Wear ring question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
Wear ring question

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default Wear ring question

    Im sure this is a stupid question(s). But i wanted to run it by you guys.


    Currently, i have an "undersize" Ultimate wear ring in my boat. Its .010 undersize. When i measured my old impeller it came out to 7.220 and Duane recommended a .010 undersize and never run it on the trailer.


    Now i have a brand new impeller from American Turbine. It is "standard" size. Should i change to a "standard" size wear ring? Or will the .010 be fine just a little tighter? I'm only asking because the boats not here, and i cant measure the clearances until i go up to needles.


    If i need to change to a standard, that is fine but if the one i have can be used since its pretty much new and in great shape that would be preferred. I mainly use the boat at the river so it should be fairly clean water.


    Thank you

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member jetjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Diamond Bar, Big River
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    interesting querry. I'm Curious too.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Few more questions

    Stick with the "ultimate wear ring"? My Pros are its easy to install, just need to shim the front for clearance. Con is i have to drop the driveline everytime i want to run it on the trailer


    Or
    go with a Conventional wear ring?


    conventional? Shouldered? The cost ends up being close to the same no matter which way i go. Is there really a point in going shouldered? Or will the normal old wear ring be fine?


    Or just stick with a UWR?


    To many options.

    If it matters, the plan is to pull the pump at the end of this year and have it blueprinted/professionally built by B1

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Fonz69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Frozen Tundra, WI
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Stick with uwr and get a jetaway if you want to run it on the trailer. Check and see what Duane recommends on using the .010 under one you have.

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    546

    Default

    I would check with Duane at hi tech for his opinion as he is the maker of the wear ring as see what tolerance/clearance it will withstand. the stock measurement on the impeller should be 7.225 with a stock clearance of .025 to .035. my call would be to either replace the wear ring to a standard or cut the new impeller .010 on the skirt to be at the same clearance.

  8. #6
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steves86ta View Post
    Im sure this is a stupid question(s). But i wanted to run it by you guys.


    Currently, i have an "undersize" Ultimate wear ring in my boat. Its .010 undersize. When i measured my old impeller it came out to 7.220 and Duane recommended a .010 undersize and never run it on the trailer.


    Now i have a brand new impeller from American Turbine. It is "standard" size. Should i change to a "standard" size wear ring? Or will the .010 be fine just a little tighter? I'm only asking because the boats not here, and i cant measure the clearances until i go up to needles.


    If i need to change to a standard, that is fine but if the one i have can be used since its pretty much new and in great shape that would be preferred. I mainly use the boat at the river so it should be fairly clean water.


    Thank you
    The thickness in or inner ID measurment of your installed "undersize" Ultimate wear ring over standard (7.250) should be measure approx 7.240 versus a new impeller which should be 7.225 that combination should net you total impeller to wear ring clearance of approx .015 or (.0075 radial ) versus standard clearance of .025 (.0125) , at any point in the radial clearance) in perfect conditions , this is also assuming you have "0" runout or wear in the pump shaft shaft or impeller skirt, or worn bearings , bushings etc

  9. #7
    Senior Member DuaneHTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    If the wear ring has just a little wear on it already, I'd go ahead and use it. If it looks perfectly brand new, I'd either go with a standard W/R or true the impeller .005"-.010".

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I ended up ordering a std stainless wear ring. I figure ill put it in, then when it comes time for an undersize one ill already have one.

  11. #9
    Senior Member namba860's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    955

    Default

    Good choice

  12. #10
    Senior Member jetjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Diamond Bar, Big River
    Posts
    1,145

    Default curious

    curious as to what had you chose to go s.s. instead of another uwr? avail., price., quality?

  13. #11
    Senior Member tigertooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    877

    Default

    I would have run it. I consistantly put .010 under wear rings on new builds. Only when the shafts bent or impellor is loose on the shaft that its a problem.

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetjunky View Post
    curious as to what had you chose to go s.s. instead of another uwr? avail., price., quality?
    Couple of reasons.

    I dont want to pull the transom plates i made, or the suction housing. I dont know if i could get to that side of the impeller to measure front clearance with a UWR with a new impeller.

    And it was 99.99 from cpperformance.

    Lastly. I know its not recommended, but i can run it on the trailer with the stainless wear ring. The UWR no way

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigertooth View Post
    I would have run it. I consistantly put .010 under wear rings on new builds. Only when the shafts bent or impellor is loose on the shaft that its a problem.

    Thank you for the input, ill hold onto it incase i need it in the future

  16. #14
    Senior Member Fonz69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Frozen Tundra, WI
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steves86ta View Post
    Couple of reasons.

    I dont want to pull the transom plates i made, or the suction housing. I dont know if i could get to that side of the impeller to measure front clearance with a UWR with a new impeller.

    And it was 99.99 from cpperformance.

    Lastly. I know its not recommended, but i can run it on the trailer with the stainless wear ring. The UWR no way
    Running on the trailer is a nono with any type wear ring

    Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95