Got Data Acquisition?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 53

Thread:
Got Data Acquisition?

  1. #1
    Thrust Whisperer Doc Nozzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    88

    Default Got Data Acquisition?

    I have a favor to ask of anyone running Quikdata on their jetpump. Would you be OK sharing any of your data files with me? I know this is a sensitive question but hereís how this could work:

    First, you could trust me totally and just give me your file regardless Ė that would be great!

    Second, donít give me any actual race data Ė maybe you have a file you collected while just cruising around and not actually racing.

    Third, you can sanitize your data and edit out the stuff you consider sensitive. I can give you specific step-by-step instructions on how to do this if you need help prepping the data. I wouldnít see your actual data until after you had edited out the sensitive stuff.

    My minimum goal is to get some additional bowl pressure vs. rpm data for a variety of impeller cuts. Of course it would be nice to also look at intake pressure and nozz pressure too, but I understand if you arenít comfortable sharing this. And I actually donít care about hull speed or ET stuff. Iím just a nerd after some flow/pressure data!

    Iím not trying to steal competitive secrets from you. I only want to learn whether there is consistency in results for the same impeller cut/nozz choke ratio or if this data is all over the map.

    I appreciate any help you can provide. If you are willing, then either PM me or send an email to: [email protected]



    Thank you for your consideration!





  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Steve,
    just curious, what do you do up there in West Linn OR?
    #55

  4. #3
    Thrust Whisperer Doc Nozzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Steve,
    just curious, what do you do up there in West Linn OR?
    Doh! Outed already... That didn't last long!

    Congrats Outlaw! Nice.

    Do you really want to know or are you just sandbaggin me?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    Senior Member cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nozzle View Post
    I have a favor to ask of anyone running Quikdata on their jetpump. Would you be OK sharing any of your data files with me? I know this is a sensitive question but hereís how this could work:

    First, you could trust me totally and just give me your file regardless Ė that would be great!

    Second, donít give me any actual race data Ė maybe you have a file you collected while just cruising around and not actually racing.

    Third, you can sanitize your data and edit out the stuff you consider sensitive. I can give you specific step-by-step instructions on how to do this if you need help prepping the data. I wouldnít see your actual data until after you had edited out the sensitive stuff.

    My minimum goal is to get some additional bowl pressure vs. rpm data for a variety of impeller cuts. Of course it would be nice to also look at intake pressure and nozz pressure too, but I understand if you arenít comfortable sharing this. And I actually donít care about hull speed or ET stuff. Iím just a nerd after some flow/pressure data!

    Iím not trying to steal competitive secrets from you. I only want to learn whether there is consistency in results for the same impeller cut/nozz choke ratio or if this data is all over the map.

    I appreciate any help you can provide. If you are willing, then either PM me or send an email to: [email protected]



    Thank you for your consideration!



    that's going to be all over the map from boat to boat

  7. #5
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nozzle View Post
    Doh! Outed already... That didn't last long!

    Congrats Outlaw! Nice.

    Do you really want to know or are you just sandbaggin me?
    Just Focking with ya a little.
    #55

  8. #6
    Thrust Whisperer Doc Nozzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    that's going to be all over the map from boat to boat
    Yes you are probably right. Looks like I will end up with some files as they trickle in, so it will be fun to mash the data into a summary form and see whether a particular cut impeller at the same rpm on different boats with different downstream hardware sees subtle or radical changes in backpressure. Different choke ring sizes should show up but beyond that I don't really know.

    So for the sake of dialog - how do you know the bowl pressures will be all over the map? Thanks!

  9. #7
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nozzle View Post
    Doh! Outed already... That didn't last long!

    Congrats Outlaw! Nice.

    Do you really want to know or are you just sandbaggin me?
    hell, i wanna know now. lotta time on your hands and you know how to choke a nozzle, my guess is fluffer j/k doc

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  10. #8
    Thrust Whisperer Doc Nozzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Just Focking with ya a little.
    Glad I'm not a closet gay trying to hide my secret from you!!

    Probably the f-in domain registration, huh?

  11. #9
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nozzle View Post
    Glad I'm not a closet gay trying to hide my secret from you!!

    Probably the f-in domain registration, huh?
    http://www.whois.net/

    BTW I plan on collecting a upper (11 O'clock) and a lower ( 5 O'clock)
    suction pressure along with a pitot pressure and RPM using a PLC
    that you're welcome to analyze
    #55

  12. #10
    Thrust Whisperer Doc Nozzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    http://www.whois.net/

    BTW I plan on collecting a upper (11 O'clock) and a lower ( 5 O'clock)
    suction pressure along with a pitot pressure and RPM using a PLC
    that you're welcome to analyze
    Yeah that's where I go whenever there's a weird guy posting tech papers!

    Thanks for the data offer. I'm a data whore. Where's the pitot going be hanging - hull speed or nozz?

  13. #11
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,873

    Default

    I'm interested in inlet/bowl/nozzle pressures as compared to fwd speed.

    Send me the PLC setup ad I'll get some data in about a month. You using a Fanuc, Allen Bradley or a simple 4 or 5 IO deal?

    I'm fascinated at how to apply what is measured to actual practice.

    The opposition to thrust will be drag. But ... i'm curious how thrust will be affected by the increase in fwd speed. And... (this is where I say something incredibly stupid) I'd be willing to bet the brick wall on a jet pump is that the maximum volume pumped through is reached very early and it is not increased directly proportional to fwd speed. In order to maintain the acceleration rate.

  14. #12
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    thats a good idea checking nozzle speed,
    we have a direct logic 250 PLC
    #55

  15. #13
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    that's going to be all over the map from boat to boat
    I'm guessing there will be a trend. There almost always is.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  16. #14
    Senior Member cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post
    I'm guessing there will be a trend. There almost always is.

    S CP
    lots of variables could skew something like deriving a correlation between bowl pressure, nozzle insert diameter, and impeller cut.

    bowl pressure can be affected by the water conditions affecting the inlet pressure during a specific run.

    now if you're looking at low speed testing then yeah you could probably find a decent correlation at 3,000, 4000, 5000 rpm rpm levels.

    and then there's the question of what you're looking for?

    peak bowl presure during a specific run? its easy to get a false reading when the pump unloads?

    a median or mean of the bowl pressure throughout the run? that might be more realistic.

    I"ll say this: to me, the important aspect of looking at bowl pressure using data acquisition has always been to see how quickly it rises as soon as i mash the gas, and how well i can how i can maintain it throughout the run once it reaches peak pressure.


    of course, this is from a drag racers perspective.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95