Puke tanks for a SBC?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 21

Thread:
Puke tanks for a SBC?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Puke tanks for a SBC?

    Boats running great, However my breather on my driver side valve cover is just spittin oil all over the cover and its runnin down my engine causin a mess. Oil level is good and oil pressure maintains good PSI...


    What are my options? Puke tank, new covers, what? never tackled that issue before so i need to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Is there a baffle under the breather?

    puke tank
    taller breathers
    EVAC
    vacuum pump

  4. #3
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    Is there a baffle under the breather?

    puke tank
    taller breathers
    EVAC
    vacuum pump

    I dont think so...

    What is a EVAC or a vacuum pump?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member miketeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    968

    Default

    several things can cause this among them:

    1. high oil level or poor oil control...evidenced by fluctuating oil pressure at rpm, also makes the oil temperature rise suddenly when it happens

    2. not enough ventilation at the valve covers...mine were fit with vents that were too small..the little blowby was pushing the oil (that is like a rainstorm in the rocker galley) out

    3. blowby (bad rings)

    I use bilge pump hose on the valve covers. About a foot or so. Vertical. This hose pushes in nicely to the 7/8" rubber grommet that you commonly see on the sbc valve covers. Dont pull out well over 90mph.

    at the inlet i use brass screen as a splash eliminator. about 2" wrapped such that it holds to the ID of the bilge pump hose, but leaves the center clear, maybe 1/2 open in the middle...i suppose a brass 'scrubbie' would work too. Just make sure it cant fall into the rocker galley.

    One hose points sort of forward, the other points sort of back and provides some PVC at speed (a PVC valve to the bottom of the carb is not safe)

    Looks funny but it works. I figure the length of corrigated tube catches the splashes and vapors, "classifies" them and they run back down into the engine.
    Team FTL
    Horsepower Homo
    Centistoke Fag

  7. #5
    Senior Member bajadad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yucaipa Ca
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Here's a pic of evac system, basically the headers create vacuum for the breathers, in return ventilates the crankcase and increases ring seal. Puke Tank is a good option also, probably cleaner in your situation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	44249  

  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delemorte View Post
    I dont think so...

    What is a EVAC or a vacuum pump?
    A baffle under a breather is usually just a small piece of sheetmetal under the vave cover at the breather's hole so oil doesn't have a "straight shot" out of the engine. They help a lot and a lot of aluminum valve covers have provisions for them.

    EVAC has already been explained in this thread. A vacuum pump is a pump that sucks the crankcase pressure out. Some are bought as vacuum pumps and some are smog pumps.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Need4Speed77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Q.C./Big River
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    I had the same problem and was going to plumb up a puke tank but was told to try another option first to see if it would take care of the problem before I spent all the money needed to go the puke tank route. I put a small piece ( about as wide and as tall as the breather ) of a scotch brite ( green scratch pad ) down in the breather and change it out every couple days that I run the boat. It solved my problem completely and only costs me about fifty cents every other trip. Of course it will only work if your breathers don't have a large hole cut out under them. I just drilled six 5/16" holes under mine when I installed them. Or you could get a small plate and drill holes and put it inside the valve cover and bolt it on. I'd try that first to see if it works. just my $.02

  10. #8
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    A baffle under a breather is usually just a small piece of sheetmetal under the vave cover at the breather's hole so oil doesn't have a "straight shot" out of the engine. They help a lot and a lot of aluminum valve covers have provisions for them.

    EVAC has already been explained in this thread. A vacuum pump is a pump that sucks the crankcase pressure out. Some are bought as vacuum pumps and some are smog pumps.

    There is a baffle. I was just not sure exactly what the heck it was called...

    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed77 View Post
    I had the same problem and was going to plumb up a puke tank but was told to try another option first to see if it would take care of the problem before I spent all the money needed to go the puke tank route. I put a small piece ( about as wide and as tall as the breather ) of a scotch brite ( green scratch pad ) down in the breather and change it out every couple days that I run the boat. It solved my problem completely and only costs me about fifty cents every other trip. Of course it will only work if your breathers don't have a large hole cut out under them. I just drilled six 5/16" holes under mine when I installed them. Or you could get a small plate and drill holes and put it inside the valve cover and bolt it on. I'd try that first to see if it works. just my $.02
    Ill try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  11. #9
    SLOW MEMBER slowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miketeast View Post

    One hose points sort of forward, the other points sort of back and provides some PVC at speed (a PVC valve to the bottom of the carb is not safe)

    What is a PVC and why is it unsafe at speed?
    WORK HARDER, MILLIONS ON WELFARE DEPEND ON YOU.

