Programmable 6AL 2 help
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
Programmable 6AL 2 help

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    619
    Posts
    595

    Default Programmable 6AL 2 help

    Need to get some help with this ,some direction on how to set this up then I can play with it on the water, thanks.
    Slinging Lead on and off the water for over 40 YRS

    82 18' Crusader Tunnel SOLD ,
    00 23' Mako 232 fish killer,SOLD
    78 19' Eliminator Daytona SOLD
    16 19' Predator/Cheyenne

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    149 BGJ-Willis Power 540 willis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gardena, CA
    Posts
    522

    Default Programmable Mapping

    Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger View Post
    Need to get some help with this ,some direction on how to set this up then I can play with it on the water, thanks.
    May 13, 2017
    Hello People
    Slinger
    What are you trying to control

    Willis

    149 BGJ 156.74 MPH @ 1000'

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    619
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willis View Post
    May 13, 2017
    Hello People
    Slinger
    What are you trying to control

    Willis
    Timing at different rpms, I always have had the 6al plug and go but this one is a bit different trying to get the most out of the motor wanting to know a starting point on rpms and maybe someone has a setting that they use.
    Slinging Lead on and off the water for over 40 YRS

    82 18' Crusader Tunnel SOLD ,
    00 23' Mako 232 fish killer,SOLD
    78 19' Eliminator Daytona SOLD
    16 19' Predator/Cheyenne

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,570

    Default

    are you using msd digital graphview? we run digital 7s, so not quite sure about the differences with a programmable 6al

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    619
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    are you using msd digital graphview? we run digital 7s, so not quite sure about the differences with a programmable 6al
    just running the 6al 2 right out of the box no fancy mojo if this doesnt work its back to the 6al and Ill have to like it.
    Slinging Lead on and off the water for over 40 YRS

    82 18' Crusader Tunnel SOLD ,
    00 23' Mako 232 fish killer,SOLD
    78 19' Eliminator Daytona SOLD
    16 19' Predator/Cheyenne

  8. #6
    149 BGJ-Willis Power 540 willis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gardena, CA
    Posts
    522

    Default 7 Programmable MSD

    Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger View Post
    just running the 6al 2 right out of the box no fancy mojo if this doesnt work its back to the 6al and Ill have to like it.
    May 14, 2017
    Hello People
    Slinger
    You have determine that the goal is to take out timing during the run. That's simple use the "Run retard Curve graph" plot the curve .
    Take me; I need to control the rpm on launch so the “boat will hookup the best”.
    Most users who have these type of boxes are trying to control something or add something based on time or rpm’s for a desired result.
    Some users used the time feature to run a launch skew:
    Say 4500 for 1second then max for 5 seconds down range, then back down to 5000 to slow down. At the same time in that 6 seconds of control they also may have a pulse sent to a solenoid for NOS to engage for a period of time in those 6 seconds

    You need to decide at what rpm to start and at what rpm how much to pull out. Just add a dot at those points. Save to PC call it something.
    Hook to the MSD follow instruction to send file to MSD.

    Hope this is a start for you

    Willis


    Last edited by willis; 05-14-2017 at 10:57 AM.

    149 BGJ 156.74 MPH @ 1000'

  9. #7
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger View Post
    just running the 6al 2 right out of the box no fancy mojo if this doesnt work its back to the 6al and Ill have to like it.
    fancy mojo? it's programmable, how is that fancy? not sure what you were expecting but it won't program itself. do you have the software downloaded to a laptop? do you have a 9pin serial port to usb cable? just power up the 6al2, connect the cable, open the msd software. the software is pretty easy to negotiate. if nothing else, you'll need to do that to get the rev limiter set where you want it.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    619
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    fancy mojo? it's programmable, how is that fancy? not sure what you were expecting but it won't program itself. do you have the software downloaded to a laptop? do you have a 9pin serial port to usb cable? just power up the 6al2, connect the cable, open the msd software. the software is pretty easy to negotiate. if nothing else, you'll need to do that to get the rev limiter set where you want it.
    Well cool that settles that,,, just running it out of the box no ATOMIC /BLACK POWER GRID/ or all the other MSD add ons they offer Thats what I was referring to NO Fancy crap And what I was expecting was the President of MSD to personally hook this up for me and set it so it would shoot roost everywhere while my eye lids are peeled back drinking a cold one,But that doesnt look like thats going to happen
    Last edited by leadslinger; 05-15-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Slinging Lead on and off the water for over 40 YRS

    82 18' Crusader Tunnel SOLD ,
    00 23' Mako 232 fish killer,SOLD
    78 19' Eliminator Daytona SOLD
    16 19' Predator/Cheyenne

  11. #9
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger View Post
    Well cool that settles that,,, just running it out of the box no ATOMIC /BLACK POWER GRID/ or all the other MSD add ons they offer Thats what I was referring to NO Fancy crap And what I was expecting was the President of MSD to personally hook this up for me and set it so it would shoot roost everywhere while my eye lids are peeled back drinking a cold one,But that doesnt look like thats going to happen
    not sure what any of this has to do with the first question you asked. whether it's the 6al2, digital 7, grid, they all need to be programmed? not sure what you meant by "play with it on the water", unless you are carrying your laptop on the boat??

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95