7 cylinders is better than none
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 58

Thread:
7 cylinders is better than none

  1. #1
    Seriously off center slowride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim/BHC- the Shack
    Posts
    2,439

    Default 7 cylinders is better than none

    I suppose it started a few years ago.... sadly the last time I dragged the Circus boat home and freshened her up. After putting a new plug wire set on, the idle was a little chunkier than before, but I still had the rpm, so it didn't concern me. For about the last year after going thru the channel at Harry's and into the back Bay, the engine would load up and drop a cylinder. Nailing it would clean it out, but it got progressively worse (4700 rpm max). Flash forward to last weekend. We went out on Saturday and sure enough, it loaded up. I had figured it was the air bleeds as I was into the transition circuit and may be a tad fat. Yesterday I pulled the plugs and found #2 had carbon deposits and was dark. All the others were perfect. I swapped #1 & 2 and hit the water. The idle was smoother, and it was back up to 5100 rpm. All was good going into the back bay, so we beached it and hung out for a while. When it was time to go, I pushed off, fired it up, and it was running on 7 again. Got it back in the driveway and pulled the plugs again. Number 1 (the old #2) was perfect.... nice and clean. I dreaded pulling #2, but when it came out, it too was good.
    At this point I think I've been haunted by this wire set all this time, so it's time to put another set on, and replace the dist with the Mallory I've had waiting for it for 2 years. Even the wife agreed it's time to drag her home this winter and go thru and freshen up the engine. Sure would be a shame if I had to put a new stroker crank in it......

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    I don't feel tardy Hallett Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slowride View Post
    I suppose it started a few years ago.... sadly the last time I dragged the Circus boat home and freshened her up. After putting a new plug wire set on, the idle was a little chunkier than before, but I still had the rpm, so it didn't concern me. For about the last year after going thru the channel at Harry's and into the back Bay, the engine would load up and drop a cylinder. Nailing it would clean it out, but it got progressively worse (4700 rpm max). Flash forward to last weekend. We went out on Saturday and sure enough, it loaded up. I had figured it was the air bleeds as I was into the transition circuit and may be a tad fat. Yesterday I pulled the plugs and found #2 had carbon deposits and was dark. All the others were perfect. I swapped #1 & 2 and hit the water. The idle was smoother, and it was back up to 5100 rpm. All was good going into the back bay, so we beached it and hung out for a while. When it was time to go, I pushed off, fired it up, and it was running on 7 again. Got it back in the driveway and pulled the plugs again. Number 1 (the old #2) was perfect.... nice and clean. I dreaded pulling #2, but when it came out, it too was good.
    At this point I think I've been haunted by this wire set all this time, so it's time to put another set on, and replace the dist with the Mallory I've had waiting for it for 2 years. Even the wife agreed it's time to drag her home this winter and go thru and freshen up the engine. Sure would be a shame if I had to put a new stroker crank in it......
    Yes Mike, nobody should ever have to do such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    Im non induced and My turd leaves pretty hard as she sits.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    I would leave it alone and just freshin it up. It seems that all the stroker fords as of late are putting rodney out the pan....

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Seriously off center slowride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim/BHC- the Shack
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    I would leave it alone and just freshin it up. It seems that all the stroker fords as of late are putting rodney out the pan....
    My shit's too slow to do that.....

  7. #5
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slowride View Post
    My shit's too slow to do that.....
    See, you allready know not to do it then.

  8. #6
    Short and stout nunes792003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    230

    Default 455 pontiac

    Fords are not the only ones losing rods. My buddy lost number seven rod out the side of the oil pan on sunday in his 455 pontiac.

  9. #7
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nunes792003 View Post
    Fords are not the only ones losing rods. My buddy lost number seven rod out the side of the oil pan on sunday in his 455 pontiac.
    Hell,

    I know a chick who not only through a rod but snapped a crank in two this weekend. Have you ever seen an engine getting spun by the starter and the harmonic balancer isn't spinning

    It was a first for me and a few others. I think the more beers you had in you the funnier it was.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  10. #8
    Driver 78CoLeBBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Golden Shores,AZ
    Posts
    3,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    I would leave it alone and just freshin it up. It seems that all the stroker fords as of late are putting rodney out the pan....
    just some mine and sleepers are still going and mine has been in a v-drive cruiser spinning 6800 rpm's all summer. well i did blow up a tranny and wasnt on the water for month or so
    Its a FORD thing chevy's arent quick enough to understand

  11. #9
    "Try it Now!" Tahiti Boss21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yucaipa, California
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post
    Hell,

    I know a chick who not only through a rod but snapped a crank in two this weekend. Have you ever seen an engine getting spun by the starter and the harmonic balancer isn't spinning

    It was a first for me and a few others. I think the more beers you had in you the funnier it was.

    S CP
    Volkwagen motors at Glamis with cast cranks and big paddles with good power will do this. Don't ask me how i know!
    1992 Eliminator Daytona 21'

  12. #10
    Seriously off center slowride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim/BHC- the Shack
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    See, you allready know not to do it then.
    I'm only looking for a measly 500-550 horse. Should be a piece of cake for a cast crank and a set of 4340 H beams.

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1

    Angry me too

    guess I'm not the only one with bbf problems. Thought I had a blown head gasket went to change them and found three cracked pistons!!!!

  14. #12
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slowride View Post
    I'm only looking for a measly 500-550 horse. Should be a piece of cake for a cast crank and a set of 4340 H beams.
    Good luck on your rebuild, my off-set ground cast 460 crank 512 made 710 hp and then we put a 200 hp Nos system on that. Those Ford cranks are stout and there are a few ways to build inexpensive strokers. Several companies have on the shelf pistons now.

    S CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  15. #13
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,161

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    It seems that all the stroker fords as of late are putting rodney out the pan....
    Who broke, Futs?

    LO
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2020 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

  16. #14
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,161

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by slowride View Post
    I'm only looking for a measly 500-550 horse. Should be a piece of cake for a cast crank and a set of 4340 H beams.
    Mike you don't necessarily need a stroker for that (or H beams) but for your application the bigger cubes will put the power where you want it indeed.

    LO
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2020 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95