Info on Southwind T-Deck?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 19

Thread:
Info on Southwind T-Deck?

  1. #1
    Senior Member BigBoyToys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    981

    Default Info on Southwind T-Deck?

    I just picked up a Southwind T-Deck Jet, 18' 6" and don't recall ever seeing one before. Does anyone have any info and specs on this hull? Would be nice to know the weight, how good they run, how well they turn, how much power to get to a decent speed, bottom design, etc.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member BigBoyToys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Here's some pics of it














  4. #3
    Senior Member BigBoyToys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    981

    Default

    This will be my winter project this year. Will be completely stripping it, doing some bottom work, flowcoat the floors, new Pump, new motor, new interior, and new paint. Will be like brand new when I'm done with it by spring time. Gotta have something to do when I have 4' of snow out my front door

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    southwindsforsure justsquirtin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rio linda calif
    Posts
    645

    Default

    go southwind=looks like one that was for sale here in sacramento=nice

  7. #5
    Senior Member BigBoyToys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justsquirtin View Post
    go southwind=looks like one that was for sale here in sacramento=nice
    It was. I picked it up in Roseville. Parents are going to be bringing it up to me next week when they head up north for a visit. It was a hell of a price on it and I couldn't pass it up. Since my parents were already planning on a trip up here it was worth it to me because I didn't have to pay for shipping

  8. #6
    Senior Member BigBoyToys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Ideally, I'd like to get another Syndicate T-Deck like the Orange one in my Avatar (Next to the Biesemeyer in the pic) but I haven't been able to find one so this will have to do. I never should have sold the Syndicate (or the Biesemeyer)

  9. #7
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    The formula 1 (T deck) has the same bottom as the 18. The deck was retooled for the t deck for a circle boat. There was one that we built for the Kjet class with a huge alky motor that ran a few times and then the class dissolved. that was always one of my favorites. Lakes only has a real nice one built by the new owner out of nor cal.( ha, i keep saying new owner, but this guy has owned it for almost 25 years now) I drove his boat and really enjoyed it. His has 1x4 full length stringers and balsa floor. I say it weighs in the 400-500 # range. the standard ones wernt full stringer boats, but there were some made along with the 18.

    The southwind bottom is actually a 20' esquire (sp) cut down. Jack at mpd has that whole story about "southwinds" and how they came about in the mid to late 60's before my grandpa bought it.

  10. #8
    Senior Member BigBoyToys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    The formula 1 (T deck) has the same bottom as the 18. The deck was retooled for the t deck for a circle boat. There was one that we built for the Kjet class with a huge alky motor that ran a few times and then the class dissolved. that was always one of my favorites. Lakes only has a real nice one built by the new owner out of nor cal.( ha, i keep saying new owner, but this guy has owned it for almost 25 years now) I drove his boat and really enjoyed it. His has 1x4 full length stringers and balsa floor. I say it weighs in the 400-500 # range. the standard ones wernt full stringer boats, but there were some made along with the 18.

    The southwind bottom is actually a 20' esquire (sp) cut down. Jack at mpd has that whole story about "southwinds" and how they came about in the mid to late 60's before my grandpa bought it.
    Excellent info!! Thanks!!
    I love turning left, so was actually looking for a good turning Jet. Maybe this could be the one? I have 4 others right now that just didn't do it for me so I got this one and will try it again. 400-500 pounds sounds decent. I think I can deal with that.
    How do these hulls run? Do I need to do a pump setback? I am going to be building a new full race pump and a mild motor for it this winter. Looking for a good turning boat that will run in the mid 80's to low 90's (Hopefully). I'm hoping I can get it there with 650-700 hp. 25 years huh? Hmmm...This guy that I got it from recently got the boat....said previous owner owned it for 25 years....
    Last edited by BigBoyToys; 10-23-2009 at 05:53 PM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyToys View Post
    Excellent info!! Thanks!!
    I love turning left, so was actually looking for a good turning Jet. Maybe this could be the one? I have 4 others right now that just didn't do it for me so I got this one and will try it again. 400-500 pounds sounds decent. I think I can deal with that.
    How do these hulls run? Do I need to do a pump setback? I am going to be building a new full race pump and a mild motor for it this winter. Looking for a good turning boat that will run in the mid 80's to low 90's (Hopefully). I'm hoping I can get it there with 650-700 hp. 25 years huh? Hmmm...This guy that I got it from recently got the boat....said previous owner owned it for 25 years....
    lakes only's weighs about that, not yours. Yours would be heavier i would believe. I wouldnt do a set back or a bottom B/P unless you want handeling issues. thats just my opinion. Im not saying they turn great, this was just an average ski boat, not made for all out racing. I was just telling why the t deck came about. The circle boat that we built had alot of bottom work and it was made as a race boat from the get. not saying it wont do you right,just saying it is just a ski boat. One of these days i will get all my grandpas and dads slides put to discs. There are some awesome pictures in there from the old days.

  12. #10
    Ya right ! Kim Hanson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    471

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyToys View Post
    Here's some pics of it













    You thinking about becoming a fire fighter now, what happened to the vdrive......( . )( . )................
    BULL-SHIAT !

  13. #11
    southwindsforsure justsquirtin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    rio linda calif
    Posts
    645

    Default

    my friend and i went to look at this boat a couple months ago when the motor was in it=its was a decent price then but not what he was looking for-good fine and good luck with build=nothing better than another southwind on the water

  14. #12
    Senior Member moneysucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Descanso, California, United States
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    Those sats look like they sould be in a v drive. I have never seen that seating configurtion in a jet. The 18 bottoms porpose at speed. LO may be able to help point you in the right direction in that area. They are fun boats but nothing worth throwing big power at.
    Vinyl Graphics, Magnetic signs, Reg #s, Boat names, Banners, Boat decals, Etc. Please contact me Via facebook or e-mail [email protected].

  15. #13
    Half a bubble off jrork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington
    Posts
    2,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyToys View Post
    Excellent info!! Thanks!!
    I love turning left, so was actually looking for a good turning Jet. Maybe this could be the one? I have 4 others right now that just didn't do it for me so I got this one and will try it again. 400-500 pounds sounds decent. I think I can deal with that.
    How do these hulls run? Do I need to do a pump setback? I am going to be building a new full race pump and a mild motor for it this winter. Looking for a good turning boat that will run in the mid 80's to low 90's (Hopefully). I'm hoping I can get it there with 650-700 hp. 25 years huh? Hmmm...This guy that I got it from recently got the boat....said previous owner owned it for 25 years....
    Nice boat Jimmy. FWIW, that bottom is identical to mine. Not a real good turner but anything is possible.

    Take care..........john

  16. #14
    Senior Member watergun4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Visalia, California, United States
    Posts
    1,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyToys View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to get another Syndicate T-Deck like the Orange one in my Avatar (Next to the Biesemeyer in the pic) but I haven't been able to find one so this will have to do. I never should have sold the Syndicate (or the Biesemeyer)
    Here is a syndicate for you,,,,,,, To look at!
    Last edited by watergun4u; 10-11-2010 at 10:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95