anyone running a ls1 in there boat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 90

Thread:
anyone running a ls1 in there boat

  1. #1
    Senior Member bigblock68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    269

    Default anyone running a ls1 in there boat

    anyone tried the late modle chevy v8 ls1 or ls2 or likeing to

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I have been thinking about an LS boat motor for a while, it is a no-brainer from a weight and power standpoint. And its a no brainer from a cost standpoint if you run an iron block 6.0 from a truck (LQ4 or LQ9). These things are high RPM screamers, with no oiling problems or heavy bottom end problems (limiting RPM with stock parts) like typ old school big blocks. The main problem is manifolds/headers. Nobody makes or sells them cheap enough to justify the cost. Indmar makes some but they are way too much money, and I heard Indmar wont sell the manifolds by themselves to the public at any cost (they want you to pay them $5 million for a gay stock 300 hp EFI wake boat LQ4).

    There are affordable stand alone spark controllers (msd and edelbrock) to fire the coil-on-plug, and carb manifolds to be able to run marine carb. I like efi but it would be too much hassle on a boat (IMO).

    As a work-around for the manifolds, I started looking into figuring out the port spacing of the LS series, and making up an adapter to run BBC or BBF logs/headers based on which one (BBC or BBF) is closest match to the LS port spacing. The internet is devoid of those kinds of data unfortunately.

    DO IT and post up the details.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default Ls1

    I'm in the talking stages of building a 19 So Cal tunnel with a turbo charged LS1 Ultra just built a 23 tunnel for one of our customer in the trailer park and I was really impressed with the performance. This LS1 had a small Whipple supercharger on it and in the 23 it ran 70 mph light load of fuel, no gear and 2 people in the boat but still some very impressive numbers.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    ive done some dyno testing on ls1 and ls2 engines and they are pretty impressive.

    I've got a 5.3L ls1 in my '73 Chevy C10 with a comp thumper cam and a holley 650 and it makes 411hp. That's the iron block aluminum headed engine.

    I also got an all aluminum ls2 (aluminum block, aluminum heads) and it made 480hp bone stock with just some ignition tweaking. that's with a Demon 750 carb.

    there are guys making 1000hp with the stock block and well over 2000hp turbo'd with the new lsx block.

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    As a work-around for the manifolds, I started looking into figuring out the port spacing of the LS series, and making up an adapter to run BBC or BBF logs/headers based on which one (BBC or BBF) is closest match to the LS port spacing. The internet is devoid of those kinds of data unfortunately.
    Let me know what measurements you want/need. I've got a 5.3 sitting out on my back porch (still fully assembled mind you, dont feel like pulling heads or anything) waiting to be rebuilt for a truck project I have. There shouldnt be much difference (if any) between all of the different heads you can throw on these things.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    201

    Default

    just the basic port dimensions - center of port to center of next port, and locations of exhaust manifold bolt holes relative to the port center.

    hell with the truck, you need to get that 5.3 in a boat and see how it rips. If that is a ~300 hp truck engine, its probably around 350 hp with no water pump, power steering, etc dragging it down.... all with stock truck cam.

  9. #7
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    ive done some dyno testing on ls1 and ls2 engines and they are pretty impressive.

    I've got a 5.3L ls1 in my '73 Chevy C10 with a comp thumper cam and a holley 650 and it makes 411hp. That's the iron block aluminum headed engine.

    I also got an all aluminum ls2 (aluminum block, aluminum heads) and it made 480hp bone stock with just some ignition tweaking. that's with a Demon 750 carb.

    there are guys making 1000hp with the stock block and well over 2000hp turbo'd with the new lsx block.
    i've got one my stand and the plans are down on paper for 20+psi of boost i'm done building bigblocks for myself, this blow thru carb stuff makes so much power soo cheap, you can build a pump gas ls sbc that'll eat up 80% of the boats having to run race gas on the lake that's my plan anyways soon as the nordic sells, i'm goin full tilt on it, just piece'n it together till then.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  10. #8
    Senior Member Robert Jonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canyon Country, CA
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    hell with the truck, you need to get that 5.3 in a boat and see how it rips. If that is a ~300 hp truck engine, its probably around 350 hp with no water pump, power steering, etc dragging it down.... all with stock truck cam.
    that's a good idea Cyclone, you should do a motor swap and see how the boat runs

  11. #9
    Banne'd Cobra1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,568

    Default

    KEM Equipment has a blown 6.0. They have the center riser exhaust on it.


