CP19 Build Help Needed, Outboard to JET
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
CP19 Build Help Needed, Outboard to JET

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lakeside, CA.
    Posts
    9

    Default CP19 Build Help Needed, Outboard to JET

    Hey All. I just recently bought a 1999 California Performance 19. This boat was an outboard. I am cutting out the floor in the engine area now.
    My plans are to build it into a nice lake/river boat. Its standard layup with the double thick transom. Engine horsepower currently will be 575-600 Aluminum headed BBC.

    I am going to take it and have the intake and pump opening cutout. Have the intake set. I will also have a BBC Rail kit installed.

    1. Can someone get me their engine bay opening size from the transom forward? I am going to rough cut it open. I will finish it off when i get it back.

    2. Intake location. Most people recommend a standard location for the intake since the gullwing creates a lot of lift. Any thoughts?

    3. Recommendations for Powder Coating and Gel Coating work in the San Diego area. Have a few holes need to fill in the transom and transom top area. Its a dark blue fade.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Darrell

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lakeside, CA.
    Posts
    9

    Default Pic

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP19.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	992177

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, Calif.
    Posts
    1,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manja View Post
    Hey All. I just recently bought a 1999 California Performance 19. This boat was an outboard. I am cutting out the floor in the engine area now.
    My plans are to build it into a nice lake/river boat. Its standard layup with the double thick transom. Engine horsepower currently will be 575-600 Aluminum headed BBC.

    I am going to take it and have the intake and pump opening cutout. Have the intake set. I will also have a BBC Rail kit installed.

    1. Can someone get me their engine bay opening size from the transom forward? I am going to rough cut it open. I will finish it off when i get it back.

    2. Intake location. Most people recommend a standard location for the intake since the gullwing creates a lot of lift. Any thoughts?

    3. Recommendations for Powder Coating and Gel Coating work in the San Diego area. Have a few holes need to fill in the transom and transom top area. Its a dark blue fade.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    Darrell
    I would contact Greg Shoemaker @ GS Marine..he helped me on my 79

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member NiceGuyEddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    5,838

    Default

    Very cool project.

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lakeside, CA.
    Posts
    9

    Default Progress being made

    So I started to cut out the floor i preparation for setting the intake. Damn this stuff is nasty. Fiberglass stuck in the webbing of my hands for 3 days. I am taking it in to have the intake set by Mike at JP Marine in Lakeside. They are also machining the intake for a shoe and ride plate. Flow coat the interior and take care of the Gel Coat work. I am on the hunt for a built pump or parts to build one. I have a Berkeley 12JC suction housing. I'm Looking for a Dominator or aftermarket bowl. Darrell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171018_212502867.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	995978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171021_080708516_HDR.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	995986  

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phx
    Posts
    202

    Default Might have the perfect set up

    Brother had a challenger. 496, 990 heads, single plane, 950HP holley, comp solid roller,comp rollers, stainless valves etc. etc, forged pistons, rods etc. stainless hard line plumbing etc. All stainless. We pulled to freshen and then he sold the boat. Also has a built JG pump. AB impeller, inducer, dominator bowl, droop, diverter etc. Might have the rail kit too, have to look.

    We sold the boat less power and pump. Guy put big inch ford in it an ran in the SE US.

    Anyway, after we got it ready to go back together, the boat was sold. It is all in the shop. We've been waiting for another project but he bought a different boat.

    Everything is powder coated the same blue as your boat. His challenger was the same white and blue. Send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with him. Parts are in Phx.

    Gugs

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lakeside, CA.
    Posts
    9

    Default More work getting done

    Mike at JP Marine is doing the work on my boat with the exception of the Gelcoat work, They are having someone else do that. First I was going to have them make me a Intake with shoe, ride plate and loader. Install the intake and I was going to take care of the rest. Well, I am so busy that I just kept having Mike do more work on it. I bought a Dominator 12S suction piece, had Mike build be a pump with all the good stuff. SS shaft, Inducer, Etc. Older Dominator bowl with some port work. I welded in a filler plate for the Hand Hole cover. Then had Mike make and install the Transom Plates. Once that was good, I had bought some motor plates, wasn't completely happy with them so they used what i had then build the front plates from scratch. All in all I am real happy so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prepwork.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	1003010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPJet.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	1003018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motorplates.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	1003026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutout.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	1003002  

