setback pump transom plate template
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 27

Thread:
setback pump transom plate template

  1. #1
    Senior Member tx19condor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    194

    Default setback pump transom plate template

    I just finished making a template for a transom plate. My pump isnt set back real far, the hand hole cover is about 3/4 of the way outside the back of the transom. The boat is a condor tx19 with a berkeley pump. I scanned the template in to my computer and if it would help anyone elso out I would be glad to email it to you. If nothing else maybe it would give you a starting point if you need to make one. Now I need to decide if I should make it out of dark lexan or aluminum. I was going to use 1/4 inch dark lexan, since im not the kind of guy to polish aluminum all the time and keep it looking good. What do you guys think? Send me a pm with your email if the template will help you out.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tx19condor View Post
    I just finished making a template for a transom plate. My pump isnt set back real far, the hand hole cover is about 3/4 of the way outside the back of the transom. The boat is a condor tx19 with a berkeley pump. I scanned the template in to my computer and if it would help anyone elso out I would be glad to email it to you. If nothing else maybe it would give you a starting point if you need to make one. Now I need to decide if I should make it out of dark lexan or aluminum. I was going to use 1/4 inch dark lexan, since im not the kind of guy to polish aluminum all the time and keep it looking good. What do you guys think? Send me a pm with your email if the template will help you out.
    PM sent.

    I'd be worried about the lexan breaking/cracking.

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    344

    Default

    pm sent i would use aluminum, that is what i used om my liberator , i [polished it then sprayed clear over it , and never has a problem.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member tx19condor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    194

    Default

    emails sent to busby, taylorman and squirtcha. let me know if they dont come thru ok.

  7. #5
    Senior Member tx19condor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    194

    Default

    ive got a hunk of fiberglass I could cut them out of too. maybe that would be better than lexan and easier than aluminum

  8. #6
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    aluminum isn't that hard to cut...

  9. #7
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    I have kicked around the Idea of fiberglass also.
    If I gel coated it white it would blend in better.

  10. #8
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tx19condor View Post
    emails sent to busby, taylorman and squirtcha. let me know if they dont come thru ok.
    Got it................thanks

    Brendellajet is right. I use a regular old circular saw with a plywood blade flipped around backwards for straight cuts and a jigsaw with a metal blade for the other.

    It's really not bad to work with. The 1/4" is easy to cut. Not sure what the next size/thickness down is in aluminum plate but that would be even easier and probably plenty strong.

    I've even cut 3/8" plate with my circular and it buzzed right through it. It helps to have someone spray the blade with WD40 while you cut. It keeps the aluminum from melting and sticking to the teeth.

  11. #9
    Senior Member cave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    4,704

    Default

    Aluminum will cut with a crosscut carbide tooth saw blade. I used to do it all the time. Freaking chips hurt bad so wear eye protection!

  12. #10
    Senior Member tx19condor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Im going to go with aluminum. I think the fiberglass or lexan will crack from the stress of the steering cable and place divertor cable pushing and pulling against it. now I just need to score a piece of plate somewhere.

  13. #11
    Senior Member tx19condor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cave View Post
    Aluminum will cut with a crosscut carbide tooth saw blade. I used to do it all the time. Freaking chips hurt bad so wear eye protection!
    not to worry, I wear my safety contact lenses everyday!

  14. #12
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default clamshells

    Interesting concept and virtually unbreakable too! ,We've use both aluminum and fiberglass ,here's one from this week and a couple prior as well Tom cool never thought about Lexan ,??


    Last edited by jetboatperformance; 03-01-2008 at 07:54 PM.

  15. #13
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    not sure where you live, but sometimes where I live
    aluminum products are hard to come by.

    this is where I purchased my angle for my rails.

    http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml

  16. #14
    Senior Member superdave013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    you guys need a Busby. lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95