who runs Avgas?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 83

Thread:
who runs Avgas?

  1. #1
    Senior Member stallion176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    479

    Default who runs Avgas?

    If so do you run a top end lube or just filll er up and run er? Any problems with gumming up? need to run it out of gas at the end of the day or???

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    In addition to the "lack of lube" thing, I'm told jetting will be different than with gas.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    283

    Default

    I have been running av in my motor for the last 12 years with NO problems!No top end lube. No running it out at the end of the weekend! No gumming up NOTHING!Lots of people over the years have told me it hurts your motor thats total B.S!I also have a solid flat billet cam and run ONLY 60wt valvoline racing oil and the cam is still good!Also av is 100 octane low lead! But at sea level it's more like 110. I will continue to run it as long as I can get it.although my motor is 9 to 1 I dont have too I just do it burns cleaner and its not that much more that pump at the dock.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member stallion176's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pump squirt & BAIL! View Post
    I have been running av in my motor for the last 12 years with NO problems!No top end lube. No running it out at the end of the weekend! No gumming up NOTHING!Lots of people over the years have told me it hurts your motor thats total B.S!I also have a solid flat billet cam and run ONLY 60wt valvoline racing oil and the cam is still good!Also av is 100 octane low lead! But at sea level it's more like 110. I will continue to run it as long as I can get it.although my motor is 9 to 1 I dont have too I just do it burns cleaner and its not that much more that pump at the dock.
    Hell if i can get a full season outta my motor id be tickled. Haha

  7. #5
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pump squirt & BAIL! View Post
    I have been running av in my motor for the last 12 years with NO problems!No top end lube. No running it out at the end of the weekend! No gumming up NOTHING!Lots of people over the years have told me it hurts your motor thats total B.S!I also have a solid flat billet cam and run ONLY 60wt valvoline racing oil and the cam is still good!Also av is 100 octane low lead! But at sea level it's more like 110. I will continue to run it as long as I can get it.although my motor is 9 to 1 I dont have too I just do it burns cleaner and its not that much more that pump at the dock.
    Av gas must be different than race fuel then, because with a 9 to 1 motor you'd make more power on pump gas than 110.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  8. #6
    Senior Member 4CE FED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    320

    Default

    I have run 100% 100LL for 3 years now. 502 with 8.75:1 compression and 9 lbs. intercooled boost. Started off running Marvel but found it was not needed/waste of money.

  9. #7
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pump squirt & BAIL! View Post
    I have been running av in my motor for the last 12 years with NO problems!No top end lube. No running it out at the end of the weekend! No gumming up NOTHING!Lots of people over the years have told me it hurts your motor thats total B.S!I also have a solid flat billet cam and run ONLY 60wt valvoline racing oil and the cam is still good!Also av is 100 octane low lead! But at sea level it's more like 110. I will continue to run it as long as I can get it.although my motor is 9 to 1 I dont have too I just do it burns cleaner and its not that much more than pump at the dock.
    Where do you buy it ?

    Are you just running it because you think the super at the dock would have water in it ? At 9:1 if they have premium that would be more than fine and it will make more power with a 91 octane gas. IMO

    Sleeper CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  10. #8
    Engine junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thermal, CA
    Posts
    142

    Default

    I've been working with it for years in all sorts of engines, never an issue or problem to date due to the fuel.
    The only tip I have is that it does run leaner, so jet up a little until you find the sweet spot, read the plugs!
    Also if your running an electric pump that is not designed for use with alcohol such as a standard Holley blue, you will need to put a little top end lube in the fuel to keep the pump alive, otherwise you will find that it locks up, or runs real hot.
    BTW running a higher octane fuel like AV in a 9.5:1 or less combo is a waist of HP and money, the engine will make less HP in most all cases.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"....holy shit.... what a ride!"

  11. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    283

    Default

    A crop duster! Yes I run it because it burns cleaner and I never worry about it being bad.My motor runs cleaner with it but I can assure you I don't lose or gain any power and its cheaper than 91 at the dock in the summer.Now sleeper I know you have somethin to say so come on spit it out! How am I losing by running it in my little 9 to 1 motor????

  12. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SRP1 View Post
    I've been working with it for years in all sorts of engines, never an issue or problem to date due to the fuel.
    The only tip I have is that it does run leaner, so jet up a little until you find the sweet spot, read the plugs!
    Also if your running an electric pump that is not designed for use with alcohol such as a standard Holley blue, you will need to put a little top end lube in the fuel to keep the pump alive, otherwise you will find that it locks up, or runs real hot.
    BTW running a higher octane fuel like AV in a 9.5:1 or less combo is a waist of HP and money, the engine will make less HP in most all cases.
    It's cheaper than 91 octane in the summer! And I run a clay smith manual fuel pump.Btw 91 was 5.00 a gallon at the dock last summer.and it could possibly have water in it! or just be bad that is why I run av

  13. #11
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pump squirt & BAIL! View Post
    A crop duster! Yes I run it because it burns cleaner and I never worry about it being bad.My motor runs cleaner with it but I can assure you I don't lose or gain any power and its cheaper than 91 at the dock in the summer.Now sleeper I know you have somethin to say so come on spit it out! How am I losing by running it in my little 9 to 1 motor????
    Fwiw typically a higher octane fuel burns slower. So best results(power wise) come by running only what you need ,plus a little extra for safety/peace of mind. I know I'm not sleeper but 3 peeps told you the same thing.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

  14. #12
    What the Hell is That? 72Hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    I do a 50/50 combo 91/AV

    motor is 8.1 on 5lbs of boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Log off and go float, hang in the party coves, Show and shine on the trailer, fill up the boat, wax it, v-drive, jet, outdrive, and if you got a canoe and your reading this, you sir, need to phucking upgrade.

  15. #13
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    We found in a 10.5-1 comp Ford 500 incher, we make more power on pump gas and less timing than AvGas and more timing.
    Upper Midwest Power Boat Association
    DRAG BOAT RACING UMPBA #926


  16. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H20MOFO View Post
    Fwiw typically a higher octane fuel burns slower. So best results(power wise) come by running only what you need ,plus a little extra for safety/peace of mind. I know I'm not sleeper but 3 peeps told you the same thing.
    Typically

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95