Ford water pressure issues
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
Ford water pressure issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Palestine Texas
    Posts
    26

    Default Ford water pressure issues

    Here is a puzzler for all you Ford guys.
    At 3,200 rpm's I have 60 psi coming out of the pump and 20 psi at my outlet on the intake manifold.
    I am using the same set up as my last engine down to the hoses and fittings. I am using a D1V block all fresh machine work, BUT I am using different heads (Kaase P-51's) and a Victor 460 manifold without the water crossover on the rear. I am also using SCE copper head gaskets.
    Without tearing this thing apart where could my problem be?
    I took the outlet pressure using the 3/4 on the front with my outlet hose still attached from the thermostat plate. It is 1/2 inch line.
    I am building pressure somewhere between the block and intake manifold. Could the lack of the rear crossover cause that?
    I am stumped and really don't want to tear this thing down if I can help it.
    Thanks in advance, Alan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78Kona View Post
    Here is a puzzler for all you Ford guys.
    At 3,200 rpm's I have 60 psi coming out of the pump and 20 psi at my outlet on the intake manifold.
    I am using the same set up as my last engine down to the hoses and fittings. I am using a D1V block all fresh machine work, BUT I am using different heads (Kaase P-51's) and a Victor 460 manifold without the water crossover on the rear. I am also using SCE copper head gaskets.
    Without tearing this thing apart where could my problem be?
    I took the outlet pressure using the 3/4 on the front with my outlet hose still attached from the thermostat plate. It is 1/2 inch line.
    I am building pressure somewhere between the block and intake manifold. Could the lack of the rear crossover cause that?
    I am stumped and really don't want to tear this thing down if I can help it.
    Thanks in advance, Alan
    This is gonna sound retarded, so forgive me in advanced, (I am not a Ford guy), it sounds like the head gaskets are upside down..Been there and dunnit..

    GT (Not Gary Taylor )
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Palestine Texas
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Not retarded at all and I haven't ruled it out, but I was careful to put the words "front" that were embossed in the gasket to the front of the engine with the word on top. Believe me it would not be the first time I screwed up.
    Alan

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78Kona View Post
    Not retarded at all and I haven't ruled it out, but I was careful to put the words "front" that were embossed in the gasket to the front of the engine with the word on top. Believe me it would not be the first time I screwed up.
    Alan
    Beating the dead pony already, but....did it say front and top?

    GT (Not Gary Taylor )
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Palestine Texas
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Nope, and that is what has me worried. I just took it for granted that you would be able to read the word when it was installed.
    Alan

  8. #6
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78Kona View Post
    Nope, and that is what has me worried. I just took it for granted that you would be able to read the word when it was installed.
    Alan

    Makes sense to me, I don't know, someone will chime in that is more familiar with Fords. I have built them before, just not super familiar with the water passages...

    GT (Not Gary Taylor )
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  9. #7
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,160

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by 78Kona View Post
    Here is a puzzler for all you Ford guys.
    At 3,200 rpm's I have 60 psi coming out of the pump and 20 psi at my outlet on the intake manifold.
    I am using the same set up as my last engine down to the hoses and fittings. I am using a D1V block all fresh machine work, BUT I am using different heads (Kaase P-51's) and a Victor 460 manifold without the water crossover on the rear. I am also using SCE copper head gaskets.
    Without tearing this thing apart where could my problem be?
    I took the outlet pressure using the 3/4 on the front with my outlet hose still attached from the thermostat plate. It is 1/2 inch line.
    I am building pressure somewhere between the block and intake manifold. Could the lack of the rear crossover cause that?
    Thanks in advance, Alan
    Ford intakes do not have a water crossover in the rear; the reason that the passage is in the head is simply because the heads are interchangable to either cylinder bank, thereby the rear water passage becomes a front water passage when the head is swapped from one bank to the other...in other words, they are all front passages.

    Oldsmobile seems to be the biggest offender when it comes to excess water pressure pushing water into the block from between the head and intake manifold flanges....but Ford and Chevy can do it too. Use sealer around the water passeges before installing the intake. Then, after torquing the intake to spec, let it sit for a few hours (or overnight) which will allow the gaskets to relax, and then retorque the intake manifold bolts once again. Lastly, intake manifold bolt torque is something that should be regularly checked on jet boats.

    Copper head gaskets are known for leaking water in higher hp engines. Aluminum head flatness is more critical than iron head flatness, so to speak. The block and head machining finish is also important when using copper head gaskets.

