460 intake question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 22

Thread:
460 intake question

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default 460 intake question

    First of all im a Chevy guy, and ive honestly never really messed with anything this stock before. MY brother in law bought a 78 Challenger with a bone stock 460 even still has the iron intake and points.

    I Rebuilt my brother in laws carb. And its a good thing i did. Jetting was way off, and had dirt in it (80 primary 68 secondary)


    Put it back on and it runs okay but has a massive vacuum leak from this super thick gasket on the manifold that i had to re-use. I tried using just a normal base gasket but it wasnt enough for the fuel line to clear the intake


    Its one of these



    a
    Can i just replace it with a 1" spacer to get the clearance i need? The intake is the stock ford one like this one





    To be honest, even with the thick gasket, the fuel line still hits the runner and is a pain in the ass. I think a spacer would work better if i can use one on this intake?
    Last edited by steves86ta; 08-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    spend a buck, pick-up a performer aluminum manifold and problem solved! Not to mention the performance you will pick-up. MLAO

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    586

    Default

    It used to have a 1inch EGR cooler spacer under the carb, that is why things are out of whack. Either find a spacer that will work or replace the intake like suggested above.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    spend a buck, pick-up a performer aluminum manifold and problem solved! Not to mention the performance you will pick-up. MLAO
    Honestly... I would if it was my boat.

    I think hes just goign to sell it after labor day and pick something else up. Rather have a chevy anyways

  7. #5
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steves86ta View Post
    Honestly... I would if it was my boat.

    I think hes just goign to sell it after labor day and pick something else up. Rather have a chevy anyways
    That being the case put a 1 inch spacer in and gasket it accordingly. I have ran fords alot and they are under estimated but if he likes the boat it would be cheaper to work with it than dump it to buy something with a chevy in it simply because you are going to dump money into either one any way!

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    That being the case put a 1 inch spacer in and gasket it accordingly. I have ran fords alot and they are under estimated but if he likes the boat it would be cheaper to work with it than dump it to buy something with a chevy in it simply because you are going to dump money into either one any way!
    agreed, hes not "loving" the boat yet. I think he just needs some seat time.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    I think if yours is like the one in the pic you'll need at least a sheet metal plate between gaskets to block the heat riser passage from the carb. Couldn't you just bend the fuel line to clear? Also for the price of a new spacer longer carb studs and two gaskets you might pick up a used alum intake...

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southwind74 View Post
    I think if yours is like the one in the pic you'll need at least a sheet metal plate between gaskets to block the heat riser passage from the carb. Couldn't you just bend the fuel line to clear? Also for the price of a new spacer longer carb studs and two gaskets you might pick up a used alum intake...
    Got it handled last night. Went to pepboys and they had a spacer for 24.99 came with the studs, nuts, gaskets. Even though i used two gaskets i already had. Theres didnt seem to great

    Doesnt seem to leak, checked it wiht some brake kleen.

  11. #9
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steves86ta View Post
    Got it handled last night. Went to pepboys and they had a spacer for 24.99 came with the studs, nuts, gaskets. Even though i used two gaskets i already had. Theres didnt seem to great

    Doesnt seem to leak, checked it wiht some brake kleen.
    Cool deal! Maybe he will start liking the boat and do it right! M

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Cool deal! Maybe he will start liking the boat and do it right! M
    Yeah thats my goal. Boat does do a few things weird. Liek pull to the right. havent figured that out yet

    Has a full droop. Think thats not helping things

    Thinking if he keeps it, throwing a decent intake and a mild cam in it. Should be perfect for him

  13. #11
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steves86ta View Post
    Yeah thats my goal. Boat does do a few things weird. Liek pull to the right. havent figured that out yet

    Has a full droop. Think thats not helping things

    Thinking if he keeps it, throwing a decent intake and a mild cam in it. Should be perfect for him
    With all that said, check the intake grate, check the droop,check the play in the steering and if it has any plates, check them. Last resort would be check the bottom for straight from side to side. My first thought is droop and second would be sloppy steering. Something is pulling it to the right and just think that how the water comes out of the pump. Might be a good idea also to run the boat with-out the droop 1 time If the rest listed prior doesn't help. MLAOP.

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    With all that said, check the intake grate, check the droop,check the play in the steering and if it has any plates, check them. Last resort would be check the bottom for straight from side to side. My first thought is droop and second would be sloppy steering. Something is pulling it to the right and just think that how the water comes out of the pump. Might be a good idea also to run the boat with-out the droop 1 time If the rest listed prior doesn't help. MLAOP.
    Thanks thats kind of my plan of attack.

    The steering on this boat is VERY light. Especially compared to mine. I did notice today before work that the steering tube nut was a little loose. Ill double check that and probably tighten it up a bit.

    The diverter looks brand new, but im going to double check all of the pins/bolts. Also verify the seals are in good shape.

    Ive crawled under neath it, and the bottom looks to be in very good shape. Dont think its ever been beached.

    Does have a rock grate, again looks like new.

    I was planning on running the boat without the droop and see if there is any improvement.

    No Ride plates or trim plates.

    Its a Dominator with an A impeller. Bone stock. Full PD Droop and a hydraulic diverter. The thing porpoises like mad with what appears to be any kind of up nozzle.

    Thinking that it doesn't have the power to carry the bow. And the lift the droop makes mixed with the lift the diverter makes, causes the boat to "fall off" if im explaining that correctly. Though, i also feel it might be much improved next time out now that i got the carburetor squared away.

    heres what the pump looks like.


  15. #13
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steves86ta View Post
    Thanks thats kind of my plan of attack.

    The steering on this boat is VERY light. Especially compared to mine. I did notice today before work that the steering tube nut was a little loose. Ill double check that and probably tighten it up a bit.

    The diverter looks brand new, but im going to double check all of the pins/bolts. Also verify the seals are in good shape.

    Ive crawled under neath it, and the bottom looks to be in very good shape. Dont think its ever been beached.

    Does have a rock grate, again looks like new.

    I was planning on running the boat without the droop and see if there is any improvement.

    No Ride plates or trim plates.

    Its a Dominator with an A impeller. Bone stock. Full PD Droop and a hydraulic diverter. The thing porpoises like mad with what appears to be any kind of up nozzle.

    Thinking that it doesn't have the power to carry the bow. And the lift the droop makes mixed with the lift the diverter makes, causes the boat to "fall off" if im explaining that correctly. Though, i also feel it might be much improved next time out now that i got the carburetor squared away.

    heres what the pump looks like.

    I well understand what you are talking about and it is VERY common. Alot of people think that a diverter and droop are going to carry the bow and think that all proplems are solved! WRONG It takes H/P to get it up and keep it up. You may have helped the problem with the tune, but some times it takes alittle understanding of how to use the diverter correctly. From the picture you show that pump has a butt load of up and I would Imagine the operator stays on the up button trying to go faster! Thus creating or making a bad problem worse. It is a basic trim tab and to much is just that TO MUCH!!!! If you come down on the button The hoppity hope will go away and the boat will go faster. MLAO M

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I agree. We bought it this way just trying to iron out the bugs. My boat has both and it uses both well but I have quite a bit more hp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95