Take a wild guess for me will you.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 27

Thread:
Take a wild guess for me will you.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Take a wild guess for me will you.

    i am constantly asked how much HP my SBC puts out or whats inside of it. Since my dad had it built no way to answer the second question however now that i got some numbers on the boat hopefully some of you smart mofo's can throw me some ballparks...



    350CID spins a B impeller at 5000K up to 60 MPH..

    Im damn proud of that number since i was assured she would not see over 35 mph .

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    340 hp

  4. #3
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    340 hp

    bitchin... :-) I dont really care what the number is but i feel like a dumb ass not at least having a guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    I hear you.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	impellor-chart.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	44211  

  7. #5
    Senior Member miketeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delemorte View Post

    350CID spins a B impeller at 5000K up to 60 MPH..

    Im damn proud of that number since i was assured she would not see over 35 mph .

    I heard the same story. "small block dont make enough torque" and other such nonsense.

    Small block maybe dont make enough horsepower, but in a light boat the weight can be an advantage in holeshot and economy. It definately is an advantage in price (well except if you got to build three of them to finally find out how to make the horsepower).

    Now you should be able to put a 100 shot on that bad boy and it will really wake up (70mph). Most SBC will absorb 100 shot with just a little attention:
    Cool plugs (j gapped, no extended tip), fuel pressure switch, WOT switch and start with -2deg timing. Take it slow and read the plugs. It is better to have built it with the nitrous in mind (cylinder bore, ring gap, quench)

    oh yeah they stay together (so far) and you can run the dogshit outta them.
    Team FTL
    Horsepower Homo
    Centistoke Fag

  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miketeast View Post
    ... Now you should be able to put a 100 shot on that bad boy and it will really wake up (70mph) ...
    I'm calling bullsh!t on that one. 100 HP = 10 mph - I don't think so.


  9. #7
    Senior Member W.O.T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Campo Ca
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    I'm calling bullsh!t on that one. 100 HP = 10 mph - I don't think so.

    e bay speed

  10. #8
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    I'm calling bullsh!t on that one. 100 HP = 10 mph - I don't think so.


    [schoolyard] FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT [Schoolyard\]
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  11. #9
    Senior Member miketeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    I'm calling bullsh!t on that one. 100 HP = 10 mph - I don't think so.



    typical torque BBC response...that along with you cant do 90mph on 550 hp.



    Supersoaker turn an [email protected], [email protected] for me is 70mph and we have done hundreds of miles at these speeds. The higher speeds seem to be hit and miss at around 90 for the same horsepower...even the same day just minutes apart...on 87/89octane.


    Depending on what boat Delemorte's is, he can get near 70 with his existing horsepower. The tunnel is somewhat more efficient...nevertheless.. Its all in setup.

    It is true that the 70mph is the calculated mph based on 60mph with 340hp ([email protected]) and this puts his 440hp rpm at 5460.

    And it is true that 70 is not guaranteed...There can be problems in the intake/setup/hull that can start to show as the speeds go up, including severe porpous, pump vacation, set and other things...

    I think he can get over 70 with a little setup and 100shot...easy.


    sbc cant do 90

    Mouse Reeks Havoc

    Oh, yeah i get 4mpg average, fixed nozzle, and no porpous and ANY speed guess you dont believe that either.
    Team FTL
    Horsepower Homo
    Centistoke Fag

  12. #10
    Senior Member FakeThis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    i dont know
    Posts
    116

    Default

    ok

  13. #11
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miketeast View Post
    typical torque BBC response...that along with you cant do 90mph on 550 hp.



    Supersoaker turn an [email protected], [email protected] for me is 70mph and we have done hundreds of miles at these speeds. The higher speeds seem to be hit and miss at around 90 for the same horsepower...even the same day just minutes apart...on 87/89octane.


    Depending on what boat Delemorte's is, he can get near 70 with his existing horsepower. The tunnel is somewhat more efficient...nevertheless.. Its all in setup.

    It is true that the 70mph is the calculated mph based on 60mph with 340hp ([email protected]) and this puts his 440hp rpm at 5460.

    And it is true that 70 is not guaranteed...There can be problems in the intake/setup/hull that can start to show as the speeds go up, including severe porpous, pump vacation, set and other things...

    I think he can get over 70 with a little setup and 100shot...easy.


    sbc cant do 90

    Mouse Reeks Havoc

    Oh, yeah i get 4mpg average, fixed nozzle, and no porpous and ANY speed guess you dont believe that either.
    I watched your video and your boat runs good. But dont trust that stupid peedo tube speedo. You can do all kinds of thing to them to read high #'s. I have done it. Lets see some gps speed runs. I also noticed that your cruising at about 34-3600 rpm and doing 70 mph on your speedo.. That right there tells me your speedo is jacked! Nice boat BTW, but your loosing alot on the holeshot with that giant wheelstand.

    Cool ride none the less.

  14. #12
    Senior Member miketeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    I watched your video and your boat runs good. But dont trust that stupid peedo tube speedo. You can do all kinds of thing to them to read high #'s. I have done it. Lets see some gps speed runs. I also noticed that your cruising at about 34-3600 rpm and doing 70 mph on your speedo.. That right there tells me your speedo is jacked! Nice boat BTW, but your loosing alot on the holeshot with that giant wheelstand.

    Cool ride none the less.
    I take these videos at 30p HDV that is 30 1440x1080 pics per second.

    the tach is not visible on any of the parts of the video shown such that you can tell what the RPM is...neither is the speed constant enough to tell what speed is what speed at what rpm. The speedo is as accurate as one can expect out of one of them.

    Dead nuts at 50, off by 3mph at 80 (i think Supersoaker told me his was off by two) both high


    When we run side by side, for any real distance, our gps reads the same, and the pitots are always off by about the same (we run in salt water too, makes them off a little different).

    Upon very rapid acceleration/deceleration my gps just cant keep up. Donnie says his can.


    and i have never been able to position the tube, or get something stuck in the tube, or change the face of the tube that makes it read high....always low (so far)


    I cant find how to calibrate the speedo either...there are marks at 70 and 73...i believe they mean 70psi in fresh and salt water. I have thought about just using a pressure transducer, and doing the conversion. I use this pickup.


    and with GPS you got to subtract (or add) the river speed


    ........


    Now about the bow rize....yes it pushes the boat entirely out of the water and only about 450 hp can be sustained for the first 60 feet or so or it will vacate the pump. What can i do? Jump on the front if it and hang my legs off the end like i use to do on the bikes? Or do you suggest more throttle control?

    I have thought of putting sheets of aluminum shaped like the tunnels behind the tunnels...sort of a trim tabby thing. Then i could run to cavitation.

    Thank you for the compliments too.


    Well... can Delemorte get 70 with a 100shot?
    Last edited by miketeast; 06-08-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Team FTL
    Horsepower Homo
    Centistoke Fag

  15. #13
    Senior Member miketeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FakeThis View Post
    ok
    How bad is the river up there?

    you going to Jacks?
    Team FTL
    Horsepower Homo
    Centistoke Fag

  16. #14
    Cross Member Tazmanian_Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Taxifornia
    Posts
    104

    Default

    When someone asks that look them square in the eye and say "I don't have a clue how much horsepower this thing has". Problem solved.

    If people are asking you that you are really pretty lucky. Usually the number one question out of the typical person is "how fast does that thing go?"
    I used to wish they would ask how much horsepower I had.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95