new member
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 30

Thread:
new member

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jetboat Jared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    independence oregon
    Posts
    116

    Red face new member

    hi im new to the forum got told this is a better place to be if your on he west coast so i joined up. i got a 1978 tahiti with a berkeley 12jc panther logs, and a 427 bbc talldeck that i plan to mill down to std next winter.









    i know its not that nice the only thing i will probably do for a while to it is build the motor. its hard to fund a jet boat project and go to high school lol so i will probably be on here alot asking dumb questions.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    No Sandbar To Far sanger rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Default

    Why would you want to mill the block down? You are ahead of the game with a tall deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Year View Post
    The only blab's I will even be a part of is just when it is me they are talking about. Aaaah yes I can see a few good looking shiny tall deck motors on the beach, with barely enough fuel to get back to the launch saying, "Holy crap how fast you think that Daytona was going man? That's like the 20th time he's gone by today?"

  4. #3
    Senior Member Jetboat Jared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    independence oregon
    Posts
    116

    Default

    did i miss somthing about the tall decks? i thought they wherent as good as the std deck because they are low comperesion

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboat Jared View Post
    did i miss somthing about the tall decks? i thought they wherent as good as the std deck because they are low comperesion

    Compression is a piston thing, not a block thing, build the tall deck, it can be mean as hell May cost a tad more though.

    GT
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  7. #5
    Senior Member Jetboat Jared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    independence oregon
    Posts
    116

    Default

    so like put long rods and stuff like that in it ok i get ya

  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Welcome to the site. My high school projects were the most fun. Read a lot and keep the tall deck.

  9. #7
    old HB member. 4604me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    oxnard ca.
    Posts
    71

    Default

    welcome to the boards, talldeck and dumb questions, sounds familiar.
    just a half turn before it breaks.

  10. #8
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4604me View Post
    welcome to the boards, talldeck and dumb questions, sounds familiar.










    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  11. #9
    Senior Member LuckyDaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tacoma Wa
    Posts
    1,409

    Default

    Damn, wish I had a boat in highschool! Welcome to the site, congrats on the purchase. Build that tall block for sure!

  12. #10
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Welcome to PB and to Jet boats Tom

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Douglas, MA
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    pshh...don't listen to these guys...that tall block is worthless and the govt. will charge you a lot to keep it...

    put it on a crate and mail it to my home address...


  14. #12
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4604me View Post
    welcome to the boards, talldeck and dumb questions, sounds familiar.
    High school too. Well was at the time when I bought mine lol



    Welcome to the site.KEEP THE TALL DECK!!!!!!!! If you find a few grand laying around, you can turn that thing into a bad ass 496 stroker. Bore it over .060" to 4.310" bore, put in a new 4.250" crank, 6.535" long rods, and new pistons with a compression height of 1.520" is one combination that would really wake that thing up. But to do it right you'd need to upgrade the top end as well, and that get's expensive quick!!!!

    You're further along than I was when I bought my boat, mine came without an engine, and with an interior that the mice had a field day with. But it did come with a few extra jet pumps that i parted out to fund the project.

    Good luck to ya and don't try to do anything too crazy, just have fun with what ya got. Oh and listen to these guys, most of them know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 04-15-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Jetboat Jared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    independence oregon
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    High school too. Well was at the time when I bought mine lol



    Welcome to the site.KEEP THE TALL DECK!!!!!!!! If you find a few grand laying around, you can turn that thing into a bad ass 496 stroker. Bore it over .060" to 4.310" bore, put in a new 4.250" crank, 6.535" long rods, and new pistons with a compression height of 1.520" is one combination that would really wake that thing up. But to do it right you'd need to upgrade the top end as well, and that get's expensive quick!!!!

    You're further along than I was when I bought my boat, mine came without an engine, and with an interior that the mice had a field day with. But it did come with a few extra jet pumps that i parted out to fund the project.

    Good luck to ya and don't try to do anything too crazy, just have fun with what ya got. Oh and listen to these guys, most of them know what they're talking about.

    ya the only reason i actualy bought the boat was because my friends dad had a dump truck that had a freshly rebuilt 427 engine in it so i thought it was a good deal all i had to do was drop the engine in.

  16. #14
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboat Jared View Post
    ya the only reason i actualy bought the boat was because my friends dad had a dump truck that had a freshly rebuilt 427 engine in it so i thought it was a good deal all i had to do was drop the engine in.
    There is nothing wrong with these engines, they're not the fastest out there in the stock condition, but they will do fine. They're pretty thick and beefy so you can go almost any direction with them, when you have the money. Do you know if it has the large oval port heads or the little peanut port heads?

    Does it run?? Have you had it out on the water yet??
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95