Mecury Kill switch
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread:
Mecury Kill switch

  1. #1
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default Mecury Kill switch

    Getting ready to order a mercury kill switch and noticed two different
    styles,

    Just curious if I ever wanted to run my tank down the track, what is the kill switch required to do?
    I can install one that grounds the MSD and shuts down the ignition
    or does it need to kill all power?
    #55

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Getting ready to order a mercury kill switch and noticed two different
    styles,

    Just curious if I ever wanted to run my tank down the track, what is the kill switch required to do?
    I can install one that grounds the MSD and shuts down the ignition
    or does it need to kill all power?
    On an MSD you want to ground out the box, if using a mag pickup distributor ground the unused white trigger wire to kill. When using a points style distributor or one which requires the white wire to trigger the box, you ground the purple wire on the unused mag pickup lead to kill.

    MSD does not recomend cutting power to the box as a saftey/kill feature.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-28-2009 at 12:00 PM.

  4. #3
    Senior Member cruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chandler, Az
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Do you run a MAG or MSD/regular distributer? I don't know how to wire a MAG version, but with the regular distributor/MSD version, you wire the switch into the ignition circuit from the key to the MSD box. The switch is normally closed so the signal from the key switch activates the MSD box. When you pull the lanyard, this disconnects the MSD box from the ignition switch, and shuts the motor down.

    If you also use an electric fuel pump, and the pump is turned on via the ignition switch, the pump will also stop when you pull the lanyard. (Assuming that the ignition signal is connected to your pump/relay at the back of the boat, after where you wire the kill switch into the ignition circuit.)

    So it should be :
    Ignition switch, Kill switch, MSD box and/or electric fuel pump, all in series.
    Cruzer
    21 Eliminator Daytona. Blown 540

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    I'm running a MSD 6A and using the white wire to trigger from a Haltech
    EMS,
    the fuel pumps are controlled by the EMS, they will shut down without a trigger signal.
    all I have to do is ground the violet wire to disable the MSD. But wondering if the rules at a track required anything more.
    #55

  7. #5
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    On an MSD you want to ground out the box, if using a mag pickup distributor ground the unused white trigger wire to kill. When using a points style distributor or one which requires the white wire to trigger the box, you ground the purple wire on the unused mag pickup lead to kill.

    MSD does not recomend cutting power to the box as a saftey/kill feature.
    are you talking magneto???

    the msd boxes i've had all have main +/- power directly connected to the battery. they also have a red ignition wire to the ignition switch to turn the thing on and off. you can wire your kill switch into the ignition wire, OR the primary power wire to the dash, which should shutdown everything operated from the dash. neither of these wires should be the main battery power supply to your msd box.
    the purpose of the switch is to shutdown the engine in case you get tossed, not necessarily kill all power to the boat. it's a good idea to have one, even for mild lake/river boats - ask oldsquirt...
    in this type of kill switch, the contact "opens" to shutdown the engine. with a magneto, the contact "closes", which grounds the mag shutting down the engine.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    are you talking magneto???

    the msd boxes i've had all have main +/- power directly connected to the battery. they also have a red ignition wire to the ignition switch to turn the thing on and off. you can wire your kill switch into the ignition wire, OR the primary power wire to the dash, which should shutdown everything operated from the dash. neither of these wires should be the main battery power supply to your msd box.
    the purpose of the switch is to shutdown the engine in case you get tossed, not necessarily kill all power to the boat. it's a good idea to have one, even for mild lake/river boats - ask oldsquirt...
    in this type of kill switch, the contact "opens" to shutdown the engine. with a magneto, the contact "closes", which grounds the mag shutting down the engine.
    Perhaps my abbreviation was a poor one, Mag Pickup = Magnetic Pickup I guess i figured most ppl would realize that. My bad

  9. #7
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Perhaps my abbreviation was a poor one, Mag Pickup = Magnetic Pickup I guess i figured most ppl would realize that. My bad
    I knew exactly what your were referring to,

    So I'm good to go disabling the MSD. That makes it easy
    #55

  10. #8
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I knew exactly what your were referring to,

    So I'm good to go disabling the MSD. That makes it easy
    Glad to help, and just for credibility

    http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4378

  11. #9
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Perhaps my abbreviation was a poor one, Mag Pickup = Magnetic Pickup I guess i figured most ppl would realize that. My bad
    i see what you are describing josh, under "theft deterrent". i just don't see anything describing that switch being used to shutdown the box.
    i still prefer to interupt the 12v ignition source to the box... same wire used to power up/down the msd box everytime the ignition switch is operated. placing the kill switch in that circuit won't do anything more or less than the ignition switch routinely does.

    not that i know or not, but it -seems- to me, that leaving the box powered up while grounded through the magnetic pickup wouldn't be a great thing for the box either... dunno, just makes me shudder a little bit.

  12. #10
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    i see what you are describing josh, under "theft deterrent". i just don't see anything describing that switch being used to shutdown the box.
    i still prefer to interupt the 12v ignition source to the box... same wire used to power up/down the msd box everytime the ignition switch is operated. placing the kill switch in that circuit won't do anything more or less than the ignition switch routinely does.

    not that i know or not, but it -seems- to me, that leaving the box powered up while grounded through the magnetic pickup wouldn't be a great thing for the box either... dunno, just makes me shudder a little bit.
    I see what your saying BP, I posted the question on their site

    Wow got a answer already,

    "Using the theft deterrent as an emergency kill is an approved method on the 6A product lines.
    do not use this option on the digital series boxes"
    Last edited by Outlaw; 10-28-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: info
    #55

  13. #11
    Senior Member slotracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    are you talking magneto???

    the msd boxes i've had all have main +/- power directly connected to the battery. they also have a red ignition wire to the ignition switch to turn the thing on and off. you can wire your kill switch into the ignition wire, OR the primary power wire to the dash, which should shutdown everything operated from the dash. neither of these wires should be the main battery power supply to your msd box.
    the purpose of the switch is to shutdown the engine in case you get tossed, not necessarily kill all power to the boat. it's a good idea to have one, even for mild lake/river boats - ask oldsquirt...
    in this type of kill switch, the contact "opens" to shutdown the engine. with a magneto, the contact "closes", which grounds the mag shutting down the engine.
    now Bob, thats not nice to remind oldsquirt about his swimming days
    slot
    87 eliminator
    next boat ??????????????
    new owner of the redneck yacht club
    Stockton, ca.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    ii still prefer to interupt the 12v ignition source to the box... same wire used to power up/down the msd box everytime the ignition switch is operated. placing the kill switch in that circuit won't do anything more or less than the ignition switch routinely does. .

    I use this method as it was advised to me by members of this board. Works great to shut her down or keep it from starting when im not in it.. I dont do any racing so i dont know if it is approved for racing but it seems to work great. For me at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95