[Question] Rehashing the jet-a-way question
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
Rehashing the jet-a-way question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default Rehashing the jet-a-way question

    Hey guys I just bought an old Kona tunnel drag because I have a 460 ford sitting on the garage floor out of an old boat, 12.75:1, 736 inch lift type cam, fully ported, yada yada-----. I'm getting old now and wanna know if I need to spend the money on a jetaway or is this little sled of a boat safe in case of catastrophic shut down. Boat will only be used in case the neighbor drops his in the water and he needs his doors blown off LOL.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Short and stout nunes792003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    230

    Default Ass Over Teakettle

    Quote Originally Posted by rlc707 View Post
    Hey guys I just bought an old Kona tunnel drag because I have a 460 ford sitting on the garage floor out of an old boat, 12.75:1, 736 inch lift type cam, fully ported, yada yada-----. I'm getting old now and wanna know if I need to spend the money on a jetaway or is this little sled of a boat safe in case of catastrophic shut down. Boat will only be used in case the neighbor drops his in the water and he needs his doors blown off LOL.

    ric707 just food for thought, I remember an old timer telling me personally no matter what you do you need to always think about and respect what these machine's can do in a slit second. SAFETY FIRST! Like he also said guys spend thousand and thousand's of dollars on their boats and jump in them with a simple standard life vest and no jetaway. What it boils down to is at which speed do you feel your going to be okay if the thing locks up and pitch's you and or you and passengers out of a boat? me personally I would much rather stay dry!

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    That's the answer I was looking for. I know I'm to old to play skippy across the water. Anyone happen to have on old one laying around they wanna sell?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Fonz69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Frozen Tundra, WI
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlc707 View Post
    That's the answer I was looking for. I know I'm to old to play skippy across the water. Anyone happen to have on old one laying around they wanna sell?
    Check with Duane at HITechPerformance he gets some used ones in sometimes. Also another cheap insurance is pull and inspect your loader and bolts every trip to the water.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlc707 View Post
    That's the answer I was looking for. I know I'm to old to play skippy across the water. Anyone happen to have on old one laying around they wanna sell?
    It's a lot easier on the boat too. Many light weight boats break-up when they make that sudden and unexpected turn.

  8. #6
    small block jet 2sangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lexington SC
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Speaking from experience, a jet a way will not stop a light weight Sunkist tunnel from turning on hard shutdown. They do make tuning / warming the engine on the trailer much easier though.

  9. #7
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,853

    Default

    There is no add on device that will keep a hull design with bad shut down characteristics from doing it's thing. Jet a way will help and as mentioned good for warming up out of the water. Pop off helps shut down at really high speeds.

    The best thing to do is buy a hull that is forgiving to hard shut downs.
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    There is no add on device that will keep a hull design with bad shut down characteristics from doing it's thing. Jet a way will help and as mentioned good for warming up out of the water. Pop off helps shut down at really high speeds.

    The best thing to do is buy a hull that is forgiving to hard shut downs.
    I totally agree, and well explained.

  11. #9
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post
    I totally agree, and well explained.
    Thanks Jim
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95