WTB Transom cover
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 29

Thread:
WTB Transom cover

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    30

    Default WTB Transom cover

    Looking for a deep Aluminum transom cover for a set back pump installation.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member JDG911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MESA
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z racing View Post
    looking for a deep aluminum transom cover for a set back pump installation.
    depending on how far you set it back you more than likley will have to make it like this one that i did
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pump set back.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	58939  

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    30

    Default

    What you made would work for my application but no time to fabricate one. That is why I was trying to find one to buy. Too many projects going at once. I drag race pro bikes, snowmobiles, boats, anything fast. Thanks for the reply if you hear of anything let me know.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member lbhsbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Racing View Post
    What you made would work for my application but no time to fabricate one. That is why I was trying to find one to buy. Too many projects going at once. I drag race pro bikes, snowmobiles, boats, anything fast. Thanks for the reply if you hear of anything let me know.

    I've got a fiberglass one...not too pretty but it's about 8" deep I think. Needs a little bodywork but it'll do the job. I'll send you some pics tonight if you want. PM me your email address.

  7. #5
    B1 Racing cs19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,523

    Default

    Your going to be stuck with the deep fiberglass one if you dont want to fab something up. I think GS Marine has the mold for that piece, if not he knows where to get one.

    Chris.
    B1Racing.net

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cs19 View Post
    Your going to be stuck with the deep fiberglass one if you dont want to fab something up. I think GS Marine has the mold for that piece, if not he knows where to get one.

    Chris.
    Thanks guys, i ended up staying up late last night and have my template made. Dave at CP talked me into it and has told me what i need to do. I do have one question. Should i make my aluminum plate out of 1/4 inch or what would be best? Thanks for the responses. You all have been a big help.

    Tom
    Z Racing

  9. #7
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    Only needs to be 1/8th inch, or .125 thick. I've made them from .250 and .200 aluminum before, my current deal is .200 thick. If your mounting your steering tube on it, with the berkeley cut out, you may want to go with a minimum of .200 to reduce flex IMO. A pump brace is also in order, you won't have the extra support of the transom adapter.
    Upper Midwest Power Boat Association
    DRAG BOAT RACING UMPBA #926


  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    921

    Default transom cover

    i have a deep polished transom cover, Jim

  11. #9
    B1 Racing cs19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,523

    Default

    3/16 minimum for the aluminum plate. 1/4 is fine.
    B1Racing.net

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcrafter View Post
    Only needs to be 1/8th inch, or .125 thick. I've made them from .250 and .200 aluminum before, my current deal is .200 thick. If your mounting your steering tube on it, with the berkeley cut out, you may want to go with a minimum of .200 to reduce flex IMO. A pump brace is also in order, you won't have the extra support of the transom adapter.

    Thanks for the input, I am going to go to 1/4 inch aluminum. Do you have any pics showing pump braces. I am also going to weld a plate on the inside of the transom plate for the steering tube to make the same thickness of a stock berkeley cover. Thanks Tom Z Racing

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brock View Post
    i have a deep polished transom cover, Jim

    Thanks for getting back too me. I have made and went with flate aluminum plates. Thanks Tom Z Racing

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cs19 View Post
    3/16 minimum for the aluminum plate. 1/4 is fine.
    Thanks I am going to go with the 1/4 inch plate. Thanks Tom Z Racing

  15. #13
    Young Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    BBL
    Posts
    319

    Default

    how much more power does that really give you?
    and is it worth the time, effort, money, ect.?

  16. #14
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Racing View Post
    Thanks for the input, I am going to go to 1/4 inch aluminum. Do you have any pics showing pump braces. I am also going to weld a plate on the inside of the transom plate for the steering tube to make the same thickness of a stock berkeley cover. Thanks Tom Z Racing
    As far as the pump brace pics..do a search for" let's see your pump braces" there is a few threads that come up. I'd do a link if I knew how.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95