1977 sanger hull question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 27

Thread:
1977 sanger hull question

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    38

    Default 1977 sanger hull question

    Guys I bought a 1977 sanger super jet last summer and there is something about it that bothers me and maybe Im jus crazy (don't know). Thing is when I first took the boat out on the water it was a lil differen't for me being that it was my first jet boat,but not my first boat or hp 454 to play with. My concern is of the hull right under your feet you can feel the hull flex when you hit waves hard in this area. Also when the boat is on the trailer you can see the hull is flexed upwards a lil in this area due to bunk pushing it up. Is this something bad or what. Boat does not have a place diverter yet so you have no trim to get on the back pad either and I thought this may be the problem? I can take pics if needed. Please Help!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member hollbrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Ga.
    Posts
    186

    Default Dead glass?

    I can't really say from a lot of experience, but I had some areas in my old hull that were like that. I could shine a strong light on it and see places where the resin was not very solid- instead of clear looking, it was white/opaque. I uncovered these places when redoing the stringers/floor/ engine mounts. My weight standing on it would flex it. I didn't like it- so I ground down to clean glass and laminated it with several layers of new material. If it is flexing when you ride- and you can feel it- it sounds like the bottom integrity is not so great. If it is doing it just sitting on the bunks, then you might check the hull for hook and rocker. Mine had a hook that could catch fish.
    I would have to say if I encountered the same thing in a hull again, I would start looking for a hull that was solid to start with. The sort of work that it takes to bring back those old hulls will kill a man.

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot2 View Post
    Guys I bought a 1977 sanger super jet last summer and there is something about it that bothers me and maybe Im jus crazy (don't know). Thing is when I first took the boat out on the water it was a lil differen't for me being that it was my first jet boat,but not my first boat or hp 454 to play with. My concern is of the hull right under your feet you can feel the hull flex when you hit waves hard in this area. Also when the boat is on the trailer you can see the hull is flexed upwards a lil in this area due to bunk pushing it up. Is this something bad or what. Boat does not have a place diverter yet so you have no trim to get on the back pad either and I thought this may be the problem? I can take pics if needed. Please Help!!
    It could just be a light lay up hull, IF it is a light lay up the flexing would be normal (and strong).
    The hull flexing upwards while on the trailer is a whole different deal as even a light lay up hull doesn't sit funny on the trailer/bend while on the trailer.
    Let's see some pics of the boat. Does the hull have full or 1/4 stringers? Put a 4' (at least) straight edge on the bottom center of the boat (the keel) and find out what's going on with the keel (is it flat, concave, bowed, etc...).
    Jet boats aren't required to have trim systems, most race boats don't have them, and most jet boats didn't have them when they were new.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Ok, let me ask you this then, could the bunks be up too high in this area?

  7. #5
    Re-member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    bay area ca.
    Posts
    146

    Default

    are you pulling the nose of the boat down on the trailer with a winch or is it freely hooked at the bow eye? sounds like the stringers might be rotten if its flexing alot. bunks can be as high as they want to be. boat should sit on top of them unless your pulling the bow down.

  8. #6
    "Try it Now!" Tahiti Boss21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yucaipa, California
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    i can feel my big ol cruiser flex right there sometimes, trips me out but over the years i've grown to think it's normal...or maybe it's the two fully loaded ice chests under the bow? take pics for the other prob
    1992 Eliminator Daytona 21'

  9. #7
    JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine Squirtin Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bullhead City, AZ
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    It could just be a light lay up hull, IF it is a light lay up the flexing would be normal (and strong).
    The hull flexing upwards while on the trailer is a whole different deal as even a light lay up hull doesn't sit funny on the trailer/bend while on the trailer.
    Let's see some pics of the boat. Does the hull have full or 1/4 stringers? Put a 4' (at least) straight edge on the bottom center of the boat (the keel) and find out what's going on with the keel (is it flat, concave, bowed, etc...).
    Jet boats aren't required to have trim systems, most race boats don't have them, and most jet boats didn't have them when they were new.
    It would be very surprising to me to see a light layup in a actual Super Jet. Can we see some pictures it does help alot !
    Jim & Amanda Rich
    CJ 72 & 53c

    JR Performance Motorsports

  10. #8
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    With the exception of Sanger V-drives and My Sanger Circle boat (one off) all the Sanger Jets including the Super jets and Sprint jets I've ever seen are 1/4 stringer /motor box construction , They (Sanger) achieved hull "structure and integrity" by attaching/laminating the plywood Sub Floor down across the inside of the hull at the right and left side "voids' left by the the strakes and a center reinforcing rib . If the floor begins to rot or delaminates at the edges the boat can display that torsional twisting (squirming) like you describe (especially in turns) My brother in law had a 18' Tahiti the felt like a corkscrew in turns ,turned out the floor had come loose from the bottom Recommend you check the floor at the edges (about midships) Call if we can help Tom
    full stringer

    1/4

  11. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Listen to Tom at JBP, it makes sense. Where's the pics?

  12. #10
    Senior Member 74glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Alamogordo NM
    Posts
    582

    Default Tom is the man

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    Listen to Tom at JBP, it makes sense. Where's the pics?
    you have to give props to anybod who will give out their personal cell number to anybody who needs help.

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Ok thanks guys for the helpful info! I have been working a shutdown and haven't had time to take pics but I will soon. I think my sanger is a 1/4 stringer, and after looking further I found that on the right side the hull is not being pushed up like left side is, and it is not tied down with a winch strap. It has the pin type hook on front that moves up and down with boat. When you tap on the hull in this area it sounds very thick and sound. I haven't checked under carpet yet to see what is under there but I will soon after this shutdown I am on and take some pics to post. again thanks

  14. #12
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Sanger squirts are great boats you'll have a ball keep us posted !

  15. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    ... Where's the pics?
    Uhmmm....

  16. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATT890496.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	43951

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95