scoop face???

  1. #1
    Senior Member back2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arcadia CA
    Posts
    957

    Default Which way should a scoop face???

    Seen them go both ways...is there a reason why they would face with the opening towards the transom???

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Inland Empire-Big River
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Seen them go both ways...is there a reason why they would face with the opening towards the transom???

    Either they're loose and spin in the wind or you don't want to risk the water spray (i.e. choppy conditions). Some will bet that the air flow to carb also

    We wash our parts in gasoline,
    We drink Alcohol,
    And we go racing with Nitro-Methane!

  4. #3
    Senior Member koyota93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    206

    Default

    If you don't have a spark arrestor, it will not burn your passengers hair off in the case of a back fire. Happened to a passenger on my buddy's boat. Mine is turned back only because I don't want crap getting in their while towing and I am too lazy to flip it around when I hit the water. It a little quieter too.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member back2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arcadia CA
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koyota93 View Post
    If you don't have a spark arrestor, it will not burn your passengers hair off in the case of a back fire. Happened to a passenger on my buddy's boat. Mine is turned back only because I don't want crap getting in their while towing and I am too lazy to flip it around when I hit the water. It a little quieter too.
    Hah! The girls are already gonna hate the noise when theyre back there...the possibility of ignited hair should be interesting

  7. #5
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Forward and pray for no large wave over the bow or "rooost"

  8. #6
    Senior Member old rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Use to get you a ticket at the river if you weren't running a spark arrestor and had your scoop facing forward. I don't know if that still holds true today.

    It's a wash, we never got hassled for open containers back then.

  9. #7
    Re-member Willie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Oroville Ca./N. Hollywood Ca.
    Posts
    3,729

    Default

    ...North East...
    Last edited by Willie B; 03-03-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: ....The flow of the river changed...

  10. #8
    Senior Member back2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arcadia CA
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways
    Last edited by back2k5; 02-26-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: system tought I said c-o-c-k to mean it as "penis" when I ment it as "turn"

  11. #9
    Red Blooded American The Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    15,853

    Default

    The benefits of facing the scoop forward (tiny amounts of boost given big MPH) are usually offset by the propensity to gobble water at times not to mention noise, burned passengers, and possible stalling out.
    The best things in life aren't things!

  12. #10
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    If you have a flame arrestor inside the scoop, facing it forward will not burn your passengers in the event of a backfire. IMHO, scoops look the best when they're facing forward.

    Now in regards to the law, I know for sure in California that there is absolutely no written law that states which way your scoop should face, which means that the "five-o" cannot stop you for having a forward facing scoop nor can they write you a ticket for it because there's no law that you're breaking, therefore that eliminates the "probable cause" and the purpose of the ticket.

    Now there is some confusion in the California boating law in regards to flame arrestors. On one page of the ABCs of the California Boating Law, it states that flame arrestors are required on boats with motors that ARE NOT exposed to the atmosphere above the gunnels. Yet on another page it states that they're required PERIOD. So on that one it's anybody's guess...I'll be doing some research on that one to clarify that.

    However, I see no point in not running one. Yeah sure, they limit the air intake some, but is it really worth the risk of starting a fire, possibly someone getting hurt over it?



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  13. #11
    Senior Member carreradude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rancho Cordova. CA
    Posts
    649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  14. #12
    6TH STREET TERROR 4 HIRE -RUSSO-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    HESPERIA.
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

    Now thats funny...Or flatten the bill
    -FIX IT FASTER-
    -6TH STREET MAFIA -NOMAD-

  15. #13
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetaholic View Post
    If you have a flame arrestor inside the scoop, facing it forward will not burn your passengers in the event of a backfire. IMHO, scoops look the best when they're facing forward.

    Now in regards to the law, I know for sure in California that there is absolutely no written law that states which way your scoop should face, which means that the "five-o" cannot stop you for having a forward facing scoop nor can they write you a ticket for it because there's no law that you're breaking, therefore that eliminates the "probable cause" and the purpose of the ticket.

    Now there is some confusion in the California boating law in regards to flame arrestors. On one page of the ABCs of the California Boating Law, it states that flame arrestors are required on boats with motors that ARE NOT exposed to the atmosphere above the gunnels. Yet on another page it states that they're required PERIOD. So on that one it's anybody's guess...I'll be doing some research on that one to clarify that.

    However, I see no point in not running one. Yeah sure, they limit the air intake some, but is it really worth the risk of starting a fire, possibly someone getting hurt over it?
    Jetoholic, I have read thru coast gaurd regulations and most rules comply to enclosed motors. On the other hand I have also read thru other laws that require an arrestor regardless! I went through this while reading up on wake damage and responsibility. If the guys wake-boarding close to a gas dock with boats moored ever read this in the coast gaurd manual they would think twice about showing off. It has happened to me to many times to let it go, now and I carry a diggi-cam in my boat for that reason! The next one to swamp me and make my boat roll under a dock will have a law suit in his hands!
    Last edited by ol guy; 02-26-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: addition

  16. #14
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    I would check with boat cop on this for the REAL truth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95