Steering Tube w/ Jet-O-Vator
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
Steering Tube w/ Jet-O-Vator

  1. #1
    Wet
    Wet is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    4,957

    Default Steering Tube w/ Jet-O-Vator

    It leaks like crazy through my steering tube when I'm sitting. So, I'm wondering if the transom adapter is supposed to have O-rings in the hole, or am I looking for something different to seal it? I don't think there's enough room to put a boot over it and still work properly.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    lol, right..... Devilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    1,168

    Default

    Mine has some sort of shouldered rubber(?) bushing that goes over the steering tube (under the outside nut), seals the hole where the steering tube passes through the transom adapter.

    Far as water getting into the steering tube itself, I ran across a nut with a 0-ring seal & grease zerk at one of the local boat shops. Threads onto the end of the steering tube, keeps the water out.

  4. #3
    Wet
    Wet is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Do you have a pic or two of this?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Matt do you indeeed have a Jet O Vator or a Place Diverter? An original Berk Jet O Vator depends on the extra long steer tube to slide in and out thru a specially designed Transom adaptor seal and bushing affair. This action allows the old style trim nozzle to travel "up and down" and effect "trim" (No sure if the seal set ups are still available, I have a couple) Place Diverter uses a standard steer tube and thus uses a standard compressed steer tube bushing , in this case the steer tube is sealed at the bushing between two "waisted nuts" on either side of the transom adaptor and is further sealed by a small nylon seal inside the steer cable. The internal cable nut seal fits against the back surface of the steer tube (inside the boat) , a little dab of silicone at that point helps . A common delima is that if the steer tube nuts on the latter are too loose they leak but if too tight they cause steering geometry issues and binding of the cable shaft inside the tube. The "Quest" for us recently was to come up with a "live" steer tube bushing that also allowed for a "E" boot and still maintained the movement neccesary in the steer tube , we will pruduce these in quantities eventually ... Tom

    btw the greasable cable nut seal Kenny mentioned helps seal the steer tube and seems to prolong cable life , there now available in stainless and aluminum

  7. #5
    lol, right..... Devilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    1,168

    Default



    This was about the clearest pic I could come up with on this computer that showed it best. You can see the edge of the bushing under the nut, I don't have anything showing the bushing itself though, sorry. May be able to find it on a Berkeley parts list?

    That nut on the end that I mentioned, cost around $15-$20 bucks when I bought it. Seems to work pretty good.

  8. #6
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet Dream View Post
    Do you have a pic or two of this?
    I just looked on CP Performance's website. It comes with the transom housing seal kit...couldn't find it as a seperate item, but I'm sure if you call them they might sell it seperate.



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  9. #7
    Member twowheeledfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Matt do you indeeed have a Jet O Vator or a Place Diverter? An original Berk Jet O Vator depends on the extra long steer tube to slide in and out thru a specially designed Transom adaptor seal and bushing affair. This action allows the old style trim nozzle to travel "up and down" and effect "trim" (No sure if the seal set ups are still available, I have a couple) Place Diverter uses a standard steer tube and thus uses a standard compressed steer tube bushing , in this case the steer tube is sealed at the bushing between two "waisted nuts" on either side of the transom adaptor and is further sealed by a small nylon seal inside the steer cable. The internal cable nut seal fits against the back surface of the steer tube (inside the boat) , a little dab of silicone at that point helps . A common delima is that if the steer tube nuts on the latter are too loose they leak but if too tight they cause steering geometry issues and binding of the cable shaft inside the tube. The "Quest" for us recently was to come up with a "live" steer tube bushing that also allowed for a "E" boot and still maintained the movement neccesary in the steer tube , we will pruduce these in quantities eventually ... Tom

    btw the greasable cable nut seal Kenny mentioned helps seal the steer tube and seems to prolong cable life , there now available in stainless and aluminum
    Hey Tom, how about American Turbine's turbine trim? The tiller is a bit wider than either a jetovater or place diverter, and the excessive angle created allowed water to seep in through the grease fitting and ruin the cable... this was on my old boat:


  10. #8
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    2wheel the geometry is definatley wrong the AT arm is longer than the OE Berk and the steer tube bushing is too tight , you could benifit from relocating the hole in the tiller a bit closer to center or.... you could relocate the steer tube to a "splash well" mount steering as well Tom

  11. #9
    Member twowheeledfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    2wheel the geometry is definatley wrong the AT arm is longer than the OE Berk and the steer tube bushing is too tight , you could benifit from relocating the hole in the tiller a bit closer to center or.... you could relocate the steer tube to a "splash well" mount steering as well Tom
    Thanks buddy!

  12. #10
    Wet
    Wet is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Ya, huge difference between the setups on JOV's and PD's. The steering tube slides through the JOV tube, which slides THROUGH the transom housing. I take on water like I left the plug out.

    JBP, do you have anything available for this?

    I thank everyone for the continuing responses, but keep them coming. I need to seal this thing up.

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    93

    Default

    I have a jet-p-vator and mine use to leak when i was setting but i bought the new bushing that has the o-ring inside and it just drips now the gray slicone is what is holding the bushing in place and the o-ring is in side that bushing. hope this helps

  14. #12
    Jet boat service
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sebastopol Cal.
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Jet boat kid has it dialed in. There is a special fitting that sits inside the transome that taps into an interference fit ( slightly) and is further held by the Steering tube spring. This fitting has an O ring inside that seals the tube, that moves back and forth, as the nozzle trim is activated, I have some of these kickng around. If you need one call me in the shop. Jim

  15. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Performance Jet View Post
    Jet boat kid has it dialed in. There is a special fitting that sits inside the transome that taps into an interference fit ( slightly) and is further held by the Steering tube spring. This fitting has an O ring inside that seals the tube, that moves back and forth, as the nozzle trim is activated, I have some of these kickng around. If you need one call me in the shop. Jim
    yes sorry forgot to say the spring help hold it in too. thanks Jim, that o-ring is no much but the bushing was like 100 dollar, yeah i about fell out of my chair when he told me that. mine would not even drip but my tube that slides back and forth is wore out and getting thin. when you put that o-ring on there keep a little alxe lube on there and it will slide very nice.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95