need your guys opinion on cam selection !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 19

Thread:
need your guys opinion on cam selection !!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default need your guys opinion on cam selection !!

    i have a 1977 daytona elimnator with a 468 bbc it has a tunnel ram with 650s on it steel cast heads rectangler port heads 110cc 10:1 compression flat tops motor spins at 5000 rpms i want to pull out the solid cam and go roller i had with all the idling and going threw no wake zones you have to watch your center line since i run wet headers so i was lookinga t some choices not sure to hyd roller or mechanical like to know what you guys think ? oh and in the futer i wil be going to alluminim heads as well here a few choices i was thinking of chime in and let me know your thoughts just bought this boat last year and love it !!!The hyd roller you can order a CL120665-12 this is a cam and lifter kit cost 741.23
    For a mech roller 120043-10 680/663 lift 253/259 duration @ .050 l/c 110 cost 331.42 and lifter 91135 cost 642.00


    Howards Cams Steel Billet Mechanical Roller Camshafts 120043-10 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing..................... Howards Cams, Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft & Lifter Kit, Chev BB, 243/249 @ .050, .640/.640, 110 LS - Competition Products ......................... this one is fron lunati and they would do a custom grinds Hyd $285.08 Lifters 72431-16 $782.76231/239
    600/600
    113 lsa
    110 icl



    Solid $335.30 Lifter 72405-16 $381.00
    231/237
    629/639
    113 LSa
    110 ICL
    Last edited by duty; 01-13-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member hihosilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    bullhead city
    Posts
    500

    Default

    mines a crower solid roller around .600 lift 252 - 262 dur if I remember right it idles at 1000 very smoothly easy start and i'm running about 5200 single 850
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #3
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    If you were to do the cam and heads at the same time, you would only have to buy one set of pushrods.

    Also, you should be aware that the impeller needs to match the power curve of the engine, so just changing the cam may not give you much of an rpm increase. Due to that fact, you may be better off consulting a pump specialist prior to doing anything else with the engine, it's possible cutting down the impeller may give you more speed with your current combination, or if not, certainly you will want to get it cut if you put in a larger cam and plan to turn more rpm.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    mines a crower solid roller around .600 lift 252 - 262 dur if I remember right it idles at 1000 very smoothly easy start and i'm running about 5200 single 850
    thank you
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    If you were to do the cam and heads at the same time, you would only have to buy one set of pushrods.

    Also, you should be aware that the impeller needs to match the power curve of the engine, so just changing the cam may not give you much of an rpm increase. Due to that fact, you may be better off consulting a pump specialist prior to doing anything else with the engine, it's possible cutting down the impeller may give you more speed with your current combination, or if not, certainly you will want to get it cut if you put in a larger cam and plan to turn more rpm.
    shit i forgot i have to change push rods lol i know the impeller is a/b stainless hmmmmm you have a good point
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #6
    Senior Member poncho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass/Bering Sea
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    If you were to do the cam and heads at the same time, you would only have to buy one set of pushrods.

    Also, you should be aware that the impeller needs to match the power curve of the engine, so just changing the cam may not give you much of an rpm increase. Due to that fact, you may be better off consulting a pump specialist prior to doing anything else with the engine, it's possible cutting down the impeller may give you more speed with your current combination, or if not, certainly you will want to get it cut if you put in a larger cam and plan to turn more rpm.

    I had a few jets back in the day with similar combo's and they ran a bunch better than that, Obnoxious is pointing you in the right direction.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #7
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    if it's a bbc era 1977 you probably have a good enough set of heads. without knowing casting numbers it's a tough call. Spinning a stainless impeller eats RPM but worth it. Now back a bit. When you changed the cam to a solid roller did you change the valve springs also.You are right if you want a smooth idle go with a wide LSA. I would recommend about 114* Lift @ +580-.duration @ 238-242 @ .050. I have ran a solid roller with 9.5 compression GOOD SPRINGS ,577 lift and .248-.248 duration on a 109* lobe center and idled at 1k with alittle lope but not bad.But The big question is what do you expect out the boat And what is it?Mark
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #8
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duty View Post
    shit i forgot i have to change push rods lol i know the impeller is a/b stainless hmmmmm you have a good point
    And valve springs need replacing for a solid roller, may get by with the same springs for a hydraulic roller, but important to pull at least one spring and check pressure at installed and full open heights.

    Quote Originally Posted by poncho View Post
    I had a few jets back in the day with similar combo's and they ran a bunch better than that, Obnoxious is pointing you in the right direction.
    A few years back I built a single carb, 9.6-1 compression engine that made 617 HP on the dyno. I had told the owner while the engine was built that he would need pump work. He went ahead and tried it with the stock impeller and could only turn the A around 5000 or so RPM. He did go on to have the pump done later. He was excited about the power with the stock impeller, but having the pump done brought the engine to life!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    if it's a bbc era 1977 you probably have a good enough set of heads. without knowing casting numbers it's a tough call. Spinning a stainless impeller eats RPM but worth it. Now back a bit. When you changed the cam to a solid roller did you change the valve springs also.You are right if you want a smooth idle go with a wide LSA. I would recommend about 114* Lift @ +580-.duration @ 238-242 @ .050. I have ran a solid roller with 9.5 compression GOOD SPRINGS ,577 lift and .248-.248 duration on a 109* lobe center and idled at 1k with alittle lope but not bad.But The big question is what do you expect out the boat And what is it?Mark
    i know the boat can run better all around speed and making h/p i know the cam is wrong in the boat ! so i guess i want to build a good runing engine with h/p and then ill have to redo the impeller i know the motor is fresh in the boat i bought so i wan tto make it right and if you mean by what is the boat its 1977 DAYTONA ELIMNATOR
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #11
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default

    ok little update wanted your guys thoughts as well on set of heads like i said i want rectangler port heads alluminum because i am running my edlebrock tunnel ram set with 650s but i want to stick 110cc heads so i keep my 10;1 compression and run pump gas i was think about the edlebrock marine heads or mbey someone said to try the victor 24 degree heads are good as well ...
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #13
    Senior Member poncho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass/Bering Sea
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Duty, I cant help but think you are headed into the spend a bunch, gain little territory. Like I said earlier your combo should be doing better as it sits. There are some really good guys on here that have probably seen this post and know whats up.

    If your willing to drop several thousand on heads and cam because you think it will work then you should be willing to spend the same time and money making sure your foundation is sound first.

    I can't specifically recommend anyone here but I would try to find someone willing to work with you.

    You have a nice boat.
    Last edited by poncho; 01-20-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poncho View Post
    duty, i cant help but think you are headed into the spend a bunch, gain little territory. Like i said earlier your combo should be doing better as it sits. There are some really good guys on here that have probably seen this post and know whats up.

    If your willing to drop several thousand on heads and cam because you think it will work then you should be willing to spend the same time and money making sure your foundation is sound first.

    I can't specifically recommend anyone here but i would try to find someone willing to work with you.

    You have a nice boat.)thumbsup
    thanx !
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95