FACT CHECKER TENZALLOY Vs. 356-T6
+ Reply to Thread

Thread:
FACT CHECKER TENZALLOY Vs. 356-T6

ATM
    Amerian Turbine Man

Default FACT CHECKER TENZALLOY Vs. 356-T6

In another thread it was posted that Tenzalloy was "Higher Tensile, also a tougher strength by 8,000 to 12,000 over 356 T6"

THAT'S JUST NOT TRUE

Here are the true facts.
    356-T6 Ultimate Tensile (ksi) 40 Yield Strength 30 (ksi)
    Tenzalloy Ultimate Tensile (ksi) 34 Yield Strength 23 (ksi)

Anyone that wants a copy of "Typical Mechanical Properties of Cast Alloys"
    give me a call I'll send you one out.

Ron Gordon

One less DEALER means more DISCOUNT for you

2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

Prune-Picker

Are you sure there's room for facts on this site

Cs

Here you go again Ron... Overstating facts... Go to the Navy write up and why its the alloy of choice with them... Go to the Ingot as cast, unless you don't cast from ingot's and besides I already said we now use the more bunk contaminated alloy 356 the same as you use. Why are your Prices so High use-ing a cheaper alloy like 356. Davey
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-29-2009 at 04:32 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

ATM
    Amerian Turbine Man

Quoted from Dave
    “I have not a clue on your Tenzaloy Alloy comment as every chart I have seen shows it with a 8,000 higher strength.”

Dave maybe you could provide a link to YOUR chart, I have been researching the 713 Tenzaloy for two days and nowhere have I found that Tenzaloy (713) is 8,000 higher strength.

When I make a statement that is intended to inform the JET BOATING public I just don’t pull numbers out of my ASS.

Below are links that forum members can go to and see for themselves, by the way we are comparing Tenzaloy AA#713 to A356-T6

http://www.franklinbronze.com/sand-c...um-casting.htm

http://www.alu-bra.com/pdf/AluminumSpecs.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    Quoted from Dave
    “I have not a clue on your Tenzaloy Alloy comment as every chart I have seen shows it with a 8,000 higher strength.”

Dave maybe you could provide a link to YOUR chart, I have been researching the 713 Tenzaloy for two days and nowhere have I found that Tenzaloy (713) is 8,000 higher strength.

When I make a statement that is intended to inform the JET BOATING public I just don’t pull numbers out of my ASS.

Below are links that forum members can go to and see for themselves, by the way we are comparing Tenzaloy AA#713 to A356-T6

http://www.franklinbronze.com/sand-c...um-casting.htm

http://www.alu-bra.com/pdf/AluminumSpecs.pdf
    I do not pull them or misrepresent them, as you have on this alloy in the Past. I am Having my Office walls cutout and door double doors put in to walk out to the shop and re-locating all my shelf's for more room, I am tore up right now. I have some place the Military, Navy Spec and codes on Tenzaloy, which is very detail in its added applications and added capability's for shock type applications. its been 5 Years or better since we Ran the Alloy and went to 356 If not I know where to get a Copy.

I will find it, I assure you,and Post. Much of our Alloy's are picked by the metallurgist to assist in our alloy applications and usage... This one very much was. as multiple meeting were held on this subject, before the Alloy was picked. So the alloy was not scratched out of my ass as you infer. I assume you will make a public appoligize if you are wrong, As I will if the reverse is found.

E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clockstart View Post
    Are you sure there's room for facts on this site

Cs
    It's a VERY tight fit, certainly not much room.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

ATM
    Amerian Turbine Man

Dave, let me make myself very clear. I am not putting down Tenzaloy, I am saying that Tenzaloy is not 8000 stronger than A356-T6. We made impellers out of Tenzaloy from 1976 until 1993 if it was that much stronger we'd still be using the stuff.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    Dave, let me make myself very clear. I am not putting down Tenzaloy, I am saying that Tenzaloy is not 8000 stronger than A356-T6. We made impellers out of Tenzaloy from 1976 until 1993 if it was that much stronger we'd still be using the stuff.

Ron
    Ron you put the burden on me to Prove or Disprove, so I will make contact with MBF Its just across the alley, See if the spec sheet is there we had as the basis on the dicision to go with it. It is a advanced alloy, requiring Argon Purge, for gas out yet it will take a candy anodize over polished surface... The Mag and pure alloy (No bunk or silicone)makes me know it exceeds 356T6. I just tore up the Garage looking for a copy. MBF will know far better then how to get a copy of the Military Report. It sure seems to me that Tenzaloy came in at 32,000 while 356 is 24,000. The Alloy gets far more advanced then the tinsel it has absolute resistance to sea water, corrosion, fracture (No Heat Treat as it self annealing) its recommended for applications where it is hammered such as cut off saw handles, Tool Holding fixtures, and so on... Will find !!! fact I just found a Company that is using it for to manufacture machine table blocks. I Can't believe we paid .24 to .32 cents more per pound less Heat Treat all though we aged our;s in the ovens as they run 24-7 anyway, we did save on Heat Treat as it self aged to T6 in 2 weeks. I know i am stupid but I hope not that.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-30-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Prune-Picker

The Franklin site listed above has a nice chart of Aluminum alloy characteristics. It rates the alloys on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being best. I enhanced the chart a bit by adding color. 1 or 2 is green, 3 is yellow, 4 or 5 is red. Notice what catagories each alloy scores high in.

Cs

Prune-Picker

Well that didn't work

I guess I have to go back and read more instructions on posting pics.

Cs

Tenzaloy "shines" in the appearance catagories.
    Last edited by Clockstart; 09-30-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: increase pix size - add commentary

Quote Originally Posted by Clockstart View Post
    Well that didn't work

I guess I have to go back and read more instructions on posting pics.

Cs

Tenzaloy "shines" in the appearance catagories.
    I found that chart today... the molicular structure is so much tighter and denser in Tenzaloy in the as Cast format... we split open both and the 356 is a much larger, more Void structure inside the casting. "Its got me going now". Thats a cast chart, I want the Load charts. It will not Polish as Bright as 356 I seen that
    not bad but next to 356 its a little lite. Thank You
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-30-2009 at 07:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread