Shoe question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 26

Thread:
Shoe question

  1. #1
    You Cant See Me slough-cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kerman, Ca
    Posts
    129

    Default Shoe question

    Ok I currently have a shoe that is 1/2" thick. My question is would I be able to get a little better mph by going with a 5/8" or 3/4" shoe. If you had to choose wich one should I try first. The boat is a 19' Condor (like a CP). With a MPD 080 101 intake. I am currently running an a/b ss impeller with droop and place diverter with a 3 1/8" nozzle and loader. Boat is running between 82 and 85 mph depending on air and h2o conditions. Any advice would be much appreitiated.
    Do it in the water

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    eay way to find out is try shims, usually just .025 -.030 at a time. 1/8 - 1/4 at a time is huge, needless to say dangerous. You have to sneek up on your set-up, it it could end in a bad way.
    Upper Midwest Power Boat Association
    DRAG BOAT RACING UMPBA #926


  4. #3
    Spiral out MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Take the nozzle out 1st......easiest change, to see what that does.

    What rpm are you turning at 82/85 mph?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    You Cant See Me slough-cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kerman, Ca
    Posts
    129

    Default Rpm

    It is turning 5600-5700 rpm.


    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Take the nozzle out 1st......easiest change, to see what that does.

    What rpm are you turning at 82/85 mph?
    Do it in the water

  7. #5
    Spiral out MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slough-cruiser View Post
    It is turning 5600-5700 rpm.
    Your a/b impeller rpm does not match up to your speed (amount of water moved)....... You're losing something somewhere. A typical vbottom boat (good bottom)(solidly built pump) will gain about 10mph per 500rpm.

    By your first post.....it is a flat shoe?

    Pump pictures?

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Piedmont, OK
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slough-cruiser View Post
    Ok I currently have a shoe that is 1/2" thick. My question is would I be able to get a little better mph by going with a 5/8" or 3/4" shoe. If you had to choose wich one should I try first. The boat is a 19' Condor (like a CP). With a MPD 080 101 intake. I am currently running an a/b ss impeller with droop and place diverter with a 3 1/8" nozzle and loader. Boat is running between 82 and 85 mph depending on air and h2o conditions. Any advice would be much appreitiated.
    Is it a TX-19? Is the shoe below the keel? If so how much? Start off slow, if you drop the shoe below the keel to much your asking for TROUBLE!

  9. #7
    You Cant See Me slough-cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kerman, Ca
    Posts
    129

    Default Heres some pics of the pump and the bottom

    Hope these help.




    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Your a/b impeller rpm does not match up to your speed (amount of water moved)....... You're losing something somewhere. A typical vbottom boat (good bottom)(solidly built pump) will gain about 10mph per 500rpm.

    By your first post.....it is a flat shoe?

    Pump pictures?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX 19  bottom 001.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	58364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX 19  bottom 003.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	288.5 KB 
ID:	58365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX 19  bottom 005.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	58366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TX 19  bottom 010.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	58367  
    Do it in the water

  10. #8
    You Cant See Me slough-cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kerman, Ca
    Posts
    129

    Default One more ?

    What RPM should I be turning with my a/b. My pump spins up to a little over 6000 and then hooks up. It seems to leave pretty well. But if I can make it leave better that would be great.




    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Your a/b impeller rpm does not match up to your speed (amount of water moved)....... You're losing something somewhere. A typical vbottom boat (good bottom)(solidly built pump) will gain about 10mph per 500rpm.

    By your first post.....it is a flat shoe?

    Pump pictures?
    Do it in the water

  11. #9
    Spiral out MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    About 90+.

    My opinions on what to do.........in order.

    1. Buy cheapy degree measuring tool.

    2. Add strengthening rails to your rideplate......looks bent (by water force).....straighten (via support rails) and raise to 5deg up min from keel line. (likely more later)

    3. Backcut shoe....mpd (as you said that is where the intake came from)(be ready w/ dimensions of your shoe for Jack)

    4. Remove wedge.

    5. Adj and take note of where each notch on the diverter handle "places" the diverter at......and "speed" run the diverter at 5 deg up....then adj accordingly up a little more until your best result.

    6. Grind off the bottom of the lower part of the "vertical" stingers on the loader.....square or slightly up to the "keel line". (details, details)


    7. Take notes.....and continue to adjust and record results.

    That's where I'd start.....and stay safe......be sure of your surroundings!

  12. #10
    You Cant See Me slough-cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kerman, Ca
    Posts
    129

    Default Thanks for the input

    I only have one ?
    I just put the wedge on the boat. It picked up about 2 mph. Do you think its ok for know, just untill I make some of the changes you suggested.





    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    About 90+.

    My opinions on what to do.........in order.

    1. Buy cheapy degree measuring tool.

    2. Add strengthening rails to your rideplate......looks bent (by water force).....straighten (via support rails) and raise to 5deg up min from keel line. (likely more later)

    3. Backcut shoe....mpd (as you said that is where the intake came from)(be ready w/ dimensions of your shoe for Jack)

    4. Remove wedge.

    5. Adj and take note of where each notch on the diverter handle "places" the diverter at......and "speed" run the diverter at 5 deg up....then adj accordingly up a little more until your best result.

    6. Grind off the bottom of the lower part of the "vertical" stingers on the loader.....square or slightly up to the "keel line". (details, details)


    7. Take notes.....and continue to adjust and record results.

    That's where I'd start.....and stay safe......be sure of your surroundings!
    Do it in the water

  13. #11
    Spiral out MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Ok.....leave wedge in.

    Take notes......

    Remove nozzle......

    Continue moving forward.

  14. #12
    Spiral out MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Another thing......make sure there is enough threads engaged in/on the turnbuckles for the ride plate to keep it from pulling apart.

    Safety 1st.

  15. #13
    You Cant See Me slough-cruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kerman, Ca
    Posts
    129

    Default Thanks mike f

    Will give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks again for the help.






    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    another thing......make sure there is enough threads engaged in/on the turnbuckles for the ride plate to keep it from pulling apart.

    Safety 1st.
    Do it in the water

  16. #14
    U Kno It OMEGA MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kerman, CA
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Take the wedge out. The boat ran 85 in Bako without it.
    SLOUGH CREW
    U kno it !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95