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lakeside, CA.
    Posts
    9

    Default more

    Couple more pics. What are you using for an alternator. I was looking at the Mini Denso single wire hook up. Any advice?
    Thanks Darrell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GelGreen.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	1003034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ass.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	1003042  

  11. #9
    Senior Member nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fullerton & Water Wheel Resort
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Great project, nice work so far. The mini Denso alternator is a good one. There are others out there too. If possible, I would suggest building a bracket to "rear mount" the alternator and pick up the "crank drive" off the rear drive shaft running to the pump.

    I say this because if you're going to set that boat up as a 4 seater every inch of room makes a difference and if you have to burn up precious "seating space" on a front mount alternator it's a bummer that can be easily avoided.

    I wish I woulda thought of the rear mounted trick when I built my 19CP a couple years ago, I ended up wasting almost a foot of passenger space to accommodate a front mount alternator.

    Good luck with the build!

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    619
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Great project, nice work so far. The mini Denso alternator is a good one. There are others out there too. If possible, I would suggest building a bracket to "rear mount" the alternator and pick up the "crank drive" off the rear drive shaft running to the pump.

    I say this because if you're going to set that boat up as a 4 seater every inch of room makes a difference and if you have to burn up precious "seating space" on a front mount alternator it's a bummer that can be easily avoided.

    I wish I woulda thought of the rear mounted trick when I built my 19CP a couple years ago, I ended up wasting almost a foot of passenger space to accommodate a front mount alternator.

    Good luck with the build!
    Way to go and reasonable ,,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2887.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	1004690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2885.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	1004698  
    Slinging Lead on and off the water for over 40 YRS

    82 18' Crusader Tunnel SOLD ,
    00 23' Mako 232 fish killer,SOLD
    78 19' Eliminator Daytona SOLD
    16 19' Predator/Cheyenne

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lakeside, CA.
    Posts
    9

    Default Jeeps done back to work on the boat.

    Well after a long delay working on my jeep I am back at this. I had a trip to Sand Hollow and Big Bear for fathers day that I needed to have the Jeep done for.

    Hopefully I can get this on the water before November. (Yeah I've got my seasons backwards.)

    So I need some direction on steering, I know you can do a Rack or the dual cable set up. It was recommended to me to try a rotary set up. Anybody have any experience with it on a jet? What size cable is used on a 19 footer? I think I read somewhere 16 foot? Sound right?

    I am in need of a Hydraulic diverter pump/controls, gauges, cables etc.

    I have an all white fiberglass scoop I want to get painted to match the Blue / Green of the boat. Any Recommendations?


    My engine is a mild build. 10.3:1 comp. Edelbrock oval port heads. I am thinking of switching the cam out for a hyd or Mech Roller set up. I have a tunnel ram set up with dual 750's

    Thanks Darrell
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigBearFathersDay18.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	1023651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plante2 077.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	1023653  

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    619
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Do the scoop yourself it's aroung 80 bucks in paint I did two and gotta say not bad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3777.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	1023655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3779.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	1023657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3688.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	1023659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9471.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	1023661  
    Slinging Lead on and off the water for over 40 YRS

    82 18' Crusader Tunnel SOLD ,
    00 23' Mako 232 fish killer,SOLD
    78 19' Eliminator Daytona SOLD
    16 19' Predator/Cheyenne

  15. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Lakeside, CA.
    Posts
    9

    Default Scoop

    Yes I have seen your work............ I drool over it all the time. Very nice, hopefully see you on the water soon. BTW who did you get your Alt Drive pulley from that mounts to your PTO?

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    619
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manja View Post
    Yes I have seen your work............ I drool over it all the time. Very nice, hopefully see you on the water soon. BTW who did you get your Alt Drive pulley from that mounts to your PTO?
    I'll pm you on the parts,we probably live a mile apart so my Machinist could set you up,El Cajon
    Slinging Lead on and off the water for over 40 YRS

    82 18' Crusader Tunnel SOLD ,
    00 23' Mako 232 fish killer,SOLD
    78 19' Eliminator Daytona SOLD
    16 19' Predator/Cheyenne

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95