    The Vortec 6.0 V8 marine engine features coil-near-plug
    ignition system, with both crankshaft sensor, and camshaft
    sensor. This is another example of GM Powertrain bringing
    advanced automotive technology to the marine engine market.
    Other features are hydraulic roller valve lifters, and crossbolted
    main caps.

    6.0 Supercharged Port Fuel Injected V8 504 HP



    http://www.kemequipment.com/superchargedvortec6000.html


    I'm sure they would sell the exhaust for a good price. And the intake with msd is about 700 bones from jegs. I've been looking into it as well. I found an article about the 6.0 being stroked to a 402 from the standard 366 ci. It put out 500 ponies on the dyno. That 100+ hp's over stock. Those engines will be dime a dozen. It might not be the best way to go for a jet, but it should kick some ass in a v-drive. I know the one in my 2500 will boogie right along.

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    just the basic port dimensions - center of port to center of next port, and locations of exhaust manifold bolt holes relative to the port center.

    hell with the truck, you need to get that 5.3 in a boat and see how it rips. If that is a ~300 hp truck engine, its probably around 350 hp with no water pump, power steering, etc dragging it down.... all with stock truck cam.
    Its a little dark outside, I'll do it tomorrow when I get off work.

    And I debated puttin one in my boat, but I think I'll just freshen up the 460 thats in it and let it be... heh.

  13. #11
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    fyi guys, there's tons of stainless ls1 headers on ebay for less than 200 bucks delivered for long tube headers that are polished ss they're for firebirds and cameros

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  14. #12
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    fyi guys, there's tons of stainless ls1 headers on ebay for less than 200 bucks delivered for long tube headers that are polished ss they're for firebirds and cameros
    damn pc is jacking up meant to say you can take a set of those longtube headers from ebay, flip them over and thru them on the other side, have a cheap set of ss boat headers, and they wouldn't look bad

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  15. #13
    Boss of the McIntyre Mob danhercules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norco
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    Someone should hit up Redline or Turnkey, some of the buggy motor guys. I have seen diffrent intakes, carb/EFI combos in the buggys out at Glamis. Some CRAZY HP. I am sure they can make boat dry headers or O/T headers. I am sure lightining can make some jacketed headers and not breaking the bank.


    Very first TPR 21' Deck. 528 BBF 736hp on pump gas built by High Flow Dynamics

    McIntyre Mob. Where the rejects play!

  16. #14
    Senior Member s2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    I have been thinking about an LS boat motor for a while, it is a no-brainer from a weight and power standpoint. And its a no brainer from a cost standpoint if you run an iron block 6.0 from a truck (LQ4 or LQ9). These things are high RPM screamers, with no oiling problems or heavy bottom end problems (limiting RPM with stock parts) like typ old school big blocks. The main problem is manifolds/headers. Nobody makes or sells them cheap enough to justify the cost. Indmar makes some but they are way too much money, and I heard Indmar wont sell the manifolds by themselves to the public at any cost (they want you to pay them $5 million for a gay stock 300 hp EFI wake boat LQ4).

    There are affordable stand alone spark controllers (msd and edelbrock) to fire the coil-on-plug, and carb manifolds to be able to run marine carb. I like efi but it would be too much hassle on a boat (IMO).

    As a work-around for the manifolds, I started looking into figuring out the port spacing of the LS series, and making up an adapter to run BBC or BBF logs/headers based on which one (BBC or BBF) is closest match to the LS port spacing. The internet is devoid of those kinds of data unfortunately.

    DO IT and post up the details.
    Order a set of LS flanges from SPD Exhaust.
    www.spdexhaust.com

    Then you'll have a sample for dimensions, and you might be able to utilize them to build your adapters.
    Chris @ Benchmark Performance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95