rpm pill
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
rpm pill

  1. #1
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,138

    Default rpm pill

    Anybody have a rpm pill for the MSD 6AL around 6500 rpm they want to part with?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Pill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Anybody have a rpm pill for the MSD 6AL around 6500 rpm they want to part with?
    Wouldn't that be a "chip".........Pills usually refer to fuel systems.......Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  4. #3
    JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine Squirtin Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bullhead City, AZ
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Anybody have a rpm pill for the MSD 6AL around 6500 rpm they want to part with?
    I will trade you one for wheel lug lock key !
    Actually what is your projected max rpm ? I ran a 6K being I was expecting a max of 5700, I took it out and put in a 7K and it woke the thing up big time. Quickness and top end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Wouldn't that be a "chip".........Pills usually refer to fuel systems.......Ray
    Ray is 100% right on this, they are chips !
    Jim & Amanda Rich
    CJ 72 & 53c

    JR Performance Motorsports

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtin Thunder View Post
    I will trade you one for wheel lug lock key !
    Actually what is your projected max rpm ? I ran a 6K being I was expecting a max of 5700, I took it out and put in a 7K and it woke the thing up big time. Quickness and top end.

    Ray is 100% right on this, they are chips !
    Hmm, could have sworn MSD called them pills, looking at there site they call them modules. Oh well...

    You lookin for the wheel lock key for that trailer i sold Ray? I have it if you need it or if you want to get them off, just hammer a socket on them. If you look close i did that once to one of them, forgot the key PM me your addy and i'll send it to you.

    My target rpm is 5800 off the juice, i think a 6K module is too low and a 7K module is too high... thats all i have.

  7. #5
    JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine Squirtin Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bullhead City, AZ
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    I was just jokin on the lock key, a day or two after Ray showed up with the trailer we were moving it to open storage. I brutilized the locks with a socket. I did not havce the 6500 eather but the 7K was jst fine for the great balance job the lil 429 got down in Avondale at Tuf-Enuf. Timm did a fantastic job. My next BBF will have a Mag and no rev limiter and yes it will be done at Tuf-Enuf again. I really think balance and clearance is the key to revs. The PS89 turns right around 7200rpms, it has a rev kit on the push rods. They had one engine failure in about 22 or so heats, no bad in my book. My CJ72 Sanger likes to fly and was hitting the 7K chip about 10 times a heat.

    BTW - The shaft checked out perfect and is in a real tight pump as of today, .009" side clearance and .025" thrust. Thank you !
    Jim & Amanda Rich
    CJ 72 & 53c

    JR Performance Motorsports

  8. #6
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    I got a 6 you could have but sounds like you already got a six. Just order new ones from jegs. An entire set is 27 bucks.


    http://www.jegs.com/p/MSD/MSD-RPM-Mo...46842/10002/-1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  9. #7
    Done.... So.Bay*310*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    So.Cal
    Posts
    990

    Default

    Shaun-I have what you need. I bought the whole module kit last season. If you'll be at the race this sunday, i'll deliver it to you at the beer garden.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    You should run a minimum of 400 rpm above what you think or know the max rpm is. I was running a 6600 chip and it was hitting the limiter and I was only spinning 6300. Changed out the chip to 7k and it runs so much better on the big end!!!

    Just my .02

  11. #9
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    You should run a minimum of 400 rpm above what you think or know the max rpm is. I was running a 6600 chip and it was hitting the limiter and I was only spinning 6300. Changed out the chip to 7k and it runs so much better on the big end!!!

    Just my .02
    thats good info.. I need to move mine up.. thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  12. #10
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by So.Bay*310* View Post
    Shaun-I have what you need. I bought the whole module kit last season. If you'll be at the race this sunday, i'll deliver it to you at the beer garden.
    I'll be out there sunday

  13. #11
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    You should run a minimum of 400 rpm above what you think or know the max rpm is. I was running a 6600 chip and it was hitting the limiter and I was only spinning 6300. Changed out the chip to 7k and it runs so much better on the big end!!!

    Just my .02
    Kinda what i was thinking. If i'm spinning 5800 i dont want a 6K chip because it's too close to 5800, but i also dont want a 7000 chip because i think tagging the motor at 7K and then loading it back up enough to drop it down to 5800 is alot and probably hard on parts.

    I tend to tag the shit out of my rev limiter, i run through alot of chop.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Kinda what i was thinking. If i'm spinning 5800 i dont want a 6K chip because it's too close to 5800, but i also dont want a 7000 chip because i think tagging the motor at 7K and then loading it back up enough to drop it down to 5800 is alot and probably hard on parts.

    I tend to tag the shit out of my rev limiter, i run through alot of chop.
    i would put a 6600 or so in it. They tend to come in way before you even hit the chip marking rpm.

  15. #13
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    Hmm, maybe i'll just buy the 6000 kit with 200 rpm incrments so i can play and see where i need it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95