    LO
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2017 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

  10. #8
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LakesOnly View Post
    Ford intakes do not have a water crossover in the rear; the reason that the passage is in the head is simply because the heads are interchangable to either cylinder bank, thereby the rear water passage becomes a front water passage when the head is swapped from one bank to the other...in other words, they are all front passages.

    Oldsmobile seems to be the biggest offender when it comes to excess water pressure pushing water into the block from between the head and intake manifold flanges....but Ford and Chevy can do it too. Use sealer around the water passeges before installing the intake. Then, after torquing the intake to spec, let it sit for a few hours (or overnight) which will allow the gaskets to relax, and then retorque the intake manifold bolts once again. Lastly, intake manifold bolt torque is something that should be regularly checked on jet boats.

    Copper head gaskets are known for leaking water in higher hp engines. Aluminum head flatness is more critical than iron head flatness, so to speak. The block and head machining finish is also important when using copper head gaskets.

    LO
    Hey Lakes Only, did I miss something?. It sounded to me, even after re-reading the first post, that the issue is a huge pressure drop between the inlet to the cooling of the block to the outlet (like 40#) of the manifold, this seems excessive to me. Am I wrong?

    My big Chevy runs about 20# in and 15# on the dump line (water shoots out about 6' when running hard)

    I don't think its leaking internally (yet).

    I am actually really curious as to the problem...

    Thanks!

    GT (Not Gary Taylor )
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Palestine Texas
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Hey Lakes Only, did I miss something?. It sounded to me, even after re-reading the first post, that the issue is a huge pressure drop between the inlet to the cooling of the block to the outlet (like 40#) of the manifold, this seems excessive to me. Am I wrong?

    My big Chevy runs about 20# in and 15# on the dump line (water shoots out about 6' when running hard)

    I don't think its leaking internally (yet).

    I am actually really curious as to the problem...

    Thanks!

    GT (Not Gary Taylor )
    Gary, you hit the nail on the head. I am not getting water into the oil or engine, I am building enough pressure to blow a freeze plug.
    I am running a 1/2" bypass regulator and pulled the reading after that point.
    I am thinking of going to a 1" bypass but am still curious why the change. The only difference is the engine and I had no issues last year with the iron head engine.

  12. #10
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 78Kona View Post
    Gary, you hit the nail on the head. I am not getting water into the oil or engine, I am building enough pressure to blow a freeze plug.
    I am running a 1/2" bypass regulator and pulled the reading after that point.
    I am thinking of going to a 1" bypass but am still curious why the change. The only difference is the engine and I had no issues last year with the iron head engine.

    No you did not!!!!!It's Glenn brotha!

    Gary is a piece of shit!

    I am thinking there is a blockage in the heads, are there any pipe plugs in the block "under" the manifold?



    GT (Not going there!)
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Palestine Texas
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    No you did not!!!!!It's Glenn brotha!

    Gary is a piece of shit!

    I am thinking there is a blockage in the heads, are there any pipe plugs in the block "under" the manifold?



    GT (Not going there!)
    Sorry, I thought you were a Gary but not "the" Gary. It won't happen again.
    There was nothing I would consider abnormal on the block, everything else was purchased new. The SCE gaskets were a special order to get .060 thickness to bring the compression down a bit. I am going to call SCE in the morning and see what they say. Maybe i am worried about nothing and just need to bypass more water. I just am not willing to take a chance with this engine until I can get it figured out.

  14. #12
    Senior Member DuaneHTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Your bypass valve and overboard water line and outlet need to be a minimum of 3/4". 1/2" can be too much restriction.

  15. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Palestine Texas
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Thanks Duane, I'll try upgrading my lines and see what happens from there.
    Alan

  16. #14
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,160

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Hey Lakes Only,... the issue is a huge pressure drop between the inlet to the cooling of the block to the outlet (like 40#) of the manifold, this seems excessive to me. Am I wrong?

    Thanks!

    GT (Not Gary Taylor )
    Oops, my mistake. I skimmed the post and believed what I was reading was the typical "water in the crankcase" concern. Hence, my first post... Sorry about that, guys.

    Upon reading the other posts, I agree that head gaskets could be a culprit. They were both installed with the word "Front" facing forward and the word "front" facing up on both cylinder banks??? Also, Alan you said you are "running a 1/2-inch bypass regulator and pulled the reading after that point." What is the pressure just before the regulator?

    Lastly, if possible try plumbing a pressure gauge in a block drain so that you can check both sides of the head gaskets (above & below)....and check both cylinder banks if/when you do this.

    LO
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2017 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95