  12. #10
    Senior Member miketeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Positive Crankcase Ventilation

    all kinds of nasty things blow by the rings, especially running nitrous.

    got to get rid of that stuff someway or oil contamination happens or even a crankcase explosion could happen. In an automobile engine there is some intake manifold vacuum to help purge this stuff. WOT no vacuum...no good.

    I dont like the PVC to the base of the carb because it might put oil into the combustion chamber and detonate...really nothing to do with speed.

    the speed part is what PVC i get from positioning the hoses into/outof the windstream.

    At one time i actually used a videocard fan...got laughed at big time, but it worked to clear some idle reversion issues i had from an exhaust/cam issue.
    Team FTL
    Horsepower Homo
    Centistoke Fag

  13. #11
    E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newton Ks.
    Posts
    6,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miketeast View Post
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation

    all kinds of nasty things blow by the rings, especially running nitrous.

    got to get rid of that stuff someway or oil contamination happens or even a crankcase explosion could happen. In an automobile engine there is some intake manifold vacuum to help purge this stuff. WOT no vacuum...no good.

    I dont like the PVC to the base of the carb because it might put oil into the combustion chamber and detonate...really nothing to do with speed.

    the speed part is what PVC i get from positioning the hoses into/outof the windstream.

    At one time i actually used a videocard fan...got laughed at big time, but it worked to clear some idle reversion issues i had from an exhaust/cam issue.
    Yea, nothing at all like putting GASOLINE in the combustion chamber.

    Motor oil has such a high flash point, you WILL NOT GET IT to ignite in a gasoline engine combustion chamber, just as you will not get diesel fuel to ignite without compressing the air it is in to something like 20X+ in order to get the ignition environment to OVER 400 degrees F.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

    OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLowriderSS View Post
    Yea, nothing at all like putting GASOLINE in the combustion chamber.

    Motor oil has such a high flash point, you WILL NOT GET IT to ignite in a gasoline engine combustion chamber, just as you will not get diesel fuel to ignite without compressing the air it is in to something like 20X+ in order to get the ignition environment to OVER 400 degrees F.

    YOu allways got to ruin it with science and facts and shit.. Geesh!!



    However on a serious note i do have a PCV on my boat. should i remove that and plug the carb hole? I didnt even think that if oil was coming out of my breather it might also be flinging into my engine...
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  15. #13
    What the Hell is That? 72Hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    1,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delemorte View Post
    YOu allways got to ruin it with science and facts and shit.. Geesh!!



    However on a serious note i do have a PCV on my boat. should i remove that and plug the carb hole? I didnt even think that if oil was coming out of my breather it might also be flinging into my engine...
    LowriderSS Is my Hero! He is the Peter Jennings Of the forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Log off and go float, hang in the party coves, Show and shine on the trailer, fill up the boat, wax it, v-drive, jet, outdrive, and if you got a canoe and your reading this, you sir, need to phucking upgrade.

  16. #14
    Senior Member miketeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinLowriderSS View Post
    Yea, nothing at all like putting GASOLINE in the combustion chamber.

    Motor oil has such a high flash point, you WILL NOT GET IT to ignite in a gasoline engine combustion chamber, just as you will not get diesel fuel to ignite without compressing the air it is in to something like 20X+ in order to get the ignition environment to OVER 400 degrees F.
    and just what temperature do you think combustion is taking place at?
    and just what temperature do you think the cylinder walls run at?
    and just what is the pressure just after the ignition as the cylinder approaches TDC
    and just how much oxygen is there left to burn at TDC?

    any oil suspended in the combustion chamber will cause detonation, if you are on the verge anyway.

    oil mixed with gasoline will cause destructive detonation in very small amounts, if the engine is being run at a high capacity. Blower seal leaks have been known to detonate engine. I have had valve guide seals cause detonation...no smoke just detonation.

    I wont run my PCV into the base of the carb on an engine i know will be run hard or with nitrous.

    I had oil blowing out all over the boat
    I dont have oil blowing out all over the boat (any more)
    I found some reasons why
    I corrected the problem cheep and effectivly.
    Last edited by miketeast; 06-08-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    Team FTL
    Horsepower Homo
    Centistoke Fag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95